1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I agreed but I was responding to the quote below.

While Intel does still hold a huge share of the market they are in fact experiencing negative growth in a time when the PC market as a whole has increased by more than 13%. What wasn't mentioned in that article was that AMD is actually experiencing even faster growth in the server market. IBM, Oracle, and Microsoft just to name a few have announced their intentions to use Opteron based servers. The only area where I still see Intel out in front it in small hand held devices such as PDA's and Donald's new cell phone, and notebooks/laptops. If I were to buy a laptop I would probably go for one with a Pentium M in it. I just built a system using a Sempron and I hope to never build another again. In my defense I didn't order or choose the parts, I only assembled them.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  3. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Intel is hurting worse than you might think. The mass of the company depends upon their dominance in the PC sector. That has been pretty much shot to hell. To survive they will likely increase their anti-competitive practices to try and put other companies like AMD under.

AMD is growing fast. Maybe to fast. They are vulnerable to such an attack. They lack the resources for a head to head price war.
    Intel can give their processors away for free until AMD goes out of business.
    I want competition but I don't want to loose any companies to corporate terrorism.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's astonishing, I never would have thought it that much, even without Online sales involved.

Why? The 64-bit semprons are pretty good!

Isn't that predatory pricing and illegal?

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have a feeling that AMD has had their future designs already finished and ready to go before they even released the last batch of processors. This could even be a ploy to force Intel into a war that would cause Intel to use up their capital fighting a temporary losing battle at the same time that AMD gained market share. If AMD manages to trump Intel again in 2007 they will gain enough market share to go one on one with Intel for some time. But as you've noted Intel could resort to predatory business practices that could hurt AMD.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds good, but face it, who's more likely to bust the other up with below-the-belt business practices? I think we all know the answer to that one...

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Have you built one yet? I thought that it was at best a lackluster result.

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sammorris .lots of members swear by the BenQ drives iam surprised you had trouble with them ive never used them so i dont know for sure. Plextor is away the best choice and Lite-On.

if Intel trys to play that game with AMD we must boycott there product!!! trying to highjack another company to get there market share up is corporate terrorism!!!

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammoris

I think that I'm being a little too critical and I am perhaps comparing it to one of my three PC's which are all faster and since I use my dual core the most, that's the standard I'm used to. I should be comparing the Semprom to a Celeron which I'm certain that it would easily beat.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a bit more fair, slow though the semprons are, they're good at what they do.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@theonejrs

Actually it sounds like you’re drinking the Right Stuff!!! LOL

@aabbccdd

I have three Burners, one of which is a BenQ1640 that I’ve had for several months. The burns are great based on Nero CD-DVD disk quality tests and I have no complaints. :)

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,

For a long time now America is built on "corporate terrorism"!

Witness the automotive industry and how many companies have disappeared. American Motors comes to mind. The Rambler American was a better car than the Ford Falcon! Hell, the original Falcon 4 door would spring the back doors open going over a railroad crossing. The Rambler had the better engine and better Unibody construction. Ford just priced them right out of business.

Hopefully, there are enough knowlegeable and smarter people around today when it comes to computers to put a severe crimp in any plans Intel might have for trying to put them under. Today you don't ever hear coments like "well, it's an AMD, what do you expect"! I agree with Sophocles when he said:
    Look at their jump from the 64 to the 64x2. That was a major leap that Intel was not prepared for. I don't doubt that Intel will get their "Conroe" working well enough to compete but I think that AMD is ready and waiting for just that time!

My present computer is the first Intel I've built in about 10 years. If I had been smart I would have done some real resaerch before I built it. I'm not unhappy with it, but it cost a few bucks to make it run like it does. That's money I wouldn't have had to spend if I had done my homework. Had I done that, I would have gone AMD. What's that commercial? "I could of had a V8"!!!

By the way, Sophocles. Thanks for the Quantum information!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Too damn right, it won't be far off a year after the launch of Windsor before Conroe gets fully up and running. Consider, it's barely been about a year since the Manchester and Toledo were launched. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    AMD aren't going to be sitting on their chuff, them being pro-active is what has got them this far. I wouldn't mind betting AMD's next idea will be out within much of the Conroe, to confirm without a shadow of a doubt who's boss. People have got to notice something then!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

Amen to that! I think that AMD not only built a better mousetrap but also have an even better one in the wings just waiting to blow the Conroe into the weeds! By the way, that old (1999) Athlon XP 2500 I just put together is way faster than the Sempron 2500. I borrowed the Sempron and installed it to find out. I would like to know why AMD did that??? I will say that the Sempron does run much cooler but it is slow by comparisum! A good test of the whole integrated everything was to install the 3D Aquarium screen saver. It runs smooth as glass on the Athlon while it stumbles a little bit with the Sempron. Both motherboards being the same made the comparisum fair. It turned out to be a very nice computer and a good birthday present. My housemates daughter should be very happy with it.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hey, at least AMD only did it once, intel three times. But Athlon XP was the higher end processor before (no way is that CPU 1999, we hadn't got to 1ghz by then), the Duron was the cheap option. The Duron was then removed and a slower version of the Athlon XP became the low-end, behind the new Athlon64.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

That's the date stamped in gold on the CPU!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, before we were informed of the [bold]possible impending[/bold] corporate terrorism, my son's clinic was just equipped with new Dell PCs along with a Dell server. The system works great and no complaints. It will be a few years before we can hit those terrorists in the pocket. ;)

With all the market shares and percentages of market share increase, and sales, sales percentages, and percentages of new sales, I sort of lose sight of the overall picture with some individual articles. Suffice to say, AMD and Intel are alive and well at the current time. Intel would no doubt be happier if AMD disappeared and they once again owned the market (not likely to happen). Dell is doing well, if not as well as in the past (increased competition, partially spurred by competitors using both Intel and AMD platforms, attracting both fan bases). Computers is a booming market. I'm looking forward to the better "mouse traps".

Wonder if Conroe was a sneaky ploy on the part of Intel to force AMD to release their best toys before they planned to? Just love those rumors of terrorism and intrigue. ;)

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

I would never have thought that you'd support terrorism.;) LOL

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Earlier than intended? AM2 will be out such a long time before Conroe, I doubt that was the plan.

Theonejrs, I think 1999 means the start of Socket A, hence why that would be the start of the copyright. Athlon K7s began in 1999 like the 800mhz Thunderbird. The Athlon XP appeared around the release of Windows XP in 2001.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    LOL You're my guru and failed to inform me soon enough. Poor "grasshopper" knew not what to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.