1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Just a side note that wasn't to Sopholcoles...LOL

It was to the guy that said AMD sucks

Just want to clear that up...As i don't explain things very well..LOL

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol I understood what you meant so no harm done. If I can understand it, anyone can.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The dipwad has been banned.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice one, ethnical cleansing at its best.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

I'm sorry that you found my response disappointing, but I think that I covered it without getting verbose.

Now was that nice?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

joshjosj,

Underneath your nick, it says permanently banned. I sincerely hope this is true as we prefer contributers not jackasses!

crowy, You're not going to convert anyone to DFI so give it a rest, will you! Tell DFI to give you a raise, you've earned it. No one said that it was a bad motherboard but it's not up to the standards of most of the members of this forum!

The_OGS,
    I just repeated what the press release said. On the 512 I assumed that baltekmi had some memory in the Gateway so he should have the requisit 2 slots full. There are other options for different memory configurations as well. a couple of 256s would do quite nicely. Prices are decent as well. Gateway says it will work in conjunction with any other like speed memory but it will only report 512. They did caution that if you put a 100Mhz stick in, all of the memory will run at 100.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

That's the usual case, you put in a stick of slower RAM and the system adjusts to the slowest.

8. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Wow, this thread has gotten interesting. Glad to see the idiocy isn't relegated to the console forums.

Sounds pretty good to me. That's high praise from you Sophocles, I definitely am a fan of high quality, low hassle products. Asus sounds better all the time. What kind of socket size should I be looking for on an asus board with high end performance as the main prerequisite?

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Tokijin , the 939 socket is what you want to go with .the asus board in my sig is top notch [bold]ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 [/bold] newegg is your best bet

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2006
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, two sticks of 400 with one of 333 and you get three of 333, I saw that. It too surprises me that idiocy came to this forum, but he's gone now so no harm done, really!

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Taking out the idiots is why Nephilum and the other mods earn the big bucks. LOL Seriously, they are the ones who make the place bearable.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That's true with SDRAM, it doesn't have the compatibility issues that DDR does.

Miss matching DDR RAM can have consequences and is not recommended. You could lose the dual channel function or the system might not boot at all. It's best to have modules of the same make and speed.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

[bold]Intel Strikes Back[/quote] Well not intentionally. Every now and then Intel makes an inexpensive product that can potentially out class their high end stuff (the PII Celerons are an example) and for a while it becomes a buyers market.

FX60 performance or better on a $130 Intel Dual Core, and we're not talking about "vapor ware" you can buy it right now at newegg. I realize that there are some points of concern, like having the means to achieve the end but unlike anantech tomshardware doesn't leave competing potentially superior products out of their tests.

http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

14. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

I got a question on intel dual cores.I noticed the pentium d was just two prescott chips for the first dual core chip that they made.But my question is, does dual core take advantage of hyper threading or can you even have a dual core with HT?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're not seriously telling me a 4.1Ghz 805 will run like an FX-60? A 4.2Ghz 965 won't run as fast as a 60, how come the 805 manages it?
    That's some serious dual core for the money though, you won't see AMD X2s anywhere near that cheap. Must admit, it does quite well. However, what's the TDP like on those when they're like that?

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammoris

I scanned the article quite quickly but apparently the stepping has a lot to do with it. Stepping also has a lot to do with over clocking the Opteron dual core series, your degree of success depends on which one you get. Here is tomshardware's reasoning.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/page6.html

I wouldn't say that it would beat out an FX60 but it is in the ball bark for speed. I'm quite certain that my sysetm will take it but then I spent $479 on my CPU. For $130 I'm tempted to build one just for fun.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Makes sense, I remember that being a deciding factor with Athlon XP systems. Doesn't deter me from an X2 though.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Doesn't sway me either, one equally fast or faster system is enough for now. Cooling is going to be an issue with it sucking 150 watts, and I suspect that memory selection is also going to be more of a factor than usual.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd rather have things safely and cooly (is that a word?) running stock than OC an intel anyway.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Words, but we won't get into spelling and grammar (coolly-adverb). ;) Let's just remember that not all Intel's are Prescotts and that AMD has made some "heaters" as well. I suspect a good fan-heatsink setup will cure heat issues. It took care of theonejrs' Prescott and they're notoriously warm running.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.