1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I used Arctic 5 so I can't say, but it was a little on the runny side for me. Why skimp $15.00 on tube of thermal paste and then wonder whether or not your CPU could have been just a little cooler?

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Arctic Silver, Zalman "coolers", and Asus boards; I'm sold on them. The 9500 is lighter than the 7000, but both are noticably heavier than a stock fan and heatsink. Some applications call for reinforcement of the mobo (parts supplied). It's also suggested the user be careful in moving the PC around. Just a bit of common sense and there's no problems involved with using the big Zalman coolers. Just be sure it fits your application. A lot of boards and specs are listed on the Zalman site. The smaller Zalman coolers that are closer to stock replacement size do a good job of cooling as well, just not as well as the big 9500 and 7000. For the 805, I'd definitely go with the 9500 and the case I have with all the fans.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2006
  3. vspede

vspede Member

From personal experience, Zalman is freaking heavy. Well atleast mine was. I forgot which one but I bought it with the mobo/cpu combo. Its shaped like a lotus flower and its got a Blue LED.

I picked mine up and i was so suprised at the weight. I thought, theres no way in hell that this could stay on my Mobo. And I was right it can't, which is why they supply a heavy duty "back plate" that your supposed to screw on the BACK of your Mobo that holds the Front Zalman cooler in place.

Besides the heaviness, its pretty, its quiet, and super cool. I did a stress with with my OC board and at Max Load I've never gone above 48C.

So I'm a fan, just kinda worried that one day it'll crack my Mobo in half do to the weight, LoL, but hell I'm paranoid already so that might just be me.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

dolphin2,

The Zalman 9500 is a large cooler. Mine sits below the PS 120mm fan. I had to remove the power supply in order to install it. Putting the power supply back after the cooler is mounted is a very close fit, and I mean very. Carefully measure the distances between the CPU and power supply as well as the memory. Go to their web site www.zalman.com and it will give you the clearenc needed. If it will fit, it's a great cooler.

A word of caution, and I can't stress this enough. If you move your computer or take it somewhere in a car! Make sure you carry it laying on it's right side. Even a small bump with the computer upright can dislodge the cooler or worse, tear the CPU out of it's socket or the socket off the motherboard. I have read reviews stating this.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I know lately the main focus has been on Intels in this thread but those with 754/939/940 systems should take a look at Arctic Cooling's Freezer 64 Pro. It's well respected, quite light for it's size and does a bang up job on my X2 4200+ keeping temps in the low 30's during idle and the mid 40's under load. Plus it's a steal at $35 :)

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=80&disc=

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  6. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Thanks for the link Neph,I was just reading the specs. on the Zalman 9500,I wonder how the two would compare.hmmm... and about $30.00 cheaper too.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Nephilum
    New toy, the D805 has emerged as the new OC(er) delight. The other hundred and some pages has mostly been AMD. ;) Intel fans finally have something to talk about and tinker with. That's a nice looking cooler you pointed out. It looks similar to the Zalman 9500. The same Zalman works for a variety of mobo applications, both AMD and Intel boards. The Zalman off my socket 478 Intel will also mount to the socket 939 AMD boards (just change some mounting hardware).

Theonejrs
    As I mentioned earlier, due to weight one needs to be careful with the systems with the Zalman coolers, but as I said, some common sense precautions, such as the one you mentioned of transporting the PC on it's side covers most issues. I think it would take a good bump to knock a properly mounted cooler loose. I'm not going to throw mine to the floor to see just how much though. ;) Glad you reinforced what I said about the fit and visiting the Zalman site for measuring specs and listings.

As for me, I like the design of the Zalman "coolers"; especially the way the big fan is set up to move air through the system as well as passing it across the heatsink or heat tubes. I'm sold until someone shows me better. I suspect if they were breaking a lot of boards, we would have heard about it by now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2006
  8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Neph

We have to toss the Intel users a bone every now and then just to keep the thread moving.:)

9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The main thing is the Intel $130 dual core. It is like the Yugo automobile. A lot of people purchased it just because of the price.
    It is still a 200+ watt double prescott. Intel has a really hot product:)

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Aw! Now someone else is going to have to do it. Hmm! Perhaps theonejrs could be convinced?

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The only reason people purchased a Yugo was because of the price! <G>

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

I'll pass! Let someone else do the testing!

brobear,

Actually, there were 3 reviews that mentioned the CPU being pulled out of the socket and one where the socket broke off the MB!

ScubaBud,

Hey, no fair picking on the Yugo! It's a wonderfull exercise in how to build a car out of re-enforced Kleenex. Only car I ever saw that you could dent the fender by just rapping on it with your knuckles!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

come on guys we need a ginny pig to test that Intel Dual-Core ,whos it gonna be my vote goes to brobear LMAO !! or we can all chip in 20 dollars and pick someone to test it.
    iam still sticking with the [bold]AMD Opterom 175 Demark [/bold]even though its about 500 bucks maybe in June it will be 400.00 we can hope anyway right theonejrs.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,

I'm hoping for the prices to drop even more.

By the way, I found the perfect cooler for the D-805!
    http://www.air-n-water.com/product/DA-7F67.html
    Just install it in place of the left side cover. Should keep it cool! He He!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

LMAO!!! yes that should work fine hehe .Junes not to far away i cant wait

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Those prices are going to have to drop fast, as noted, June is right around the corner.

I thought they'd dent if you blew your nose. LOL In comparison to the D805 though, that would be like getting a Yugo home and finding someone had stuck a racing engine under the hood. Almost too "hot" for the box to carry. ;)

17. brobear

brobear Guest

aabbccdd
    If enough people send me $20, I'll gladly be the guinea pig for the build. Might even have enough money for a few brews if everyone isn't being tight fisted. LOL Enough donations and I might just take a short vacation and do the build on the beach. ;) I'll remember to clean out the sand before starting the tests. LOL

Theonejrs
    Don't forget the matching exhuast fan for the other side of the case, you need that for good cross flow.

If I ever get mad and throw my PC around and break the Zalman off, I'll have to write an article on it. Give me some links, I'd like to see what happened to break those boards. I haven't seen any cracks or sags on my mobo and I've got the heaviest Zalman made with no board reinforcement.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2006
  18. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

So you guys seem kinda skeptical that the D805 is as good as advertised? Why, cuz of the price?

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I don't mean to interrupt the current slant of this thread but had to report a convert. Being a newly married man with child gave me an extra break on yearly taxes and found myself with a little play money and the wife says I can buy 1 toy. Do 3 components count or is it 1 computer??? Details , details. Switching from Intel to AMD
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103546
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131540
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130284

The only item I am borderline uncertain about is the 7600GT video card, but I am certain I want Nvidia due to the Nforce4 chipset of the mobo. I had bad experiences before mixing ATI and Nvidia and that headache is best left for a more advanced user than I. I saved this in my wish list and will sleep (and drink) on it until morning (its 9PM where I'm at) so I hope one of the faithful here either encourages me or points me in a better direction for about the same price outlay.
    After stalking this thread forever, finally something postworthy.

20. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.