1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Speaking of old stuff, what went in CNR slots?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You have to watch the memory speed when OCing. Buddy has pushed both his HTT and memory to 244.8MHz - CPU might like it fine, but memory not so much.
    People buy PC3500 or even PC4000, which will support 250MHz (500DDR) for their OCing.
    To ramp your CPU way up there but keep PC3200 in spec, you must change your dividers...
    Sophocles will help with that (I am low on specifics, since I run SocketA) but it is common with A64 S939.
    Yeah rugripper, that aabbccdd she's a cutie isn't she ;^)

3. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

To sophocles:
    I did a burn in of Sandra Last night for a total of ten cycles over everything and my case temp never reach over 41c and my cpu never went over 49degrees celcius. When I do the CPU bench marks, Memory bandwidth, cache and memory, dvd rom/cdr benchmarks everything completes no problem. It is just when I click on the "Performance Tune Up" option that is when my computer will begin the process and then just restart. Never completes the entire process.
    My computer is freshly built and is only about 4 weeks old so I know there is no issue with just or anything like as I am very anal about keeping my case clean on the outside and inside. SHoot even my keyboard and mouse is brand new and I wipe them off with a qtip and alcohol every week.

Plus I have three case 80mm case fans along with the stock cpu fan and heat sink. The only thing that is aggressively changed from stock settings is my memory which has a default latency of 3-4-4-4. I changed it to 2.5-3-3-3 and it is working wonderfully. It has built in heat sinks and from Newegg.com reviews, I have been told that I can even lower the latency to 2.5-2-3-3 but I will keep it at where it is now. My cpu is a stock speeds and I won't even consider overclocking till I get better cooling.

I think the Performance tune up of Sandra Benchmark software will not complete because I need a graphic card instead of using my onboard memory. I just wanted to varify my suspicions.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's quite likely, I'd think.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

novicebb
    Do you have a link for the RAM you're using so we can check it out (newegg or one of the other vendors)?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sammorris, cnr if right is communication network riser. somewhat the same as amr(audio modem riser)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So what would you put in one, a network card?

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

cnr version not pci

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, OK. Just wondering!

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Here are some settings that should enable anyone to overclock their socket 939 board.

Here are some settings that will get you started.

Reboot and enter bios.

Go to advanced and then as follows.

CPU configuration: Set your Hyper Transport speed to 4X.

Memory timings from top down to 3-7-3-3-11-13-5-3-1T.

Leave Memory ad deafault and cool 'n' quiet disabled.

Hit escape and then navigate down to Jumper Free.

Set CPU frequency to 225 (this can be set higher once you find its stable speed).

Memory voltage to 2.7-2.75

CPU voltaage to 1.450

PCI clock to 33.33 Mhz

This will raise your CPU speed to 2.475 Ghz. Run it for a while and if it seems stable hen up your CPU farequency in 2 Mhz increments.

Your success will depend on the quallity of your memory and your individual CPU.

11. crowy

crowy Guest

This is where I'm at so far with the new system.
    Haven't played with memory timings yet.
    CPU @ 1.4volts
    temp@ 40 degrees on stock cooling
    everything stable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2006
  12. vspede

vspede Member

Heres what I did to get my OC. I didnt mess with memory b/c I don't know much about it and I'm not confident enough to do it yet.

CPU configuration: Set your Hyper Transport speed to 4X.

Leave Memory ad deafault and cool 'n' quiet disabled.

Set CPU frequency to 250

CPU Multiplier x11

Memory voltage Auto

CPU voltaage to AUTO

PCI clock to 33.33 Mhz

With this I got 2.75 Ghz, FSB 1000.78

Leaving voltage at Auto CPU Voltage is 1.42 and memory voltage is 2.60

I have valueselect ram and its cheap but everything seems to work out nice.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If that's what's achievable with Value Select then it speaks volumes about the quality of Corsair RAM!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I am considering not going SLI with my next build. I don't play any heavy-duty games, so why spend the money for something I may never use! I would like to hear some opinions of this board.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530
    The plan calls for an Opteron 175, 2Gb Corsair XMS cas 2 memory and an ATi X-850GT.

I have to admit that I know very little about MB design and features. Please take a look at what this puppy's got and let me know what you think!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Lets see; with an SLI board, you don't have to set it up with 2 GPUs; with a plain board you have no choice. The more expensive Asus mobos have more features. You just have to ask yourself if a more expensive board has enough options to be worth the price difference. If I was going to spend the extra money on RAM and a 175 Opteron, I think I'd spring for the better board. If you decide to sell the PC later, the better board would be a good sales feature besides the benefits it will give you in service. It's only about $70 to $100 difference, but it's your money and your decision.

By the way, when I said a better board, I meant one with more options, nothing about quality. The board you showed is a decent board, it just doesn't have as many "bells and whistles".

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2006
  16. vspede

vspede Member

For sure, if you want GET an SLI Board. They're great. But for vid cards, Don't go SLI. Its retarded. Only if you have money to blow than do it. But chances are, you don't so be wise. I have an SLI board and I know for sure theres no way in hell I'm ever going to have it. There is one simple way someone put it. Its like this and I'll use my current Vid Card as an example.

Hmm. SLI Config.
    2 Geforce 6600 GT's = $220
    Video Power combined = awesome

OR

1 Kick ass Geforce or ATI Card = $220 Bucks
    Video Power = Super Duper Awesome

Its that simple. For now its not worth the money. A single card, Geforce or ATI, is worth more than twice a lesser card.

Better blow your money on something cooler like memory or CPU.

Also the board you showed, I wouldn't get that one. I've heard there's been major problems with that board. I myself have an Asus A8n-SLI. It works great so I feel lucky. For about 20-30% of the other people, they say they have huge problems. If you see that Mobo Pic, you can see a little fan. That fan spins about 6000 RPMs. Thats freakin fast. My cpu only spins 2250 RPMS. A lot of people have had that fan break and not spin which causes no ends of problems. There is another asus board out there that has replaced the fan with a heatsink. Get that one if you can.

btw to anyone else. is this true? I heard the chip for an AMD 64 3700+ was the exact same as an AMD FX-55? Just cpu frequency different?

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

YES!!! Well said theonejrs!
    Lol, sure is!

The A8N-E is a nice, high quality board, but you get the best from SLi Boards (with one video card). The A8N-SLi Premium is possibly the best board you can get/it's worth getting for a single GPU. Stacks of features, External S-ATA ports for lord's sake!
    I've not heard of any problems with fan failure as such with the Asus boards, just that it's noisy.

Pretty much, the 55 is quite significantly faster though, 2600 versus 2200. This is how when we overclock A64s they're "like having an FX-55" or similar.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

theonejrs

It seems several people that purchased this board have complaints. All hardware reviews will have good and bad but this board seems to have more of the bads then most.

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

From a power user stand point the Asus 939 boards have been top notch. But they have had some chipset fan problems. For an experienced user this is a non issue. I replaced my little fan immediately with a big passive heat sink and then put a slower fan on it anyway. I also have a Premium board with heatpipe chipset cooling.

They NF4 boards are picky about setup so they will have complaints from the less skilled people about problems they can't figure out.
    But this goes for any NF4 board from any manufacturer.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I heard the nForce 4, in particular the ultra runs hot and this is why I have my reservations about the lower end A8N-SLi boards. Given the temperature the chipset runs at in the passively cooled premium, if the fan stops, it's toast.

How good's the Abit KN8 Ultra? I'm contemplating it for my build.
    Okay, scrap that idea, seen too many negatives on Newegg.

My System builder offers me these options:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Category=282&SubCat=MBD-939
    Every board I look at, newegg has dozens of reviews along the lines of "two DOAs in a row, appalling support", be it Abit, Asus, MSI or Gigabyte. Where do I go?!

Last edited: May 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.