1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

@sammorris,
    OK.

2. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Funny that Google thinks they are all over the place, and made by Nvidia.

Best regards,

Rich

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What, FX6600s? I've never seen it written like that in the UK, maybe it's a foreign thing, iunno. Can't think of what any difference would be though.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Okay, does that mean that GE shouldn't build jet engines if they have refrigerators. Speaking of refrigerators, at one point GM owned Frigidaire. They even owned Hughes Electronics along the way. Should they have given up the cars or the refrigerators? GM financing? Should they give up loaning money to buy their cars? Saying a company can't diversify is limiting their ability to make a profit. Such a division as phones for Intel, allows them to use experience they've had in the chip industry. If you want to get real restrictive, Intel shouldn't be involved with mobos if they'ver making CPUs. Some companies make both TVs and Radios. LOL I don't think phone sales is going to cause Intel's R&D to stagnate.

Crowy
    I wasn't trying to pick on you with that quote, it was just indicative of where the discussion was heading.

If people are willing to buy a product, I see nothing wrong with a company supplying it (within normal boundaries of course).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I write with a uni-ball ben, made by the Mitsubishi pencil company. It's not a lance evo IX, but it's suitable for writing notes!!!
    GE own everything, from Aircraft engines to the bulbs in my lamp. This is just an indication of those "do everything" companies.

I couldn't agree more.

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I would like a link to the angle grinder with 36" screen:)

I like technology in every room and every pocket.
    Can you say Tivo.

7. crowy

crowy Guest

ok I accept and respect everyones opinion.
    I just like the idea of a company concentrating all of their funds on research & development of a particular product.I think this would generally indicate a superior final outcome of whatever that product might be.Which may be why AMD appear to have the edge over intel?
    Don't get me wrong I have nothing against intel but everywhere you read AMD always seem to have a better review.

8. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Scubabud,

I must be drinking the wrong stuff. The drive in question is a Quantum Fireball 4.3 GB. Not a Seagate. I swear I have dyslexia of the eyes!!!

Sorry!

sammorris,

That 6600 video card is a generic, no name brand with an nVidia chipset. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole as the quality of the other parts would be questionable. At that price, quality would have to be very suspect. Even BenQs cost more and I've heard a lot of complaints about them!

baltekmi,

Notice the "Manufactured by" for each video card. Only one has a manufacturer and it's an Elsa. Never heard of them. At those prices, chances are these are cheap knock offs. I mean how good could they be if they don't even tell you who built them? I'll stick to brands I at least heard of!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

When reading reviews, most of what you're reading is about new and upcoming technology. Then, most of those reviews are about the high end equipment. Though the majority of people aren't buying the top end machines with the top end processors, winning the races help sell the product. True Nascar mentality. (There's even a Nascar PC. LOL)

Looking at the picture historically, according to the article Sophocles provided, AMD has only been winning the race over about the last 7 quarters. Till then Intel had been getting all the favorable press and had no real competitors. During that time Intel enjoyed having the market pretty much to itself in the personal computer arena. They cornered the market. In the real world, Intel is still the giant being accused of monopoly; AMD is playing "Jack". AMD is picking up a bigger increase in the market share, but Intel is still growing and maintains a huge share of the market. They're still making good chips, just not winning the big races right now.

Intel is still in the running along with AMD. Even if Intel doesn't get the big win soon, they're still the biggest supplier in the market and Intel Inside (or whatever Intel logo is used) still sells a lot of PCs. As for myself, I'd love to have a duo core Centrino laptop, but sticker shock and desire haven't come together yet. Since I have some time to wait before Christmas, I still don't know if I'll be building an Intel or AMD system. My son has been eyeing my Dell, so we'll see how things play out. LOL AMD-Good, Intel-Good, AMD has just gotten to play the "hare" for a while.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In a sense, the low mhz, high performance that AMD opts for is the tortoise, with Intel being the high mhz low performance hare. But when Conroe arrives, it'll be a race between two tortoises. Two incredibly fast tortoises at that!

BenQ are one of my "don't touch with a bargepole" companies. I've had two CD-RW drives of theirs fail within two months. That shows their quality, and since Acer is the same company, the same applies for them (the first drive was acer, the warranty replacement a Benq but the drive was exactly the same, it even looked the same).
    But yes, avoid low cost GPUs, you've no idea how competent the construction was (although I might add a Powercolor X800GTO my mate arvinf bought had a colossal amount of thermal paste applied to it, far more than needed).

We're harking back to oldskool now, that's a name I haven't heard for a while. In fact, that's about the oldest PC name I knew, because prior to that area, I barely knew what a computer was.
    I suppose you can weigh up the pros and cons of me being younger than most:
    +: Get to see more new technology
    -: More years under DRM.
    Hmmm, I'd better think about that one carefully!

12. vspede

vspede Member

The website was down yesterday but its back up now. I checked the links and they work. Here they are again.

CPU Overclocker Section
    http://www.computerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

And heres the thread where the guy totally helped me. I have the same username there too.

http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42551&page=3

Also another cool program for AMD users (since it seems like everyone loves them) is CBID or Central Brain Identifier. Google either one and you'll find it. I find it 10x better than CPU-Z.

It detected your CPu and gives you a crapload of information on it. Also if you OC your CPU like I did, it'll roughly tell you how much you improved your CPU in comparison to another.

For example My AMD 64 3700+ was OC from 2.2 to 2.75 GHZ. And I did the ram too, etc etc. SO CBID says my CPU works like an
    AMD 64 4525+. Of course that processor doesn't exist but you kinda get the idea of how much power your getting out of it. That it'll let you also tweak some stuff out of it too if you want to, but make sure you know what your doing first :)

13. brobear

brobear Guest

sammorris

LOL At least you caught the "hare" analogy. It was about the competition between AMD and Intel on the market, not about the speed of the particular processors. Intel ran away with the market for the longest, being the "hare". Over the past couple of years, AMD has been beating Intel on development and increase in market share, becoming the leader in CPU development and going out front in the race, thus being the current "hare". Nothing to do with processor speeds.

I didn't want to use "Tortoise and the Hare" because the race goes on and the Tortoise only won in the end. Your take reminds me of the old Bugs Bunny cartoon where he disguises himself as a tortoise. ;) The hare mimics the tortoise, which is what Intel is doing if you look at the Conroe and other projects going on at Intel.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep I'm well aware of that brobear and tried to state so, I was offering an alternative use of the metaphor.

vspede, I still don't fully see why the system becomes unstable above 1000mhz FSB.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

If you say so, I was referring to the companies movement in the marketplace and you were discussing their products. Similar on the metaphor, but different usage.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, and I recognise both!

Back on topic!

What advantages does CBID have over CPU-Z?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Theonejrs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Regarding Intel and AMD

The article that I posted was focussed mostly on Dell and the small increase that was mentioned was achieved by Dell not Intel. Intel isn't gaining any market share at all in fact it lost ponts while AMD gained points. Here's a quote from an article'

Intel is losing its monopoly fast. Even if Intel makes a bit of a comeback with faster cores, the damage is done and AMD will continue to increase its market share.

http://news.com.com/AMD+market+share+soars+in+PCs/2100-1003_3-6028349.html

19. brobear

brobear Guest

sammorriss
    As do I. ;) Getting back on topic, I remember the Russian site from an earlier discussion about CBID that has the AMD club and the CBID was hosted there.

CBID (Central Brain Identifier) is specific for AMD. CBID is no good with Intel. CPUZ works with both. Here's the link and info as they pimp CBID.
    http://cbid.amdclub.ru/

Central Brain Identifier is designed to provide detailed identification and obtaining the most complete information on all AMD processors. It recognizes more than 50 various models of the AMD processors. It shows not only the general information about the processor, but also allows to determine its important technical features, such as processor core name, core revision, a nominal processor frequency, the date of announce, an OPN number, the components of the PowerNow! Technology and also independently computes an XP-Rating for processors having a Model Number. The program is capable to detect the core voltage of mobile AMD processors and the newest AMD Athlon 64 processor. Advanced recognition methods can accurately determine mobile, desktop and server variants of the AMD processors. The power diagnostic capabilities provide the most complete information about the processor cache. The program incorporates tweak features such as processor name modification, L1 Cache ECC control and Clock Control Register correction and DRAM timing control. Central Brain Identifier is aggressively aimed to compete with well-known processor diagnostic tools.

The benefits and unique advantages of CBId are the following:

Complete and precise identification of the AMD processors.
    P-rating calculation and OPN determination.
    The real-time CPU frequency, voltage and temperature monitoring.
    An entering the processor the low power state of Stop Grant.
    On the fly FID/VID transition for mobile AMD processors.
    Performance state tables searching and decoding.
    DRAM timing configuration of a huge number of chipsets.
    An ability to change the feature bits of the processor.
    Quick CPU name string modification.
    FSB/DRAM frequency control for nForce2 chipset on the fly.
    An advanced tuning of VIA V-Link bus speed parameters.
    An enhanced set of tweaks to optimize DRAM performance on nForce2 chipset.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    I realize the article was about Dell. But one can't talk about Dell without mentioning Intel, which is Dell's sole major supplier for the production CPUs. I merely pointed out Dell hasn't lost anything in sales except the percentage of growth in the current market. The question you posed was a bit misleading due to the "Dell computers dropped in sales". Had you put in "percentage of sales", I wouldn't have disagreed. The answer is simple, there's now competition that wasn't there before. Dell still holds the lion's share of the market, though the competition is eroding that as you pointed out.

It's only normal when decent competition enters a market that a company that enjoyed a position as the sole major supplier will start losing part to the competitors. The key word is competition. That goes for Intel and AMD. How long has Intel been king in the PC market and how long has AMD been with us; then add how long has AMD been truly competitive with Intel on the PC market? Discussing current market share increases is misleading if one doesn't look at the past. As long as overall sales don't decrease, then Intel isn't hurting, though the profits that were projected may suffer due to the incursion of AMD into the market. It's a healthy market and I don't see either company really hurting. If AMD starts eroding Intels share to where actual sales start to decrease, not just sales percentages, then they will have hit them where it truly hurts.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.