1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Great article! I believe after the 4.0 mark THW mentioned Water Cooling. It's close to June so I'm still waiting to see what's in store for newer chips and prices before I do a new build.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

I haven't checked out the article yet. I was just referring to heat issues with a typical air cooled system. Investing in water cooling systems is a quick way to negate any savings on the CPU.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The important key here is not whether or not it can match or beat the FX60. It's the price versus performance ratio that catches the eye. Tomshardware did in fact state that it required water cooling for over 4 Ghz. We all know that few people ever end up matching TG's scores or over clock achievements but even at 3.8Ghz which should be easily achievable, it's going to be a lot of processor for $128 and it probably will do just fine with Zalman CNPS-9500 or 7700 air cooling.

I think that for those that are interested in building a computer using Intel parts now or in the near future, now is as good a time as any to buy. All that I would need would be the chip, couple of sticks of memory, and a video card. I have all the rest. I could do the build with a fast video card for under $700. Of course right now I'm also considering getting a large wides screen LCD monitor (yes brobear I watch movies on my PC)the question is do I want to spend big bucks for it.

Dell has a 30 inch for about $2100 (3007WFP), Samsung a 24 inch for about $1350 ( Samsung 244T) and ACER a 24 inch for $750 (AL2416Wd). Unfortunately I've been experiencing uncontrollable bouts of sanity lately and I'll probably have to wait for a relapse before purchasing it. My common sense tells me that the Samsung is going to offer the best quality, but the Vurbal and 6402 in me says that the ACER might be good enough for now since there's going to be lots of improvements and price reductions over the next couple of years. Nah, if I was Vurbal I'd still be using my 22 inch Viewsonic P225f long after the colonization of Mars has begun.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

... Or you could mimic brobear on one of his less sane days and get the biggest one. LOL Unfortunately I've been going through bouts of sanity lately and left off buying some of the new toys in favor of improving on what I have. In other words, I've got to pay my houseboat out of dry dock shortly. No greenbacks, no boat.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

I read the original article and noticed a few interesting things. The AMD 64x2 is ahown as a 3800 in the picyute of the CPU yet the CPUZ shows it as a 4800. I'm impressed with the 3800s overclocking abilities. Also, they keep talking about socket 479 for the D805, but Newegg only has the socket 775 available at that or any price!

At one time I considered sticking a 2600 Yonah in my computer but I can't find anybody who can tell me with any kind of certainty whether it will work. Since Asus makes it so damn difficult to e-mail them a simple question, I guess I'll never know! Newegg has these in socket 478. To me, this seemed like a power consumption test rather than performance. I would like to see some Sandra results for encoding and such. Of course, none of this will change my plans for an Opteron 175.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@theonejrs

It's Socket 775

Here were their recommended M/B's
    • Asus P5WD2-E Premium (Intel 975x)
    • Asus P5WD2-WS Premium (Intel 975x)
    • Asus P5WD2 Premium (Intel 955X)
    • Gigabyte G1975X Turbo (Intel 975X)
    • Gigabyte 8I955X Royal (Intel 955X)L/li>

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

scubabud,

I was meaning the Tom's Hardware article. They imply that you can get a socket 479 D805 from Newegg for $130 right now! You can't, at least not today. Newegg does not have any on it's website. Not only that, it will snow somewhere before I lay out $289 from Newegg for an AOpen socket 479 motherboard just for the privilege of running an Intel Dual-Core.

In all the benchmarks listed there was not enough difference between any of the test setups to warrant the expense (unless you have a bicycle powered computer). I mean Whoa!!! There's a 9fps difference in F.E.A.R. (197 vs 188). [bold]Wow, 9 fps!!![/bold] Everything else was about dead even! You just know that AMD has something special waiting in the wings and by about mid-June we should have a pretty good idea of what they have up their sleeve!

While the D805 socket 479 is probably not vaporware as you can buy it in 775 form, you still can't buy a socket 479 one! Tom's Hardware didn't buy it from Newegg and neither can I!!! I can do much better on an AMD 64x2 3800 and a decent quality MB than the $419 plus tax & shipping that their Intel setup cost. Me I'll stay with the Opteron 175 (which is about 4 weeks away)!

Happy Computering
    theonejrs

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Theonejrs
    Where did you see socket 479 mentioned? All I saw mentioned was the LGA 775. The links from Tomshardware go to the LGA775 D805 as well. As ScubaBud pointed out, Asus and Gigabyte have the mobo situation covered. I did notice the Asus P5WD2-WS Premium workstation board they suggested using for a build with the 805 isn't available in the US yet? That's the one with the heavier voltage regulator setup for the serious OC(ers). Where did that $419 price tag come from? It's only about $350 for the CPU and mobo using the highend Asus board at Newegg prices; about $320 with the less expensive board. The deal sounds like a bargain to me. I wish I'd seen something like this before I started messing around with my antique.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2006
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've not heard of 479 before, so I'm a little in the dark. The fact that there haven't been any price drops in X2 CPUs despite what was previously said tends to suggest that something is coming along soon for AMD, but we've yet to see. AM2 doesn't look like it will bring about immediate price drops.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Socket 479 is for the Pentium M processors manufactured on the 65nm process. I don't know how theonejrs got that tied in with the 775. I didn't see it in the Tomshardware article, but I didn't read the article word for word. That's why I asked for a link.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@theonejrs

Could you copy and paste where in the THW article they mentioned a socket 479 or maybe the page of the article that states it? :)

Here are the components they used for their test:

Intel Pentium D 805 $128 Newegg
    Asus P5WD2-E Premium $219.99 Newegg
    OCZ DDR2-800 (2x 512 MB) $139.99 Newegg
    Tagan i-Xeye 480 W PSU
    2x Western Digital WD160
    GeForce 7800 GTX
    Gigabyte DVD-Rom 16x

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  12. brobear

brobear Guest

It has me wondering, the D805 is the 775 socket on the 90 nm process and a socket 479 is for the Pentium M and Celeron M on the 65 nm process. The 805 is a hotbox compared to the more efficient mobile processors and I've never seen mention of a D805 being built on the 65 nm specs.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Theonejrs

Don't worry about it, it was probably an honest mistake and there are some socket 479 boards available for desk top systems, just not for the 805.

For those that are interested here are the specs of the actual system used.

* Intel Pentium D 805
    * Tagan i-Xeye 480 W PSU
    * Asus P5WD2-E Premium
    * OCZ DDR2-800 (2x 512 MB)
    * 2x Western Digital WD160
    * GeForce 7800 GTX
    * Gigabyte DVD-Rom 16x

And once again an Asus board proves that it is still the number 1 choice of most enthusiasts.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just to bring up that old debate!

15. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes, me too!
    The thing just kept O/Cing faster & faster... right past 800FSB :^)
    Of course it uses ~400W and will heat a small apartment, but should be okay with correct components.
    L8R

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Besides being great fun for OC(ing) one can save a bundle on their heating bill. Definitely a winner for those who live in colder climates. Still for those occasional warm days, a person had best not forget to install the Zalman 9500 if they're going to do any serious OC(ing) at all.

I do believe I'd go with a 500 watt or better PSU on this one.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Gremlins. The page wasn't switching.

18. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Very interesting article,I too am contemplating a build using this processor though only for the overclocking challenge.
    No matter what the outcome may be,I have no plans on jumping ship as I like many others believe Amd still has a secret weapon waiting in the wings.

Only time will tell...Ah yes,I love suspense!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

mmm, Gremlins have been popping up a lot on AD recently.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Where's Baltekmi? I distinctly remember him saying that Intel had a secret weapon. LOL ... and they still have the vapor processor to release.

In the spirit of competition, I suspect we'll be seeing more developments from both Intel and AMD.

Using ship analogies, I think I'll be like a Ferry; go from one side to the other depending on who has the most interesting toy at their dock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.