1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Theonejrs

I think that 6402 might be right, it sounds like a hardware problem and if the drivers can't be loaded then it will hang like that. It's also possible that your memory or CPU is being strained by your over clock. Lower your over clock for a bit and then try it. If that doesn't work then you'll have to start isolating each piece of hardware to find out which is causing the problem.

Try this! Go to start/run and then type in msconfig and hit enter. There you will find some tools (boot.ini) that will help you analyse what's going on when you boot up.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  2. brobear

brobear Guest

Theonejrs
    Sophocles and The Donald gave you sound advice. I'd just like to put emphasis on what Sophocles said. [bold]Lower the OC.[/bold] I'd suggest going back to the base setting till the problem is resolved to insure the OC has nothing to do with the problem. Record your settings if you don't remember them, it's no big deal to go back into the BIOS to reset them.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@theonejrs

I agree with all suggestions so far but I was wondering, when did this first happen? Was this also happening on occasion before you made your backup image with your Acronis program?

I'm just looking for the time line when the problem surfaced first.

4. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

yeah, i wanted to show you how much i overclocked it...

but at 2.7 it is very instable...
    but not at 2.6

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

Sometimes an over clock will work for a few weeks or even months before strain will show.

Try this, go here and download a copy of prime95 and run your system through the torture test and it will reveal any errors that are being cause by the over clock. Don't worry, it won't hurt your system because it will stop running at the first sign of your system becoming stressed or unstable. Rule of thumb is that your system should be able to run stable overnight but I think that's bit much, I ran mine for a little over 14 hours and figured that was enough and I stopped it.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

7. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Pardon me Gents,I know this is off the present topic.
    @brobear,The Opteron was one of my preferences but as you guessed the budget is tight and has already been slightly exceeded.

As for SLI,it is not in my plans at all,I'm not much of a gamer that is why I believe my video card choice is probably even more then I need,but the price was right!

system # 2 upgades
    Asus A8N-E
    AMD 3800x2
    Evga GeForce 7600GS

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2006
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't fret, the same happened to me. Except my computer now badly needs a reformat.

Boxwrench: So what do you want, our opinion? The 3800+ is more than adequate!

Sophocles: Wow. Intel have some serious problems!

9. rugripper

rugripper Guest

i cant believe this thread is still live...lol

hi everyone,got my new pc up and running

3700+amd64 ..................250x11@167volts...2750
    corsair 2gb kit.... 3500LLpros 2.5 326@250@2.7volts on a divider of 200
    running at a true ddr500
    evga 7800gtx 512mb card 587/1750

this pc is slamming fast now,thats all for teaching me oc`ing...peace

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

Go Where?

When this first happened I went to stock 3.0 settings to attempt to see if the OC was the problem. Unless something was damaged by the OC, nothing changed. In reality I think I might have picked up something on my JumpDrive when I was working on my old neighbors Dell. I complete burned down my C drive wiping it with Acronis and then Eraser. I reverted to my original back-up of my C drive that I made when I first got Acronis True Image 9. Everything seems to work fine so far. I put my custom settings back in the BIOS and it seems to run real good.

I have a question. Should I turn on the Anti-Virus on the motherboard? I understand that it can be annoying at times but perhaps this would have intercepted whatever I got and given me the oportunity to do something before it became a problem.

I also cleaned out the case and fans with compressed air. Temps didn't seem to be a problem but I figured, why not! It can't hurt. In a 76F degree room the temps top out at 53C for the CPU and 36C for the MB.

To everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. I got to thinking about it just now and maybe when I upgraded my AV. I let something in while doing it. You have to dump the old one before you can install the new one and you have to be on line to install it so you are vulnerable until it's installed. Anyway, it runs great at 3.60 and I've had no problems with it since I totally roached the drive and did a complete restore of drive C.

Happy computering,
    theonejrs

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

12. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@sammorris,No I wasn't looking for an opinion,I was merely trying to continue some dialog that Brobear and I were exchanging on another thread.He suggested I visit him here,apparently I missed him.

Once again Pardon my interuption!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2006
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Boxwrench: No that's fine, you make it sound like you feel you're not welcome here!
    Theonejrs: I've heard of nothing but bad news about the nVidia firewall etc. I'd recommend just using something like ZoneAlarm, if you don't already.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

boxwrench
    I've been on and off with the forum. The guys here could have given you some opinions on the budget video card. We have both Radeon and nVidia fans here. Sounds like you've made your decision though.

As Sammorriss said, the 3800 is adequate, but for the slight price difference between it and the Opteron 170, you'd be getting a much superior processor. The dual core processor over single core would be enough for me, but when you add the cache difference and the better binning of the Opteron series, that extra hundred dollars is chock-full of bargains. Lets see, better materials, better cache, extra processor for about $100. Your budget though.

By the way, you're more than welcome on this thread. I just wasn't here to answer you right away and the others may have been wondering what was being discussed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2006
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

FIHSNERD
    If you want to show before and after specs, it would be nice if you'd do so like the others here. Post screen captures of the before and after Sandra benches and the CPUZ specs.

16. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@sammorris,I wouldn't say I felt unwelcome but I did feel a bit uncomfortable breaking into the thread as I did.It also seemed as though you thought I was asking you for your opinion again after we had discussed the matter in great length on another thread.An apparent misunderstanding, perhaps on my part.

@brobear,I truly wish I had more of a budget to work with but this is certainly not my first build/upgrade and I promise it won't be my last. There will be more to come! lol!

And last but not least thanks to the both of you for sharing your knowledge and suggestions and for welcoming me to this thread.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

FIHSNERD

2.6 Ghz is still pretty darned good, although I think that you should be able to get it to run quite close to 2.7 Ghz stable.

What are your settings? Could you provide info on hyper transport setting, mem divider, PCI bus, memory timings, model or specs of Crucial memory? Just curious:)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  18. rugripper

rugripper Guest

i would go with the san diego 3700+.i have it oc`ed to 2750 and stable as hell.it also has a 1mb cache which really helps....something else to think about.i like nvidia cards for one reason:...the card has an option to add color,its card digital vibrance,ati cards to me are either to bright or dark and not enough color.imho

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Then you need to look at my system with the ATI Radeon X850 Pro; and that's old tech with an AGP slot. I have no problems with brightness or contrast.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have no issue with colour on my X800 Pro, and besides, if I want to alter colour on it, I can use my monitor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.