1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

sorry again, I am losing my mind. It is a gateway 400. No problem looking inside. is the old pc 100-133 almost the size of pc-2100?
    I wonder if cpz-u would work?

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,

Check and see if it can handle a K6 2/500-3D. I have one and you are welcome to it. I've owned a few K6 laptops, mostly 350s and 400s. Even with a DVD Rom and PowerDvD 5 they work pretty good. A much better alternative than a 7" DVD player. I had it up and running a couple of weeks ago and it had no problem handling XP Professional. Just say the word and it's yours!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

3. brobear

brobear Guest

baltekmi
    PC2100 is 184 pin DIMM and the old PC100 and PC133 are 168 pin DIMM.

Do you have enough memory for CPUZ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2006
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

Baltekmi
    For parts for your old Gateway, you can search by model number. This site even has old parts for sale. http://www.mundocorp.com/ I noticed two 400 laptops listed, the SD4 and the VTX. The SDK goes up to 512MB of PC2100 RAM and the VTX goes up to 1024. Both have 2 expansion slots.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2006
  5. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

thanks all
    i will check all this tomorrow and get back

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Do you have the SD4 or the VTX model 400? BTW, it's early morning, I got the pin count wrong, don't know what I was thinking. PC2100-184 pin and PC100 and PC133-168pin. Most vendors still carry the old RAM cards. As you know, it doesn't have to have Gateway on it, as long as you know the type. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141316
    You can get a 512MB card from Newegg for about $50 and I think Mundo wanted about $150 for the Gateway card. Wonder how much it costs to make a Gateway label? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2006
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Brobear: The X1900 was the first major step for ATi in the right direction with regards for performance. Despite their superior image quality, they lagged behind nVidia a bit (X800 to 6800 a tad, but X600 to 6600 definitely)

Tokijin: Vista will be hacked. It's just a matter of time. People have gotten off their backsides and cracked things less important than this before now, no one's going to stand for it.

Brobear: I already have a copy of Linux (Suse 9), and I must say I'm not all that impressed

Baltekmi: A Dell with an AMD chip? I suppose it's possible that long ago... The RAM is likely to be SD100 or older, possibly EDO. Ah, thanks for clearing that up, makes more sense.

Brobear: Lol, wonder how much it costs to give a P4 3400 Northwood some Dell packaging?

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

baltekmi

I can tell you without knowing what the board is with 100% certainty that it uses 168 Pin PC-100 or PC-133. To be safe if you upgrade the memory use PC133, not only is it back compatible with PC 100 boards but if it turns out that the system uses PC 100 then you have headroom for over clocking or you can set CAS3 memory to CAS2 settings.

When Vista hits the market I'm ignoring it because it might be while before anyone cracks DRM or it goes on the "FRITZ." I've already moved one of my PC's to Linux because it's free and I have a feeling that Linux is going to experience a rapid growth in popularity.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm ignoring vista for now anyway, regardless of DRM when versions or service packs of windows first come out they're horribly buggy, so I think I'll just stick to XP for now. It doesn't actually work too badly - 5 years and it's starting to look quite good!

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

It is official. I am running one Intel computer in my house(and in my pants). Just got my PPC6700 Sprint phone.
    My phone is a 416 mhz Intel Xscale 270 overclocked to 520 mhz. Yeah baby. I can really talk fast on the phone now:)

It already encodes faster than a P4:)
    I'm easily entertained.

Please no mention of politics. Intel and AMD is political enough.

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

When they stop making DVDs then I'll think about Vista.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,

That Gateway laptop probably has 144 pin SO-DIMM memory, either 100s or 133s. That's what most K-6-2 laptops had for memory back then. What's the exact model number? I know it's a 400 but there is probably a label with completely different model numbers on it. The 400 is probably just the series like Dell Inspirons or Latitudes. My Dell Latitude is a C610 but from the model number on the label you would never know that, so check it out.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

13. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

I'm relieved to hear that about VISTA. I suspected as much, but it's reassuring to hear techies more knowledeable than I concur. I will probably go the Linux route. You can can always emulate XP if need be. More and more software is becoming Linux compatible all the time. If enough peeps leave PC for Linux, Ahead Software and Mcafee might notice (for starters}. I guess where it really kinda blows is the games department, where there just isn't a ton available at present. I could care less about that, I don't play PC games, but it would be a disincentive to hard core PC gamers. A fellow staff member of mine uses Chaintech mobos. You guys ever heard of em? He's very knowledgeable about PC's, it struck me that he was using a brand I hadn't heard of. Thanks.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  14. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Chaintech is a low cost manufacturer. If you can afford better, get better.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've heard of no end of trouble with Chaintech mobos, poor manufacturing, poorer support. I'd avoid them as the Donald says.

16. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yeah it struck me as odd that he'd mention this as his mobo. He says he hasn't had any issues with them, but the alarm goes off when I hear things that haven't been mentioned before. Granted I don't know a ton about this stuff, but I know what generally is good, i.e. OCZ memory, ASUS mobos, and AMD processors are mentioned all over as being high quality. So would Asus be the #1 choice for OCing?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Tokijin,

Let me put it this way. Asus is my #1 choice whether you OC or not!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

18. crowy

crowy Guest

GO DFI !!
    DFI really set the stage for tweakers and overclockers with this board and are now reaping the benefits of its hard work and research. As of today (March 18), FIFTEEN OF THE TOP TWENTY SYSTEMS IN THE 3DMARK HALL OF FAME USE DFI SLI SYSTEMS! With an option for DIMM voltage up to 4V, a "FSB" clock up to 456MHz, CPU clock multipliers and plenty of memory dividers, DFI has made sure its board would come out on top and that its users' performance would as well. This board more than likely won't be your bottleneck when you try to squeeze out every ounce of power from your components. Kudos to DFI for putting together such an awesome package and well-designed board.

All of this silicon goodness comes at a price of course. If you want te LP NF4 SLI-DR, it will set you back about $220 right now. Yeah, it's expensive, but it's a fair price for what you get. If you don't need all the extra goodies in the bundle but want the same performance and overclocking potential, then go for one of DFI's LANPARTY UT nForce4 boards instead. You can't go wrong with DFI's current nForce4 line-up.

19. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs and to all that have helped me so far! lol
    it is a desktop. I did manage to download cpuz and it says the cpu is
    a amd k-6-2 model 8...code name chomper socket 7
    core speed 100mgz instructions mmx 3-d now.
    motherboard ali alladin 5 revision 4 board date 1995
    memory only says dimm1 32mb.
    I do have it running on dsl, but really slow. I just want to use it for my grandson to play some of the older dos based games, online to play cartoon network.com. I have to admit It is talking awhile to donload the nessary components like flash etc. but I have of yet seen the blue screen of death like i have had with intel chips of the same era! I does have 2 memory slots, so whatever memory it takes, does not have to be in pairs. I have to give props for all the help I have had so far... THANKS!

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

GO ABIT!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.