1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You and I share that opinion. I think air is fantastic!

The idea was in fact that it could be heard for 100 miles.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@brobear.
    been working havent been able to get back with ya on my system i have now my mobo is Asus p4gv-la CPU celeron 340p 2.93hz socket 478 533mhz fsb,Northbridge intel 845gv chipset. mem 512mb pc2700 184pin ddr. i know its nothing to brag about but hey it was abirthday present..lol is it capable to be tweaked?(oc)?

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

4. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

theonejrs

The mother board is the stock issue Dell/Intel on6381,with the I865g (Morgan Hill) chipset.It's still pretty much a Dimension 3000,the only changes are the addition of the 2 x 512 Corsair xms c2pt ddr 400 ram,an Ati rage 128 pro Aiw video card(pci no agp slot) a Thermaltake 450W Psu,an additional Maxtor 250Gb.hard drive and a couple additional fans.

If I ever change anything it will the M/B and case,Video card,and cpu cooler.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cor Rage Pro, that takes me back!

6. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

sammorris
    Cor rage pro? Never heard of it..I was referring to the Ati all in wonder Rage 128 pro w/tv tuner card. Same animal different name?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The cor was an exclamation, not part of the name, sorry!

8. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

No apology needed!It's not a bad old card after you get all the drivers sorted out plus it performs a little better than the Intel 22865g on board graghics(96mb.)as for the tv tuner...well it works,though I don't use it.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I had the old standard integrated version back in 1999, ran without needing upgrading for three years!

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's some helpfull information regarding CPU Coolers:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/25/six_coolers_for_amd_processors/page21.html
    The results are pretty impressive! Here's the Db levels as well!
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/25/six_coolers_for_amd_processors/page22.html
    A lot's changed since I purchased my Zalman (thank you Sophocles)9500.
    Vapochill is now making an "air" cooler. Some of the higher rated coolers last year are not included in this years test.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Brobear-Sammoris-aabbccdd
    I took your advice and changed ram to the PC3500. You asked about other parts, for cooling, I have one of these already
    ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu LED 2 Ball Blue LED-http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835118119 and also Arctic Silver High Density Silver thermal compound. I realised I would not be able to use my old power supply (only a 450 and no pci-e) so since I always wanted modular
    XCLIO 500W ATX 500W Power Supply-http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817189012
    I know its not a brand name PS, but I googled and yahoo'd XCLIO and found a few modders and tweakers have benched different models in a setup that was power hungry and checked it during stress tests and everything was always stable. Had good reviews by people not affiliated with the company.
    Thanks for all the help everyone and no more toys!!! I already doubled what I thought I'd spend on this. :)

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's interesting, though I'd like to see how the Freezer64 Pro compares in the same test.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Deadrum33
    Occasionally a person can find some great buys and use a CPU that takes little tweaking to get respectable performance. For others, we find the cost not to be quite as low as initially expected. All the extras just keep adding up. However, the end product we get with a custom build is better than what we could buy the same for retail. Also, building it oneself allows the choice of the components. I've noticed retail PCs are often built with less expensive components to increase the profit margin. Less expensive sometimes means less quality and/or fewer functions.

As for your CPU cooling needs, how high are you wanting to OC and what do you anticipate your cooling needs to be? If your 7000 meets the needs and you don't feel the need for a higher performance cooler, then you have a good one. The 7000 is easily better than stock cooling. The 9500 is more top of the line. The 7700 is also a good choice for the higher capacity needs. I've got a 7700 in my current system. Overkill, but I like knowing my CPU is getting all the air it needs, doesn't hurt to divert a bit more air to the board chips as well.

Theonejrs
    Are you being a fanboy again? LOL I noticed the Zalman 9500 came out as the favorite in the cooler testing... again.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

I must confess, Sophocles led me astray! Seriously, the 9500 finished first in every catagory except weight. That honor, (by a wide margin) went to the EKL V8 at pretty close to 200 grams heavier. You got to take a look at this thing. It's massive with a fan cover that makes it look like some sort of hot rod engine. It's also very noisey when you run the fan at full speed, which it needs to do to keep things cool. The Gigabyte Rocket Pro was the loudest at an incredible 49.1Db. Now that's loud!!!

The most interesting cooler is the Vapochill Micro. It pretty much finished in second place behind the 9500. At $45, it's worth looking into. It's quiet and very effective.

Yea, I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to Zalman. The zalman sticker is proudly affixed to the blank little square for a label on the right side cover.. I highly recomend any of their coolers but especially the 9500.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

15. crowy

crowy Guest

Currently just over 2.5gb:)
    [​IMG]
    Thermaltake big typhoon coming soon!
    CPU Temp@43degrees on stock cooling.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2006
  16. brobear

brobear Guest

Cincyrob

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Asus has a lot of downloads for different boards, but I couldn't find anything on the one you listed. I'm not familiar with the board you have. I noticed Compaq used the board in their Presario. What brand and model is your PC? Just wondering if what you have is an OEM board. If so, they're usually locked. As for the CPU, I've not noticed a rush to OC the socket 478 Celerons. Maybe Sophocles or one of the others can enlighten you. I'm still a novice where OC(ing) is concerned. There's also a lot of sites on the net with sections (or entirely) devoted to OC enthusiasts. A little googling might be in order there.

What have you decided on your build so far?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2006
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The vapochill micro looks good, but the noise for some coolers is ridiculous, as is the weight. Absurd, some of them.

18. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Okay I'm a moderator at Xtreme-Source.com. I talked to a couple staff members who're PC saavy, and they say that the D805 may not be as good as it's cracked up to be, pointing to the temperature at around 4.0GHZ. What do you guys think?

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Nothing really to think about, your associates only pointed out what has already been mentioned. The testing showed that at 4.0GHz the processor starts needing to go on liquid cooling. That leaves a lot of capacity (1.34GHz) between the stock frequency (2.66GHz) and 4GHz where the air cooling starts needing to be upgraded. Not many processors are being OC(ed) over 4GHz on air. So I guess I'll have to disagree with your associates, I don't see that as making the D805 less attractive. Ideally processors wouldn't create heat, to some extent that's a drawback with all processors, some more than others. Everyone should realize the 805 is a warm running CPU up front. Also, with the 805 the FSB is upped, so one is no longer looking at the stock 533MHz FSB. Just being able to get to 4GHz is quite an achievement, it being OC(able) above that makes it the more interesting. A 4GHz dual core processor is nothing to scoff at. That means for the average builder, they can have one of the best OC friendly CPUs for very little and for the hardcore enthusiast, they can have an interesting processor they can push over 4GHz on liquid and experiment with a high performance setup without breaking the bank. The D805 isn't the greatest CPU, but it's definitely interesting and well worth the price.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2006
  20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Tokijin

The temperature around 4. Ghz is a problem if you don't have effective cooling. The real point is that it can hit 4 Ghz and be stable for about $130, that's less than most single CPU's cost. I figure with a decent air based Heat sink and fan, over clocking the processor to 3.7-3.8 Ghana should be a no brainier, and it would still one heck of a bargain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.