1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

great Deadrum33 let us know when you get it going .theonejrs and i both are going with that chip soon and your info running it would be great BTW this mobo(ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939) in my sig is one to consider also

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2006
  2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I've maxed out my old socket 478 and I promised myself my new build will be an OC friendly board. I dont plan on doing anything major, just edjukationing myself and we'll see what happens with my learning curve. Thats why I chose ASUS and since AMD has rated higher in most all benchmarks I've seen on the last 10,000:p pages of this thread I choose that. Plus I never truely built an AMD system from the ground up, just modified systems so drastically the original manufacturer wouldnt recognize it.
    I have an extra HD laying around so I will clone my Raptor to save everything, then format it and start my new build with fresh everything.
    ---edit--- I think I might upgrade my board selection to your recommendation aabbccdd there seem to be many negative reviews about bad chipset fans, Northbridge all that good stuff with my original pick. I dont think a fanless board has problems with fans. I also have Corsair XMS 2x 1GB DDR3200 on the way cause I dont think the board will like my old ones from this build.

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've read articles involving coprocessors recently to enhance gaming by adding a physics coprocessor to deal with the various aspects of realistic motion. But here is a discussion of incorporating coprocessors in Opteron systems.

To read it follow the link.

http://www.informationweek.com/industries/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=187202340

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@brobear.
    thanks for the invite to the thread.
    as i said before i wanna try and build me my own system. im not a total genuis on all this but from what i hear i shouldnt have to hard of a time.
    i currnetly have a asus MB and want to stayt with that brand. but which(amd)or (intel) i have been reading in the past post eveyone has alot of good things bout them all. i am wanting a duel core system.cpu mem etc..... any suggestions welcomed from all. as before economically friendly is what im looking for but i know it starts with a good quality MB and you can allways add to it..

5. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Hey, i was wondering how much you think a P4 3.2 ghz with HT would sell for on Ebay.......I am planning on selling it and an buying a better CPU probubly an Intel Pentium D 940 3.20GHz / 4MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Dual-Core / Presler / OEM / Socket 775 / Processor.....I got my eye on that one off of tigerdirect.....

Thanks

6. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

tocool

Try searching ebay for similar items,see what others are getting for them.That's the only way I can think of doing it as there are no used cpu price guides that I'm aware of.

Why not get the price it sells for new and knock off say...25%

7. brobear

brobear Guest

cincyrob
    Some of us start with the processor we want and then get the mobo to complement it. Even when buying the mobo first, you're starting to limit your CPU selection by brand and socket configuration. Starting the selection process with the CPU just makes more sense to me. Of course CPU and mobo selection is closely related, so the choice of CPU should be with some mobo in mind. Asus covers a lot of territory with both Intel and AMD offerings. So, what CPU do you want to go with your Asus board?

There's the bargain D805 Intel which is a current "hot" toy. You need to OC it to get the performance. You also need to think heavy duty on cooling and power (but to be on the safe side, that's a good idea with most builds, if you're going to tweak with an OC). Then the Intel prices escalate. Currently the D805 is about the only interesting offering from Intel. The Conroe vapors haven't condensed yet. We're still waiting. What wasn't covered here in this thread was that Anandtech had a second look at the Conroe and AMD comparison. The BIOS used in the test, which was questioned by some, actually proved not to have any effects (or little effect) on performance in that case (so they say). I suspect Intel may have a CPU that will get them back on top, or at least close. No way of knowing how it will effect the competition, because no one knows exactly when the Conroe will arrive and what AMD will deliver in the meantime. AMD hasn't delivered their AM2 yet. So, no one knows how the projected releases will work out.

For good quality and performance in dual core, I've been suggesting the CPU that Sophocles did his build with, the AMD Opteron 175. The 170 is a nice CPU and more affordable. Go by what you can afford, but don't skimp here.

Another thing to think about is robbing your current PC for parts. Do you want a functional backup PC or do you need to save money by using your old parts. Most of us have a use for the second computer or at least have someone who is deserving and in need of a PC.

How much money do you have earmarked for this PC build?

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There were other considerations as well. One especially important overlook was the crossfire chipset which was known at the time to perform worse than the NV4 chipset. In the end Conroe would have still won, but by a much smaller margin.

Another issues that plague's the Intel test is that it was comparing an unavailable future CPU against a readily available current CPU. The real test will be to test Conroe against whatever AMD has available at the time of its release.

When Conroe is no longer a future promise and it wins against whatever AMD has available then it can move into the top spot.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

tocool
    A lot depends on what you have. The typical 3.2GHz P4s are well below $200 retail on "pulls" (about $175 for socket 775). Newegg is selling an OEM socket 775 open box for $186. I've seen OEMs going for about $160 for some socket 478 CPUs. Northwoods hold a bit of a premiuim with the 2MB cache versions being a bit high priced. I saw one listed just recently for near $500. I've noticed higher. If what you have is a Prescott, be realistic; there's a lot of them, they're relatively low priced retail, and they're not overly popular with custom builders. Which would you rather have, a new $130 D805 dual core or a single core 3.2GHz P4?

Do as suggested and google some of the auction sites. 75% of retail on a 3.2 GHz P4 would be pretty good with the current changes in available processors. A lot of people are dumping for the same reason you are.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    The important thing we can take away from the Anandtech preview is that Intel has a decent processor, if they can ever get it to market. As for fairness, it wasn't overly skewed toward Intel's Conroe, even you note that Conroe would have won, though by not such a noticable margin (which I didn't consider that big anyway). We've already discussed the situation. None of us are overly happy with "vapor" products.
    I covered some of the concerns in my post to Cincyrob. I'm still interested in how it turns out, just glad I don't have a purchase hinging on the outcome. I don't have the patience.

Currently I'd use the CPU you have, the Opteron 175 or the one just below it, the 170 (depending on available funds). Have you found anything better that would be a better value as far as quality, cost, and performance go? Cincyrob is looking for pointers on a build. I'm waiting to see what his budget looks like.

11. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Really?

I had this build for about 3 months and i got my Intel P4 640 3.20gGHz HT 2M 800FSB Socket 775 $229.78

that is what it came out to on tigerdirect...........Did i not choose right with pricing?

I looked earlier today and they arn't carrying the 640/3.2....They only have the 641/3.2

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Tocool
    I suspect yours was a boxed item with the factory warranty. So, the pricing was probably about right. Now that it's for sale it's no longer a new boxed item. What are they going for at eBay?

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Newegg is still selling the 640 for $209.99. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116197 That's about $20 off what you paid 3 months ago. 75% of that is $157.49? I consider that a little high for a used Prescott. Luckily you don't need to rely on me for the sale though. I'd go with a cheaper dual core, if I was shopping in that price bracket.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

The Opteron would still be my first choice even today.

I did in fact agree that Conroe would best most current offerings, but I also was making the point that it is a tomorrow product competing against todays. By the time Conroe is released it will be competing against AM2 and maybe even AM3. This could mean that it might end up only holding the lead while it was unavailable.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Thought I covered that. Guess it got lost in the verbosity. LOL However, I didn't mention an AM3. ;)

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

A forum/topic thread on THG where a Conroe enthusiast is collecting as much data as he/she can.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hard...Data-Core-Duo-Core-Extreme-ftopict183765.html

SiSoft Sandra Dhrystone/Whetstone/Integer/FP/MemInt/MemFloat
    Conroe: 27395/18882/163122/88312/7367/5871
    Merom: 27515/18720/163693/88016/5478/5481

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99466

Everybody is talking it up or down but until it is out and until AMD shows their card(s) all of this is just that, talk. Only time will tell if either can walk the walk. :)

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Scubabud
    The conclusion we've drawn here is fairly accurate, it's a battle of fanboys speculating till one of the companies starts to put the products on the block. So far we've only seen a glimpse of some future (vapor) processors. Till they arrive, no one really knows how any of them will stack up or what options and pricing will be aviailable. When they're at Newegg or one of the other vendors, then we can discuss steppings and pricing. That one thread only proved what a fanboy the author was by collecting articles that have been written by others, such as the anandtech article. Same old smoke, just more in one spot.

18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Looks like you can get a p-4 prescott(478) from 100 to 150 on e-bay.
    You just have to keep looking and waiting for the right one.
    I see my Abit Ic7-g is still getting 100 to 150 and some idiots have bought the buy me now for over 250. This is a 478 mobo.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

brobear,

I was just re-reading some of the last few pages of this thread. I noticed you said "car seat". That's incorrect! It was sitting on the back floor when he hit a bad pothole. Car went down until the bumper hit and stopped. Cpu cooler continued down and took the socket off flush with the MB. Like I said, it takes a pretty good bang! The shame is that if he had put it on the seat lying on it's right side, nothing probably would have happened.

I can attest to the force of hitting a big hole. I once dropped the right rear into an open 36" service manhole on the Delaware Memorial Bridge in the middle of the night. Along with the sudden stop it ripped the spring plate right off of the suspension. Only a couple of tow safety chains, some bolts and washers and a lot of luck got us back to N.J.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

20. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

I said 98% store bought or dell, I'd say 40% compaq, 40% HP, 10% acer, 5%emachine ( HP/Comp) 5% dell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.