1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

bobsatguy
    You may have thought you said it, but those statements are vastly different. I might add you may want to work on your percentages. The students in the technical computer courses where I went to college were required to have advanced math skills (at least 2 semesters of college calculus). And how you ascertain whether some of those brands come from a store or online is amazing unless you have a questionaire about where the customer purchased their PC. With Dell having such a huge market share, I wonder why you don't see more of those. From the percentages, it would imply that the Intel platforms sold by Dell are superior to the others. We know that isn't so (they're pretty much the same).

40% + 40% + 10% + 5% = 95% leaving Dell 5%. That comes out even. But you initially said 98% have store bought or Dell, "[bold]them[/bold]" can only mean [bold]store bought and Dell[/bold] from that statement. You can see how that might interfere with the numbers of your second statement. Are those percentages to make up the 98% you mentioned (store bought or Dell) or the whole 100% of your traffic? From your original statement you would have had 2% of your repairs coming from online sales other than Dell. I would have imagined more Gateways, besides a higher Dell percentage. As I mentioned, those other brands do a lot of online sales as well. I know I'm being "picky", but you're the one making claims.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2006
  2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear, what I was trying to state is there are fanboys on BOTH sides and until we see can see, purchase and test either the Conroe or AMD's newest offerings after Conroe all of this talk is just speculation.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

;) I agree, seems we're saying the same thing only wording it a bit different at times. BTW, how did you like my 400 horsepower V8 PC duster? LOL

=====================================================================

[​IMG]

=====================================================================

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Man, I think you would take out the whole neighborhood with that thing!!! <G>

5. brobear

brobear Guest

It would. I'd feel sorry for the poor critter or person who walks too close to the intake or exhaust, even with a guard on it (either stuck to it or blown away). 200 mph flow with that kind of volume creates a hefty force.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think the intake and stuck to it would be the right words. It would be more like dropping raw liver into a food processor or blender set on high.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

I guess I'd best not build one of these in the garage then (no PC dusting business). If I had any neighbors left after the first use, they might start complaining. Besides, the dogs, cats, birds, and children might start to go missing (as well as a few houses and other miscellaneous items being blown away). But can't you just hear that unmuffled 400 hp engine winding up and the banshee squall of the prop moving a wind with horrific force.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@brobear
    i kinda have my eye on this CPU-Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / Socket 775 / Dual-Core / Processor with Fan. its $229 i think at tigerdirect. im sure its cheaper else where havent looked any place but tiger. what your thoughts opn it? and id like to stay around $500-550 price rang. and as for me using my older parts. id just buy new. give my sons this computer.

man if ya miss a day on here you miss about 50 post..lol

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

cincyrob

Before you make your final decision, go back and read the post about the
    D805 for $128.00 at newegg. Although the article suggests that one will need liquid cooling to reach 4.1 Ghz, quality air cooling should do just fine for it to hit 3.8 Ghz.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Sophocles
    thats where my ignorance comes into play, i dont know enough about this stuff yet to try tweaking one out like that. im just wanting to build one that will give me the power i am wanting. i do alot of stuff on here and i get slowed down trying to do to much at once on this system. thats why im interested in the duel core stuff. but i have been told that once i build my own i will wnat to do the tweaking.. i will give that D805 a look im not set on anything yet(plus still havent gotten the ok the the wife)lol

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just checked out the D805. nice cpu. i did notice that its only 533mhz fsb dont ya need at least 800mhz? just something i heard. what type of board is it compatible with ?

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Cincyrob

Here's a link for comparison's sake.
    http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=16244815/search=Pentium+D+820

Intel Pentium D 820 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core EM64T Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116213
    $181.99

On the 820, Newegg has that price beat by about $47 from the $229 Tigerdirect price you quoted; plus there's the difference between OEM and a retail boxed item and the guarantee. Sophocles is right though, the D805 is in the same series as the 820. It's only slightly slower at base settings, but is much better when OC(ed). Check out the Tomshardware article on the D805. That's what has everyone stirred up on this CPU for now.

You haven't given yourself much of a budget either. Your CPU and mobo will run in the neighborhood of $300 if you want to make it a performance PC (give or take, according to what you settle for). You can cut that to less than $200, if you want to build on the cheap.

Intel Pentium D 805 533MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001
    $129.50

You want the processor with BO stepping, check Sophocles post on page 137 on how to ID. Most vendors have phone support as well as online, so you should be able to call to be sure of what you're ordering.

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118003
    $62.99 (This is the one they used in the Tomshardware build and one I suggest, if you're going to OC your system.)

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100007
    $5.99 (One of the more important expenditures, though low cost.)

ASUS P5V800-MX Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131567
    $49.99 (inexpensive mobo)

ASUS P5WD2-E Premium ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131589
    $249.99 (high end mobo, like the one in the Tomshardware build, performance oriented)

The Asus P5WD2 boards start about $110 (open box) and go up to the $250 Premium. I'd go with at least the low end of these. If it was going to be my only PC for a while, I'd probably spring for the extra $140 and get the high end board with the bells and whistles.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1315&SubCategory=280

Make up your mind here and then we can go on to drives, both HDD and optical. I like WD HDD(s) and Plextor optical drives (whichever, you want a burner that will booktype). If you're going to OC, then a Raptor would be a nice hard drive, not a "have to" though. If you're going to be doing a bunch of encoding, you'll want a large storage drive. Get a floppy, they're cheap. You need a good power supply. A good case to put it all in is needed. Remember if you go with the Zalman, you need room in the case and on the mobo. If you're going to pass on your old PC to your son, then you'll need a monitor, keyboard, and a mouse. Let's not forget the video card, RAM, and some speakers.

You can use the stores search at Tomshardware to help compare prices.

So, which processor and mobo will it be and do you want to go with the Zalman 9500?

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@ brobear.
    i have just been to newegg looking at all those cpu's and boards. i tend to like the d820 cpu. need to decide on the MOBO. there are quite a few of them to choose from. now let me show some more iggnorance what is OC?

14. brobear

brobear Guest

OC is [bold]O[/bold]ver[bold]C[/bold]lock(ing). You can change the board settings and speed up the frontside bus you were worried about and in the process increase the processor speed. As long as a person doesn't overdo it, no problems. That's why the D805 is a better buy than the 820, it OC(s) better.

The $169 Asus P5WD2 board is a nice one for the socket 775 dual cores, though I prefer the $250 Premium.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Cincyrob
    I suggest you read this article before making any more decisions.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

BTW, if you're smart enough to build a PC, then you can learn to OC it. There are some people here who can lead you through it. Plus the Asus guide for your board should explain a bit about overclock settings. Mine did.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,

I went to Newegg this morning to see about the prices for Intel dual-cores. They have the D805 Smithfield 2.66GHz for $129.50, up to the D940 Pressler 3.2GHz for $259.99. Everything else (except OEM) is over $350.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1707842+1302820275&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=343

One thing I did notice is that the only ones with Hyper-Threading are the Extreme Editions. Also I noticed that the Pressler has a 2Mb x 2 L2 cache as opposed to the Smithfield with 1Mb x 2. At $259.99 for the D940, I'm going to have to re-think what direction I want to go! I found an Asus P5RD1-vm MB that supports the Pentium D, has a PCIe x16 slot, supports PC3200 and has on-board video.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131565
    with the PCIe x16 slot better video would be just down the road. So for less than $350 I can have a pretty decent 3.2GHz Dual-Core system. I have everything else!

I just walked off the job on Friday, and will be filing harrasment and sexual harrasment charges against the company today! Moneys going to be a little tight for a while so that's another thing for me to consider. If anyone comes across an Asus MB that supports both PC3200 and P-4Ds and has a PCIe x16 please let me know.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok brobear. im sold on the d805 i see what you mean about being able to OC with it. but like they say some things just seem to be to good to be true. i was looking at the diagrahms they have there at tomshardware(i like that site)since we are talking about OC now,lol can i oc my system i have now? and if so do you have a thread on OC'ing(guide)? my cpu is intel(r) celeron(r)cpu 2.93ghz.
    you all have got my brain just a running on the possabillities i have here...lol

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  18. brobear

brobear Guest

Not many of the Celerons have been that good for OC(ing). Of course there is the famous 300MHz that could be OC(ed) to 450MHz, but that's old news. Also, a lot depends on the mobo you have, whether custom or OEM. Most of the OEM boards have a locked BIOS and some of the less expensive boards aren't OC friendly. You mentioned your board was Asus, which one and what is the Celeron you have and the socket type? A link to these at Newegg or somewhere would help clue us in on what you have. Is your system custom built or a factory built PC?

19. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Cincyrob
    I suggest passing the Celeron on to your son and building the D805. With the $169 Asus board you're starting with your core components for about $300. It's $450 with the Premium board. Of course you can go cheap, but I don't know how OC friendly the $50-$60 Asus boards are. With one of the inexpensive boards, the CPU and mobo can be had for less than $200. They aren't the boards you see many articles written about. The inexpensive boards are mainly for basic service applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.