1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

Sounds like you've been there. Some people totally neglect and abuse the equipment. ;) Some just don't know any better.

2. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

All

I know of at least five of my friends/co-workers who smoke,have pets etc..that have never even opened their computer's case let alone clean it internally, and yes two of the units that were brought to me to look at had cpu fans siezed in place and needed replacing one of them needed a new cpu.

So,I am more inclined to believe they just don't know any better.

3. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

I am talking store bought or dell's, 98% of my cust's have them, some are gamer's, not many.

4. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

That would certainly explain your bad experiences...those units are overstuffed and under ventilated!

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2006
  5. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I think I may advertise::: Clean you pc only $25.99+tax Or I love the comercial for the GEEK Squad.98% of the time...they say oh; we need to restore you system. Heck I'd do that for almost free. Humm maybe a sidline job here after all!

6. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

One of the fellows I was speaking of previously took his to the Geek squad,They charged him $65.00 to clean it and tell him he could use more ram.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

bobsatguy
    Are you sure you're a professional? Even I know that Dell has never built an AMD system. Dell only recently started selling boxed AMD processors through the Dell outlets. Store bought AMD systems I can believe.

8. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

To all
    I know this may be out of thread, But if anyone has or knows where I can get a power supply for a hp pavaillion 743g (it is a short one because of of the small case) please lot me know! thanks.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

boxwrench
    A bunch of us here might laugh at paying $65 to have our PC dusted and have the system specs reviewed. But for people without a clue, that may not be such a bad deal. Many shops have a 1 hour minimum with prices near $70-$80 an hour. Go to school and get the papers and the business gets to charge the big bucks. A certified tech can make a killing if he has good traffic. There's still a lot of people afraid to open the case and only know how to use simple apps, but they have to have the email and be able to surf the net. How often do you see "need more RAM" suggested on AD. Common problem, but you'd be amazed at how many people don't know.

10. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

brobear
    do you need a licence or a certificate to upgrade, clean, or reinstall the os?

11. brobear

brobear Guest

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Not if it's yours or your buddy's, but if something falls off or something goes wrong (your fault or not) it sure would help if you get sued. There are those who will take you to small claims for a few hundred dollars. Guess who the court will favor if you can't prove you're qualified to be doing the work. Besides what you charge, you can be sued for damages. Not a likely scenario, but it could happen. The common resolution would be for you to fix the problem if they trust you and if not you pay for it at another shop. Just hope a CPU, mobo, or video card doesn't head south while in your hands.

13. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

BROBEAR
    thanks for the link.. The geek squad wanted 120. to replace his ps.

14. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

Huge profit margin, even if the tech gets paid well. ;)

AMD has the AM2 and Intel has the Conroe. Wonder whose vapors will condense first? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2006
  16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Granted that a dust clogged heat sink will result in an overheated CPU, but unless dust mites and mold spores are at war with AMD, Intel heat sinks should be equally affected. On threads where people were complaining of overheating during encoding, one of my most recommended fixes was to clean the heat sink. I also recall that most of the problems were caused by a prescott or a heavily over clocked chip.

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Nada, just purchase one of these and you to can start your own business! <G>

[​IMG]

The vast majority of consumers would be scared to open their computer case and I bet they wouldn't even consider it in the first place.

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  18. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I might need that blower when I crack open my case to replace the mobo soon.
    @AABBCCDD and Brobear---
    Sorry if this seems like a long time since last post, a lot happens on this thread in 12 hrs. I have replaced the 4400X2 processor with the 175 Denmark opteron as suggested. I do not know if I should wait for the suppossed price drop because I read a few places this chip was being discontinued and if it is I dont think the drop would be significant. Thanks for the replies though, I still have the items in the cart, waiting for me to pull the trigger on the purchase. I think I will wait 1 more day to read up more on these items and get a little feedback from everyone else.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

You'll find different people with their own favorites, but I doubt your finding a technical source that will put down on an AMD Opteron 175. Asus is a custom builder favorite around the forums. You might find the occasional malcontent, but you always have those. Some people complain about a free lunch. You'll find most users like Asus, or at least have nothing bad to say about them. Overall, you have the makings of a good computer. Personally, I don't know if the prices are going to change drastically next month or not. I'd like to have the link to the source giving info on those changes. I doubt the prices changing that much (but I've been wrong before), so if it were me, I'd go ahead and pull the trigger. Only you know if that money burning a hole in your pocket will stay there till next month. LOL

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Scubabud
    Here's a little unit I use for removing dust.
    [​IMG]
    Not a speck in 4 counties, problem is, neither is the computer. LOL You can build one of these and clean all the PCs in the neighborhood at once. For that matter, you can clean the neighborhood. ;) (Takes a 400 horsepower engine and a lot of 2x4(s) and plywood.) Plans are from Gevers Aircraft, Inc. http://www.geversaircraft.com/wt/wt5x7.htm

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.