1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

rugripper

If you prefer Nvidia cards over ATI cards then go ahead and use them with my support, Nvidia makes a great card but then so does ATI. But the brightness and darkness on an ATI card is no different than that of Nvidia card. I've built more systems than I can remember, I lost count about 5 or 6 years ago, and I'm still going strong.

I do remember one of earliest video cards, Circa 1995, because that was the year that I decided to never purchase another commercial PC. The card was an S3 that came with 4 megs of on board memory, in those days you could actually add memory to many graphics cards and so I upgraded it to a full 8 megs. It was a power house for the day. I went on build many a PC after that and I always used the top card of the time. Remember when Voodoo card were on top?

My point is, that after having built countless dozens of PC's with numerous makes of cards, I've yet to run across a single card that exhibits the behaviors that you've described. Even cheap cards look OK for basic desktop use which explains why many people don't know the difference between an integrated graphics solution and a slotted one if all that they do is look at photos, word process, and surf the net.If you really had the problems with darkness or too much brightness then it is probably a flaw in your monitor. All you had to do was call up your video cards control panel and made a gamma, contrast, or brightness adjustment. If you find those settings a bit daunting then you can also adjust brightness and contrast on your monitor.

Have good day.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

LoL Sophocles :^) Just like yesterday...
    I bought the new Diamond Stealth 64 $200 VRAM PCI vidcard - I was gonna crank some serious frames in DoomII and Hexen, and Duke Nukem!
    I was so excited, I had 2MB special fast video memory. (These days we laugh, of course you need that minimum just to get 1024x768x32 desktop).
    I used to play Quake on it with a 3dfx Monster Voodoo (4MB) PCI, on the internet. Great fun, those were the days.
    It's actually a Television right now, don't laugh - it's right here running Win98SE: Pentium Pro @ 233MHz, Asus mobo, 256MB EDO RAM, Monster Voodoo2 (8MB), AVerMedia TV98 PCI, 19" KDS Radius flatpanel monitor.
    That old vidcard loves the 60Hz refresh, LoL (doesn't like ~85Hz although claims to do it) but, it's still going strong.
    At long last Windows98 OS support is finally dying though...
    Speaking of dying, so has my burned copy of Win2K! It has faded out, I haven't looked for it in a coupla years but I think I have an image on HD somewhere, thank goodness.
    Or I could do a fresh Win98 install, update it all, latest everything and hang on...
    But you know, it actually runs WinXP okay - I mean good enough to be a Television and surf the net, maybe even send a Fax, he heh.
    Anyway I've been a complete AMD man since K6-2/K6-3 days (Socket7 fighting off the new evil Intel invention, the Slot CPU, for those who don't remember) but lots of AMD for me!
    I do, however, have my beloved Intel PPro rig ;^)
    I bet everyone has owned Intel at one time or another. Haven't they?
    Regards

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

LOL. My wife still has a PCI Voodoo 3000 in it and she doesn't seem to be missing anything by using it, it's now old and dated but it still works great. All she does is word processing, email, and surfing the net so that was as much as she needed. A lot of people don't know that at one time PCI was the speedway for video cards because it was faster than ISA cards which preceded PCI. I picked up the Voodoo to be able to play N64 Roms on my PC using the UltraHLE emulator because Voodoos were the only cards that it would work with at the time.

4. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

i know how to copy screenchots, but when i try to copy and paste it, it wont because it is scrap..??..

i have tried changing that, but i dont know how...

this is what i can give you without screenshots.. (and not overclocked right know)

Number of CPUs 1
    APIC ID 0
    Name AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    Code name San Diego
    Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
    Family/Model/Stepping F71
    Extended Family/Model F/27
    Brand ID 4
    Package Socket 939
    Core Stepping SH-E4
    Technology 90nm
    Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
    Features NX
    Clock Speed 2207.9 MHz
    Clock multiplier x11.0
    HTT Bus Frequency 200.7 MHz
    P-Rating 3700+
    L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 2207.9 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 128 bits

Chipset
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge ATI RX480M rev. 01
    Southbridge ATI SB400 rev. 00
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR
    Memory Size 1024 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 200.7 MHz (CPU/11)
    CAS# 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 8
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 11
    DRAM Idle Timer 16
    Command Rate 2T

Memory SPD

DIMM #2

General
    Memory type DDR
    Manufacturer (ID) Micron Technology (2CFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
    Size 1024 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Part number 16VDDT12864AG40BDB
    Serial number 6517F15D
    Manufacturing date Week 56/Year 05

Attributes
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no

Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 133 166 200
    CAS# 2.0 2.5 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 3
    RAS# Precharge 2 3 3
    TRAS# 6 7 8

DMI BIOS
    --------
    vendor American Megatrends Inc.
    version 080012
    date 10/17/2005

DMI System Information
    ----------------------
    manufacturer MSI
    product MS-7151
    version 1.0
    serial To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    UUID 00020003-00040005-00060007-00080009

anything else and i will try and get it for you..

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

use this guide to post a pic

[​IMG]

6. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

CPUID Output

Number of CPUs 1
    APIC ID 0
    Name AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    Code name San Diego
    Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
    Family/Model/Stepping F71
    Extended Family/Model F/27
    Brand ID 4
    Package Socket 939
    Core Stepping SH-E4
    Technology 90nm
    Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
    Features NX
    Clock Speed 2692.6 MHz
    Clock multiplier x11.0
    HTT Bus Frequency 244.8 MHz
    P-Rating 3700+
    L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 2692.6 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 128 bits

Chipset

Northbridge ATI RX480M rev. 01
    Southbridge ATI SB400 rev. 00
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR
    Memory Size 1024 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 244.8 MHz (CPU/11)
    CAS# 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 8
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 11
    DRAM Idle Timer 16
    Command Rate 2T

Memory SPD

DIMM #2

General
    Memory type DDR
    Manufacturer (ID) Micron Technology (2CFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
    Size 1024 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Part number 16VDDT12864AG40BDB
    Serial number 6517F15D
    Manufacturing date Week 56/Year 05

Attributes
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no

Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 133 166 200
    CAS# 2.0 2.5 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 3
    RAS# Precharge 2 3 3
    TRAS# 6 7 8

DMI BIOS
    --------
    vendor American Megatrends Inc.
    version 080012
    date 10/17/2005

DMI System Information
    ----------------------
    manufacturer MSI
    product MS-7151
    version 1.0
    serial To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    UUID 00020003-00040005-00060007-00080009

7. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

Sorry to get off the subject a bit but can you guys assist me?
    Ok I am running Sadra benchmark software and for some reason my LAN benchmarks and Optical drive benchmarks will not complete. Also when I try to do the "Performance Tune up" option on Sandra, it will start the process and then my computer will just restart everytime I start this process. Is this do to me not having a independent graphic card other than my onboard graphic processor?

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

novicebb

I am running Sadra benchmark software and for some reason my LAN benchmarks and Optical drive benchmarks will not complete. Also when I try to do the "Performance Tune up" option on Sandra, it will start the process and then my computer will just restart everytime I start this process. Is this do to me not having a independent graphic card other than my onboard graphic processor?

A firewall can prevent Lan benchmarks especially if it's hardware based (part of your router or modem).

If your computer is rebooting each time you run the benchmark then the most likely answer is that your system can't handle the stress which means that it is probably over heating somewhere (memory, CPU, GPU, or hard drive. If you have an over clocked system then your settings might be too aggressive now that the weather outside is warming. Computers love air conditioning and lots of air moving inside your case.

You can also check your heat sink for collected dust especially if it has really tightly packed fins.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FIHSNERD,

If you are using Image Shack for your screenshots, Their site is down!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I use DVDhounds.com for my images but you can use any forum that will allow you to upload attached images.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

FIHSNERD
    Hit the Reply and then read the info above the box about HTML tags and supported tags used on AD. Screenshots are easy as long as you use the img tag and correct sntax. Post your images somewhere online like ImageShack and then link them in the img tag (at imageshack use the last (bottom) link option that goes direct to the image).

The reason we like the Sandra benches are because they're easy to view the info in the graphic form and it shows how a system compares with other systems stored in the Sandra database. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

aabbccdd
    I like that img guide. ;)

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Theonejrs
    ImageShack was up just a few minutes ago.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

I tried all morning and it was down. The operation timed out!

Theonejrs

14. rugripper

rugripper Guest

i think you guys miss understood me: i was trying to say that the color in nvidia cards is adjustable and it isnt in ati cards,which makes the video either to bight or dark or dull looking.if ati had that adjustment in there tools ,i would probably buy one cause ati are always a bit faster in fps but ill take the little loss of fps for the color factor.

so aabbccdd...thats you pic?.no way,your kidding right?if it is you,damn are you hot,a fox,pretty,etc....lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2006
  15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've never had a card that didn't have adjustable color, including all of my ATI cards. I have an ATI 9500 Pro, and ATI 9800 Pro, and an ATI X800 Pro and all have adjustable color. You must have missed it on your card or you didn't install the control panel.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

rugripper
    I don't think it was a matter of misunderstanding, we've just never encountered the problems you had. Sophocles has built a lot of PCs and I trust his word as it also coincides with a lot of other people. Neither ATI nor nVidia normally exhibit the problems you described. Since I've dealt mainly with ATI I can honestly say I find no faults with them. If there's some settings that set nVidia apart for you, then by all means go with them. As Soph pointed out, both ATI and nVidia make good cards.

17. rugripper

rugripper Guest

maybe i did miss something.what is it called?on nvidia its called digital vibrance and on ati what is it called?

i paint minitures so maybe thats why color is so important to me.i love to drench the game with color.

when i buy a color tv the color is never rich enough for me.maybe its my green eyes.....lol

18. brobear

brobear Guest

It's not called anything in particular that I'm aware of. ATI has a control panel called the "CATALYST Control Center" There's all kinds of adjustments, including those for color and there's an assortment of adjustments that control video output. If a person can't get the picture quality they want between the Catalyst adjustments and the monitor adjustments, they either need a new monitor or to quit (as long as there are no other contributing factors).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2006
  19. brobear

brobear Guest

Theonejrs
    I've been getting ImageShack and doing the uploads at different times this evening with no problems. The site has been taking my uploads quickly without hesitation. There have been some days I've suffered slow downs, but this evening wasn't one of them.

20. vspede

vspede Member

Sigh, I wish I went with ATI like Brobear's picture above. I wish I knew more about vid cards before I bought a geforce 6600GT. But I was low on money and it was the cheapest and best I could find for 80 bucks.

To FIHSNERD, I have the same CPU as you do. I have my OC to 2.75 and its stable as hell. Are you fiddling around with voltage setting? I just set mine to auto and changed FSB and multipliers. 250x11 is what I did.

But at the same time, I've heard people with our CPU get insane OC's, but others can only get minimal. I think its just hit or miss with the cpu you got. Something to ponder on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.