1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,

I just flat forgot to answer your post of a couple of days ago (old age and senility). You sound like you are ready to start your new build. I won't be ready until mid-June. Even then I still have to come up with the CPU, MB and Video card to make it work. Those are the esentials! The rest I can rob from the Intel for now. By the by! What CPU are you going to use? What MB? How far do you want to go with overclocking?

I have a lot to learn about AMD, 64 bit processors, Dual-Cores and Hyper-Transport so I wouldn't mind doing this together (metaphoricaly speaking), but I do draw the line at being bare-assed while I'm doing a build! He He!! I know someone who will never live that down!!!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

2. crowy

crowy Guest

@theonejrs,
    My third motherboard(given to me by a friend that had it since new was a jetway board.)He was updating and I had picked up an AMD300 with no board to suit.Had that system for 3 years and guess my friend probably had it for 2 years prior to that.Never let me down.My last system which is chugging away quite nicely in my daughters bedroom is a ecs k7s5a
    with honeyx bios which I have had since 2002 purchased new.Again never a problem.I think all boards are susceptible to failure (for whatever reason) regardless of make/price or whatever.Same as anything electronic.My Benq dw1640 lasted a grand total of 3 days!!! so was promptly returned for a refund.

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

theonejrs, iam pretty sure 99.9% that iam going with the [bold]AMD Opteron 175 Demark [/bold] hopefully the prices drop in June as sammorris posted. iam set on the Mobo ,Video card ,Ram etc. (per my sig) hummmm since i have pretty much everything else maybe the FX-60 may be in order lol nah i never pay that much just for bragging rights lol

4. crowy

crowy Guest

Conclusion

If you are looking for a flexible, overclockable motherboard with a powerful feature set, there is no alternative to DFI's LANParty RDX200 CF-DR. It comes with a third party storage controller to support all the latest features and its feature set will make enthusiasts happy.

Asus has lost its way somewhat by designing a motherboard that tries to appeal to everybody. It is an upper mainstream board with a feature set that is up to date; is nicely overclockable and should be able to please a majority of customers. However, it is too expensive to deliver an ideal bang for the buck and is lacking for the enthusiast crowd.

The feature set of MSI's RD480 Neo2 won't make an enthusiast happy, but it's stable, as fast as the competition and inexpensive.

5. crowy

crowy Guest

In order to gear with the fast-moving environments, DFI fully computerizes our production line. From raw material shipment, component storage management, assembling operation, testing, packaging to final shipping, DFI has the most advantages over our competitors. DFI prides ourselves in having the lowest return rate in the industry which stems from the insistence in using only the qualified materials, solid quality controls and state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Corporate/Corporate_us.jsp?INDEX_TYPE=MB&TITLE=INT&SITE=US
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2006
  6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

crowy,
    You sound like an advertisement.
    No experienced computer tech would use DFI in a performance application.
    You may not like Asus but if you had any profesional experience your tune would change dramatically.
    The name Lanparty says it all. It appeals to the pretty board customers. I don't buy for popularity or looks. If the customer wants cheap, he can have cheap. Otherwise Asus is a better product all around. Asus is susceptible to failure but I don't actually see it in practice. With DFI I do see the failures. As with all other brands. I buy MSI for value performance but they still are not my preference.

Asus performance settings will outstrip the capabilities of any processor. Any extension of those settings would be for show only in a Lanparty board.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Crowy
    No need to keep at it. We realize you're a DFI fan. Nothing wrong with that. But... they have their different price range boards as well.
    You were speaking of Asus, but I don't see it. I don't see DFI's high end offerings as being cheap either, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136009 . Like a good business, they try to meet the needs (and wants) of different market segments, as does Asus and other board manufacturers. With the major players, you can get everything from the inexpensive starter to the high end enthusiast's choice. As The Donald shows, not everyone has been happy with DFI in the past, nor do I suspect Asus and the others to be batting 1000. Asus has proven to be something of a "standard" the others are measured by though. A lot of enthusiasts now ask, at least to themselves, how does a mobo compare to an Asus?

8. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

@ theonejrs
    This is incorrect. After briefly running 66MHz FSB (like an Intel 233MMX) more recent K6-2 and all K6-3 CPUs ran 100FSB. Hence the term 'super 7' coined by AMD because no Intel socket CPU ever ran @ 100FSB.
    Only the very latest K6-2 '3D' @ 500MHz had any L2 cache; it was an abberation and was marketed as a mobile CPU, since AMD had followed Intel and abandoned the Socket interface, moving to Slot for the desktop.
    I see you also missed my advice, to not attempt to run 1 x 512MB PC133 - it will not work!
    I know this thread is long but you must try to keep up with what others have written,
    Regards

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Baltekmi
    The K6 has been tossed about enough for just the RAM. You could have pulled the card in the box to figure what it was. I think Sophocles nailed it some time back. Just buy a couple of PC133 cards and put in it. Check out what The_OGS stated, it may not use a single 512.

10. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Interesting to see AnandTech's current recommendation for system purchase, today's date:

DFI nForce4 SLI Infinity + Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2x512K 2.0GHz
    http://anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2753

Asus is great - they are like General Motors, something for everyone.
    But ABit and DFI see themselves as something even better: high-end top-quality stuff for enthusiasts, gamers and overclockers.
    So for people to say 'DFI is okay but they're no Asus', well that's just fine with DFI...

11. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Hey, Just i thought i check-in in one of the best threads on AD!!

Have any of you heard of what crucial announced as the release of the Fully Buffered DDR2 up to 4GB per module from Crucial

Here is where I read the article...
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=68290

12. brobear

brobear Guest

The_OGS
    Since the Conroe "vapor" CPU results from Anandtech, I take a lot of what I see there with a grain of salt. They sometimes appear as much an ad board as a place for info. Like most sites there's various contributors and they're not always unbiased. I noticed on the AMD platform they had an EPoX as an alternative choice. Then for the Intel platforms they suggested the ASUS mobos with Biostar and Aopen as alternatives.

13. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Sure - Asus is great! That 945P P5LD2 Deluxe is a good Socket775 mobo. I have no knowledge of EPoX though... You?
    Hey AnandTech is okay, they simply reported on Intel's demo (I mean don't shoot the messenger, y'know?)
    But I'm sure they have no bias, pro or anti Intel. Which do you suspect?
    Anand loves his AMD...
    Note: Pentium D930 are on for only $259 bucks now. Canadian Retail! But you still need aluminum case and giant PS though, LoL
    L8R

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

Crowy: Now look at the Asus website, no doubt they'll be telling us the same thing. DFI aren't going to point out their disadvantages. I know from what I've seen all DFI boards are way too expensive for my purposes, yet not even an A8N-SLi Premium is.

Brobear: Asus may be like GM, but I wouldn't mind betting Asus boards would go without fault even longer than cars!

15. joshjosj

joshjosj Guest

AMD bleep succcckkkkss

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seems you get around a bit, don't waste our time.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The_OGS

Anandtech are product "whores," the best according to them depends on who's paying them the most for their services. They know what they're doing but they provide product comparisons that are less than comprehensive. DFI Landparty boards are great if you're strictly into gaming because they are great performance boards. They are also buggy as hell and not for the novice and they lack the features and stability of Asus boards. I almost went with a DFI board, but in the end decided I would rather have the features of the Asus board which also has pretty good performance. If you're strictly a gamer and you're an experienced PC builder then go for the DFI Landparty but if you want more features, greater stability, and less hassle setting things up then the Asus is your board.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

joshjosj

MORON!!!

19. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Lol......I think someone has alot of time on thier hands and just wants to get some attention...Guh......

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, tragic. Is that the best you could manage Sophocles? It sounds awfully Junior Member, as in n00b junior member, not well respected junior member. I've been told off for making that poor judgement before. Agree about Asus though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.