1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Tokijin
    One or the other of us is getting the wrong take on the humor here. So far as the D805 is concerned the BO stepping has turned out to be an OC(er) delight. It's still not the best CPU as far as performance goes, but it's the "best bang for the buck". It doesn't have all the bells and whistles accompanying the higher end processors, but at that price one doesn't expect them. No HT, but then it's dual core and that's better than a single core with HT. It costs about $800 to move up to a dual core Smithfield with HT and it isn't as OC friendly. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116214 So the D805 is a steal for what one pays.

We all know, or should, that the Smithfields are hot, literally. LOL But it's something that can be overlooked if a good "cooler" can handle it; which the Zalman 9500 is apparently doing. The final push to the limits over 4.0GHz with water is pretty much bragging rights and an exercise in "how far can it go". The specs under 4 will make most users happy. We just can't help those "heater" jokes. AMD made some of their own along the way. Most of us like poking a little fun to indicate that even though things look good, there's usually a down side somewhere. Just wanting people to be down to earth in their thinking. I'd buy a D805 in a heartbeat if I didn't have a houseboat in drydock siphoning away all my spare money. Still it wouldn't be my main choice for a performance system. For the high end at a decent price, the Opterons (170-175) still have it in my book, at least for now.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Deadrum33
    Good choices, only I'd go for the 175 Opteron over the 4400, better binning and not that much difference in price. nVidia is okay, but I don't see ATI as being that trouble prone. Sophocles is using an ATI based card and I've heard nothing but rave reviews with it on the Asus board (same as the one you're looking at). He's used both and has a little bit of experience building PCs. I trust his knowledge on selecting compatible components. As I said though, if nVidia is your desire, they do the job.

To sum it up, my feelings are [bold]get an Opteron 175[/bold]. Then, if you can't squeeze it in now, get a big WD Raptor later on. That'll help keep the HDD from bottlenecking the CPU when you OC it. You are going to tweak it, aren't you?

4. brobear

brobear Guest

sytyguy
    A 4200 at 4.4GHz? Where'd they hide the liquid nitrogen tanks? Someone needs to tell them that you don't multiply the frequency by the number of cores. It that was the case, then the D805 can run nearly 8GHZ and even faster with water cooling. Nah...

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2006
  5. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

I repair comp's,, 9 of 10 that need hardware repair have an AMD in them, they run very HOT.. With enough fans and exhaust holes drilled they can last for many years, however all electronics that run HOT are damaged far sooner than electronics cooler. Fans tend to draw in dust piles that clog up, unless cleaned regularly. Not just a CPU change out on those AMD's, but Ram, powersupplies, & motherboards as well, so unless gaming speed is a must stay away from Amd, I have yet to replace an intel chipset yet.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I can't wait for the replies on that last post! <G>

Hot?!?!? Does the word Prescott mean anything?

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

Usually, most people claim the opposite, Intels running hotter than AMDs. As I mentioned earlier though, not all AMDs were cool and not all Intels hot. Strangely enough, I've seen more PCs succumb to cigarette smoke than from more natural causes. I can look in a PC and tell if it's been in a smoking environment.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Scubabud
    LOL Think Smithfield along with those Prescotts. Most of the 90 nm Intels are warm.

9. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

brobear,

Yeah, I noticed that, so what, the price is pretty darn good. However, one could question his knowledge.

Rich

10. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

bobsatguy
    I have had four different Amd systems.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Sempron 3100+
    Athlon 64 3400+
    and my present system using the dual core 3800 x 2. I have never under any circumstances seen a temperature over 45c...Oh,forgot to mention I also have a Intel p-4 Prescott that idles near that temp.

Please don't take this personally but I think your customers must be putting they're computers in they're ovens!

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I'm sure he's talking older systems that had hot Athlons and XPs against the older cooler P4s, not the prescotts. Maybe even back to the 30 watt p3s.

12. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Thanks again for the info all. The more I stare at this stuff it kinda starts to make some sense.

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Deadrum33, iam with brobear i would spring for the AMD Opteron 175 Demark over the 4400x2 also remember in june theres going to be a price drop so i would def. wait a couple weeks to see what happens iam running an ATI card(per my sig) also with a Asus board with NO problems

Tokijin ,arent you glad you joined us great thread here huh ,best thread at aD

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2006
  14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bobsatguy

Exactly which of the AMD processors are you claiming runs hot? Each series has its own merits and faults. The Barton Core did run a little warm, about the same as a P4 Northwood, but the Prescott out cooks them both. The current AMD's idle at between 28 to 35 degrees Celsius at stock speeds. My Opteron even doing a batch encode with CCE never exceeds 49 degrees Celsius under full load and it's over clocked by almost 500 Mhz. If your claim of repairing computers is truthful, then you have to know that everything that you just posted is wrong which means that it was meant to inflame. Now if that's not true then here is the conundrum, no genuinely experienced person could make that claim which can only mean that you're not genuinely experienced.

Why not join the group on a mission of discovery and find out what the real truth is, and when you've become genuinely experienced, then see if you can make that same claim.:)

15. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Sophocles

You are 100% correct,the Barton is by far the warmest running cpu from Amd that I have used to date.It is currently residing in my wife's system.To keep the temps reasonable (35-45c) I am using the Thermaltake Polo.It sounds like a Cessna but does the job!

My 3800 x 2 on the other hand is overclocked by 20% and has yet to exceed 40c with stock cooling.

Perhaps the Bartons are only Amd processors our new friend has had experience with,though I doubt that is the case.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

Unfortunately, those links are too old. I read about it when I was reading reviews back before I bought the 9500. All were either dropped a short distance or sat upright in the back of a car. I guess they never realized how much leverage is in a cooler that big. You just have to be carefull!

I once repaired a computer where the CPU cooler pulled the CPU out of the socket and proceeded to swing all over the place attached by the power lead. Flattened most of the pins. I was able to make it work but it took a little bit of time.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

17. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL I don't think I'd want to ride with the person who broke the mobo setting on the car seat, even if not taking the precaution of setting it on its side. That must have been one bouncy ride.

sytyguy
    A custom builder can take that money and build a better system, especially one who is in business so he can get components wholesale. I could beat a 4200 system with retail prices at $1250. A person can get all the parts that make up that PC at Newegg for about $885 with the exception of the power supply, that goes for about $80. Building the system oneself, they can have the exact same system for about $285 less than what that one is selling for on eBay. I could use some of my present equipment and just spring for a mobo, CPU, and video card and blow that PC away for about $700. If I spent $1250, I could build a "dream" machine.

18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I think bobsatguy is talking about Off the shelf computers. Both Amd and intel chips in that genre are way undercooled. and most of those consumers have no idea about cleaning the dust from there system.
    By the time he gets them they are so cooked. But that seems like an opertunity to offer custom builds to these people and make them more aware of what is really needed...i.e.... slow computer/ defrag!
    Upgrade your memory!

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Probably. I've popped open a few old PCs that had never been cleaned to find the dust glued to the surfaces, the cooling fins of the heatsink, and clogging the cooling fan and CPU fan, even in the video card fan. Some optical drives weren't working properly either. That problem didn't seem to be CPU specific though. The tar in cigarette smoke acts like glue. Just dust and a little compressed air will clean out even the worst of it. I just cleaned the dust out of an old P2 system and it wasn't very dusty at all considering the years it probably hadn't been cleaned.

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

brobear
    and a lot of times the cpu fan is so clogged or has even stopped working alltogether.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.