1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

And so it was! Or so the story goes! They wandered alone into the dark night into the desert seeking and speaking the truth that was not. But when all seemed lost one thing remained! We can all still sing and dance.

Hmm! Zorba The Greek.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now look what you've done to me!!! Quick, Play something else!!!!

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

I think that even Intel was surprised and caught with their pants down. I also think that given the amount of time since then combined with Intel's slow response shows that! Since my cyrstal ball is back from the "shop", I forsee "Quad Core Architecture" being the way to go. It makes sense as you could have 1 core for each segment of the computer's functions all tied together with excellent memory and processor management. You could dedicate 1 core to control each segment with each core independent of the others. Bandwidth requirements would drop making everything faster. Sort of like the Beowolf concept! I may not have the terminology right but you get the idea! Just an idea that's been floating around in my mind.

Whatever Intel does, I think that AMD is prepared and ready for it. I think that AMD is smart enough that Conroe will be obsolete shortly after it's introduction. I also think that that skewed Conroe vs AMD test was put out there so that AMD would show their hand. Looks like they didn't fall for it! Again, just my thoughts!!!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

4. altkon

altkon Member

Further to my postings on 09april2006
    and replies rcvd from aabbccdd and brobear.
    I have downloaded and installed a program called :
    Speedfan 4.28 from Almico Software - in order to be able to monitor
    my computers fan speed and drive temperature.
    Which I measured to be around 38C on start up and
    48C at idle.Do you think it is a reliable and
    useful programme.
    Publishers discription reads as follows:
    Almico Software
    SpeedFan monitors voltages, fan speeds, and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. It can even access SMART information for hard disks that support this feature, and show hard-disk temperatures if that's supported. SpeedFan fully supports SCSI disks and can even change the FSB on some hardware (but this should be considered a bonus feature). At the lowest level, SpeedFan is a hardware monitor software that can access temperature sensors, but mainly it can control fan speeds (depending on the capabilities of your sensor chip and your hardware) according to the temperatures inside your PC, thus reducing noise and power consumption.
    Thanks,
    altkon

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those sound right, but it doesn't support my motherboard so I can't say.

6. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I have had the Benq 1640 for about 6-7 months, and it's much better than my Litey, which I had a hellava time trying to booktype, and has recently failed (burning coasters), IMHO. I just ordered a Benq DQ60 for my other computer last Friday, hopefully it will be as good as the 1640.

Best regards,

Rich

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,

By litey I'm not sure if you are talking about "Lite-On" or another brand. I've used Lite-on CDRW 40x drives in all my customer builds for the last couple of years. I get a good price on them by buying in quantity and I've never had a failed drive yet.

Same way with Emprex. I use them for DVD Roms and 16x Dual Layer Burners. Early on they all needed a firmware upgrade to work properly. Later ones were fine and none have failed. In addition, Emprex Customer Service is the best I've ever seen anywhere. They even helped me with a drive problem on a drive that wasn't theirs! I had e-mailed them because another manufacturers drive I bought had the same model number as theirs. They promptly answered me and asked for detailed problems. I e-mailed them back and they found me the right place to go to get the software to solve the problems. Now that's Customer Service!!! They even followed up to make sure my problems were solved! I've been buying their DVD drives ever since. My personal computer drives get quite a workout and I have never had a problem with any of them I've sold!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

8. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

theonejrs,

Yes, I am, but DVD-RW, see my sig.

Regards,

Rich

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To all,

Can anyone tell me how good (or bad) a socket A Athlon XP 2800+ Barton core is? After building the 2500 I was impressed enough to want to build a faster machine. At $123 (USD) it seems like a good place to start. I can't justify $183 for the 3200+ as the MB only goes to 333 and the 3200 runs at 400. Seems the fastest chip for my MB is the 2800+ Barton. I have a couple of Asrock K7S41GX socket A motherboards that I thought were over the hill. But after seeing the performance of the 2500+, I want to use them to build a couple of reasonably fast computers to sell.

Like I said, I was very impressed with the performance of the 2500+. It was faster than a 2.4/533 P4! It was as fast in the real world as my friends Dell 3000 2.8/533 P4. I figure that if I use a 2800+ they should be very saleable.

Thanking you in advance,
    theonejrs

10. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    I belieave you 100% abou the card. I wouldn't touch it either. Just like i would not but anything but a BFG card. Lifetime warranty and support like you would not belieave.

11. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sophocles

12. brobear

brobear Guest

What's this I hear about Intel releasing a dual quad core mobo to use with the new quad CPUs they're releasing shortly after Conroe? Part of the story was that is can use the new DDR3 RAM to even further improve performance. ;) Wonder if that will shake up AMD? LOL

13. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Getting back to the real world, I think we need to start adding a few reliable sources if we're going to specualate on the corporate intrigues of AMD and Intel. Granted they're going to do their best to out fox their competitor. They're going to try to release items at the most advantageous time to maximize profits. I personally doubt they're trying to hold back developments to just play one-upmanship. There the other guy would only need to hold a few items back as well. That strategy is a bit questionable due to the possibility of it backfiring.

DDR3 is a sure thing, but the dual quad core mobo and CPUs, I'm not so sure of. Just one of those unfounded rumors of corporate intrigue.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  14. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

brobear
    Thats what I have been saying all along. Conro will be short lived and be replaced with the quad core in q-4 2006 or q-1 2007. The new quad core will have 2 dual core conre chips in it. Conre... good chip matches up with AMD well. Doesn't beat all benchmarks but with a quad chip using 2 conre chips..wow! It all depends on how the vaporware conroe really works.

15. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

ANd all this talk about AMD being the " gaming chip"!?
    well the best gamer in the world uses intel with a abit mother board?

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

belive it when we see it stance on that one brobear

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Do you have any reliable sources on that, or is it just speculation?

18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I'll have to go back in my post and find it brobear

19. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Me too. ;) As I said, unsubstantiated rumor. But it sure sounded good and it's possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah it's a good CPU, I have the similar 3000, and it's pretty fast, and now that XPs are cheap, that should be pretty good value for money.

And who would this be?

I highly doubt it'll be that early. I wouldn't be surprised of Conroe isn't widely available until Q2 2007.

I have to agree with brobear on this one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.