1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sorry but untrue. The only reason that it won't boot up is if the copy or media is bad. When XPSP2 came out I copied XP onto my hard disk and then slipstreamed SP2 into it, created an ISO and then burned it which resulted in a perfect copy of XP with SP2. I did it because I got tired of having to download SP1 before SP2 and the lack of security with the original XP CD. The only thing that's needed to make XP legal is a legal CD key.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  2. 64026402

64026402 Active member

novicebb,

You may need the floppy to install controller drivers during the initial blue install screen. When it asks if you need to install SCSI drivers you tell it yes, then give it the floppy with your controller drivers.
    Some boards and controllers don't work with the default Windows drivers.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    That was an interesting article. Many have said that Dell was just selling the low end PCs. Seems your article mentioned Dell actually avoided that end of the market to a certain degree and lost market share there. Plus, lost market share to companies using AMD for 7 quarters due to AMD cutting into the Intel market (Dell has been strictly Intel). Makes sense as AMD has made a big move into PCs and has had the best "mouse trap' the last couple of years. Dell was still growing, just not at the large leaps it was making in the past. More and better competition nowadays. Look at the growth improvement of ACER, yet their relatively small market share. Dell is still the giant in the business, but it looks like it wouldn't hurt to make some AMD systems to keep the comsumers happy. When you look inside the PCs from different companies, there's usually little difference in the components used in many of them.

As for the thread being off topic, discussing the equipment as well as the tech changes helps pass the time. How many times can we say Intel needs to pick it up. Dell being the big manufacturer and relying on Intel, how many times can we say they need to diversify. The rest starts getting into politics.

What I got from the C-Net article was that Intel is #1 and Dell is #1, with both seeing a drastic reduction in growth. The reduction and the increased competition resulting in loss of market share, but their profits have increased as a whole. So, over all, they've not lost anything except gains in the increased market, they've failed to grow as fast as their competitors; which becomes increasingly difficult being the biggest faced with the increasing competition on different markets worldwide and Dell so far relying solely on the Intel processors.

4. vspede

vspede Member

Deleted previous post. I understand now.

Scratch all what I said above. The guy helped me fix it. He sent me another program and sure enough my FSB was 540 and not 1080 like AI OC program said. I did his suggestion and fixed it. its now at a solid FSB 1000 and cpu 2.75 Ghz. I don't now if its a glitch or a marketing ploy extended to AI OC interface but man thats crazy.

Btw, brobear. If you wanna learn more about OC this other place knows their stuff. This one guy led me every step of the way and answered 100 of my questions. Just me and him posting over and over lol. But he got me through all of it and even addressed my RAM questions too. Heres the place if you don't already know it.

http://www.computerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

And heres the thread where the guy totally helped me. I have the same username there too.

http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42551&page=3

I'm so glad for that guy. I have no idea if this is true but the program he told me "Central Brain Identifier" says my 3700+ after OC rates a 4525+. it makes me feel good.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

vspede
    Thanks for the links. I'll see what's there. Glad to see you got your system tweaked. Why don't you run the SiSoft Sandra benches we've been doing to see how it's improved over the stock settings? In case you're not familiar with it, theres a database of benches for comparison in the app. It would have been interesting had you done them prior to the tweaking to see how much of an improvement you actually got. The Sandra Lite is free.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

vspede,

I was unable to get either of the links to work. I got an error message!

sammorris,

I installed the Athlon XP 2500 (that's what the start up screen says) and it runs pretty fast. I set the fsb to 333. It runs a little warm (50C or so but I have to install a case fan tomorrow. I put a 2 fan 480 watt power supply in it and a pure copper "Master Cooler" on the CPU. It should do just about anything that she needs to do with it. Thank you very much. By the way, I tried the Athlon 1000 with the bus set at 200, but it ran way too hot and did a thermal shut down after about 20 min. Also I did notice that the Athlon XP 2500 is way faster than the Sempron 2500 that I recently built for a customer.

To all,

Has anyone ever heard of a hard drive with no slave setting? I have an old Seagate 4.6 GB that I would like to install in the 2500 for extra storage but it only has master and CS. Very weird! This was a very low budget system with the MB being the only part purchased for it. I donated everything else from things I had laying around. I gave my housemate my 19" Dell CRT and am giving her his old Vision 17"CRT

Thanks again for everyone's help,
    theonejrs

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  7. crowy

crowy Guest

I'm excited!!
    Retiring my old faithful athlon xp1700+ setup.
    Has been running oc at 1677mhz on stock cooling since the second day I built it(approx 3.5 years ago).
    Due this week is my new system.
    DFI lanparty ultra nf4.I think you can even overclock your floppy drive with this(LOL).
    AMD athlon 3800+ dual core
    GeForce FX6600LE 256MB PCI-E video card with DVI
    Corsair 1GB Value select (2x512MB) PC3200 DDR400
    Sony 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
    OTC HR-H930 case (500W) (Black)
    Using the hard drives from my old system(2x seagate barracuda 120gb and 40gb 7200 rpm)
    Cant wait to see the difference to the old system especially video encoding times.
    Will be playing around with o/c options and noting the difference.
    Will probably get a thermaltake big typhoon cpu cooler some time down the track but for now will just have some fun as it is.
    For anyone that cares here is the list from the site and prices in AUS dollars.

http://www.pcshopper.com.au/product.php?productid=44715&cat=248&page=2 $458
    http://www.pcshopper.com.au/product.php?productid=45427&cat=425&page=2 $199
    http://www.pcshopper.com.au/product.php?productid=43550&cat=408&page=2 $145
    http://www.pcshopper.com.au/product.php?productid=44074&cat=309&page=1 $139
    http://www.pcshopper.com.au/product.php?productid=43933&cat=342&page=1 $55

8. crowy

crowy Guest

Nearly forgot!
    LG GSA_H10A burn everything as fast as you can burner purchased about 3 weeks ago.
    And my old sony DRU510a.

9. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sophocles
    I think this thread IS ON THE RIGHT TRACK. Why would you not want to help another person with a computer problem. Of all the threads this one has the most knowlegable people of all the threads. I know that some of the questions may seem simple to some of us. To others, it is like a new world. Remember when we did not know as much as we do now.
    If it was not for Brobear, this thread is so slanted to amd it is silly. So it is not really Intel vs Amd. It is Amd rules Intel S---s.
    help your brothers that want to be as good as you are.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Have to say, Intel sort of brought that on themselves as far as bragging rights go. LOL Intel isn't hurting too much though, they're still the big dealer. It will help if the promised performance CPUs pan out. I've been happy with the Intels, including the one I recently built. However, if Intel doesn't get better on the dual cores, I'll probably go with an Opteron. As for laptops, I like the Centrino. At present, both companies have a nice offering. AMD still holds the high performance edge and the low end sales edge. Even Dell who relies solely on Intel is doing well. Sophocles' question is a bit misleading. Dell didn't drop in sales, they dropped in share sold relative to the competition. Sales actually increased for the year.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2006
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, I got something right!

Absolutely, Athlon XPs are good processors, about the cream of the 32-bit crop.

It should be, generally XPs perform about 200mhz below what the rating says, so like a traditional 2300mhz P4, whereas Semprons are about 600mhz behind (well the 32-bit ones anyway), so that'd make it 1900, possibly worse still, they weren't fast those Barton Semprons at all. At least with Palermo we're back on track.

The FSB may not be 200 then. try 133 and see what happens.

No probs, enjoy your XP!

Crowy: I'd be looking forward to it as well, but there's no such thing as an FX6600LE. FX only applied to the 5000 series.

Erm, there'd be a good reason for that!

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed that.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Guess there was enough cream to go around, the P4 Gallitins, Northwoods, and Xeon Noconas are creamy as well for 32 bit single cores. Some of those cost more than they're worth now. Dual cores have pretty much changed the way the custom market is moving.

Only on some of the highend performance CPUs and in the real world the differences aren't that great. For some there's other variables, i.e. financing, package options, and platform preference. AMD has been cutting into the market, but they're still a long way from being the leader. I'm glad they have; it sent a wake up message to Intel.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes but in a buyers' market, only the XP and the Northwood were really worth their price tag.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

I can easily agree there. But I'd still buy a dual core processor before going with a single core nowadays, Intel or AMD.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
  15. crowy

crowy Guest

16. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I'm jumping on the Intel bandwagon. I just purchased a Phone with a 416 mhz Intel processor. They found a way into my life. Maybe I can encode movies on my phone. It is a PPC6700 Sprint.

Maybe AMD needs a few phone dual cores:)

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@ theonejrs

Does your seagate have 4 rows of pins for jumper settings?

From what I've found Seagate likes to have NO jumpers at all when setting to slave. Below is a link to their tech site where you might be able to enter your model number to get exact information from them. Good luck! :)

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/model_st3.html

18. crowy

crowy Guest

@64026402,
    I hope AMD stick to what they do best:)

19. crowy

crowy Guest

Off topic:
    Phones are for just that, making phone CALLS.
    What about an angle grinder that has a 36" widescreen monitor that has access to 500 cable channels?
    Phones for phone calls
    DVD player for DVDs
    VCR for watching video's
    Dishwasher for washing the dishes!!
    SIMPLE!!!

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Phones are actually fine as multi-taskers, because they allow you to do what a computer does but on the move. There's no point in your dishwasher encoding movies, but having a phone that can play and record video actually has a use. We have two mobile intel CPUs, one in our satnav (NAVMAN iCN320) and one in the laptop (Celeron M360).

Crowy: Obviously a typo, there really is no such thing. Unless it's something added by the board manufacturer, but it's nothing to do with nVidia.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.