1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, only Burner drives show up in that program because readers don't have much to do with burning do they?

Yes, I deliberately said 'all' for the second bit of info in my earlier post because the first part was responding to something sophocles had said. I certainly didn't mean to exclude you, brobear...

2. brobear

brobear Guest

sammorris
    Just ragging you on the "all". Have to kid around a bit. Some of this info gets so dry after a while, I have to have some fun while talking about it.

theonejrs
    Part of "All", aka brobear, is back. LOL I've got an extensive batch of AV ware. I have the Norton Internet Security suite, that's the firewall, anti-virus, spam filters, and clean up, just in case you're not familiar with it. It's the first line of defense and I've tested it against a number of the other name programs and I've yet to find anything to beat it. Then for keeping the pests cleaned out and to ensure system health I have the Norton SystemWorks.

Symantec has some good apps, good support and I like their info database. Add to that the retail Ad-Aware SE Pro, Spy Sweeper from WebRoot and Spybot and there's a well set up AV ware system. Those are some of the top apps on the market, retail and freeware, what one doesn't catch, odds are one of the others will get it in the cleanup. There's a freeware version of the Ad-Aware SE and a trial of the Spy Sweeper. The Spybot is free as well. The Norton and Spy Sweeper include one year subscriptions to updates for AV definitions and updates for the programs.

Depending on the need, there's the Ad Watch, that goes with Ad-Aware, and Spy Sweeper that are pro active as well as the Norton. Then all the apps do detail and custom searches. One just needs the updates kept up, which I do at least once a week. Not keeping up the updates and not having a routine schedule is where a lot of problems happen. Software is no good unless it's kept up and used.

I have access to a huge library of software for testing purposes. The programs I mentioned are just the ones I preferr and I didn't do extensive testing such as benchmark type tests. With the AV ware I'd just run different apps until something came up one couldn't handle, then I'd find something that would. By elimination, the apps I mentioned above are the ones that I find that work best for me. So, I'm not going to get into a discussion of what's best with anyone. If someone has something different than what I have and it works for them, then I'm happy for them. There's a ton of apps out there, these just happen to be my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2005
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I agree with the joke, It can get a little dull here, but we've kind of started a few new discussions along the way.
    Do you use ALL of those security apps on your PC? That's quite a large number of programs to be running at once, Windows must take quite a while to boot...
    Ok, i'm not one to talk, my system tray has 20+ icons in it, but only 1 of those is for security software.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

Norton's does use a lot of resources but it's the software conflicts that it creates that moved me to ZoneAlarm scurity suite which uses fewer memory resources. I also run Microsoft spyware remover and adaware. To keep my PC running snappy I use Diskeeper which defrags my hard disk each night as I sleep.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

It doesn't take too long to boot. I've never timed it, but it isn't annoying. There's a lot to boot up besides the AV ware. Usually I only boot once or twice a day. Extra reboots usually only happen when loading apps and a reboot is required.

Only the Norton with the firewall and antivirus start from the boot out of all the AV apps. The onboard protection of XP is turned off as well. Special circumstances are needed to have the Spy Sweeper and Ad Watch running with the Norton in pro active mode at the same time. The system handles it without a noticable slowdown though. Scans are separate due to the nature of the process. So they're not all scanning at the same time. However when they're on at the same time, they do monitor and block at the same time. I only start up everything when I'm in a situation I should know better, but do it anyway. LOL It prevents registry changes, homepage hijacks and a lot of other things one doesn't usually think of until it's too late. Some of the functions are repetitive, but the cleaning by one can sometimes miss things caught by another. Tests by some of the software sites showed that and I found it true from personal experience. Normally though, just running the Ad-Aware Pro will clean everything up. It's the fastest of the bunch. When I've been toying with suspect files though, I'll run the complete battery. Since I'm always messing around with files, and not all cleared by Microsoft, I run all the programs at least once a week.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    After the boot, only the AV and firewall with the filters are taking up memory with Norton. I have ample resources, so it isn't a factor. Norton has a number of utilities including Speed Disk which defrags and can be scheduled at the owner's preference. Same goes for scans. As I said though, if what you have works for you, I'm happy for you. LOL BTW, what conflicts are you talking about? I haven't had any. Besides the time I was trying other apps, some of them ones you've suggested, I've had this software, or older versions of it, on this system for nearly 2 years. I used similar Norton apps before that on other systems I've had. I don't remember conflicts because of those apps either. Microsoft and Symantec play well together. I suspect Bill and the boys at Symantec are buddies.

7. need_for2

need_for2 Guest

AMD all the way!!

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

Norton's runs in the background and it drains resources at the most unexpected times. I can usually pickup an OEM copy of Norton's for under $15 on Ebay. I've been running Norton's since the days when the whole thing used to come on floppy dics only but I decided to give another suite a try and so far I'm happy with it. The only real weakness with Zonealarm suite is its spyware removal and I already have enough of those.

http://cnet.search.com/search?chkpt=astg.cnet.fd.search.cnet&q=zonealarm+security+suite&tag=srch

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servle...te=20050301&archive=bwire&slug=20050301005319

9. brobear

brobear Guest

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I never said that Norton's was bad. BTW, your link to a review was a year old in September 2005. Here's a more recent one from 2005. You'll note the mention of NIS slowing down the system.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1755082,00.asp

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles

I wasn't being confrontational at all and wasn't taking anything you said as such.

NIS does take up system resources. Nobody, and I don't think even Symantec, is denying that. The links were only to show that Norton has won awards in the past. No great feat, seems somebody is always giving them out. Anyone with a little PC, with limited resources, should think twice before adding one of the Norton software suites. As I mentioned, I've never put it on a tiny system where it would cause a problem and haven't had any to date.

Hmmm... Editor's Award? Does Zonealarm, Norton, or other AV ware edit? Not likely, unless you consider removing a virus as editing. I wish they would publish some of the criteria used for making those awards (maybe the criteria was "edited" out, LOL). What unbiased research facility actually set down and did the testing and where are those results?

There's room for more than one AV app. It seems the market is flooded with AV ware though, some not so good and others "award" winning. Spammers, hackers, crackers, and the gaggle of attackers have fostered multi million dollar businesses. Seems they've done more damage to wallets than PCs. Gotta have those AV apps.

Speaking of money, magazines and other media sources require funds to stay in business. Besides sales to consumers, adverts are a staple that keeps them going. Who advertises? Think companies like Symantec, McAfee, Zonelabs, and the many other AV ware companies. I wonder if some of the awards may not be for advertising instead of "editing". LOL The attack gang has even helped out the mags. Who hasn't vicariously read those stories about the villainous virus attacks and the valiant geeks at the dauntless software companies who come heroically to our rescue, zooming courageously down the net by way of their trusty, shiny PCs? (A little melodramatic, I know. l0l little laugh) Point being, at what point does a media source stop being unbiased and resort to the fiancial model for self preservation? Don't ya love how I sneak in an "editorial". LOL

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

LOL, I never thought you were being confrontational, I've known you long enough to know the difference by now.

I have to be fair in stating that I also like Norton's and just for the record they've both received Editor choice awards at the same time. Zone Alarm just edged out Norton's for a slightly better overall rating.

13. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I used to be a Norton fan some time ago. It is still an option for some but it annoys the heck out of me from so many angles I no longer use it or recommend it to anyone.

McAfee is what I used until last year. Now it has joined the list of bloated annoying programs I don't use anymore.
    I use a mix of ZoneAlarm for firewall and Trend PC-cillan.
    ZoneAlarm has always been my favorite firewall. PC-cillan is presently the most aggressive anti-virus that I have found.
    Norton and McCafee just miss to much and use to many resources.

The loaded components sometimes take on a life of their own and nothing short of complete removal calms the system down.
    I like to keep full control of my system and Norton makes that difficult.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Gentlemen,

I am not a big booster of Norton AV. We had it on my office computer that cratered from a virus so bad that the partition had to be wiped and everything re-installed. Since this was the second time in 2 years with expensive 2004 & 2005 software Suites from Symantic (as in nervous tic), I e-mailed M$ and asked their recomendation for AV. They sent me a CD with Computer Associates AV on it and Service Pack 2. I haven't had any virus problems since. If it can't remove a virus (like jar cache files that are usually zip files) it lets me know the location and I erase that file with eraser. I've gotten in the habit of erasing the jar cache files about once a month. The only thing that takes a little getting used to is that the files scroll down with the last operation first. It took me a little while to realise that the lower file is the virus and the top one how it was dealt with. CA updates a couple of times a week and sends me e-mail to let me know about the upgrade and it's content! Not only that M$ gave me a second year free. When I pay, it will be CA! Hey, I'm a Poet!!!

For Spyware I use Spybot Search and Destroy. Leo LaPort recomended it at the time so I use it. Very minimal spyware problems. I scan it about every 2 weeks to make sure there are no problems. Not much gets by and any change to my registry are paused first for my approval. If something doesn't look right I say no and check it out first. These programs seem to work very well together.

Just my 2 cents worth,
    Russ

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Wow!

I'm always amazed at what will come out of these threads that we make. We're a true online community. LOL

But what I really enjoy most is how all of us come together from far away places, together as a functioning community, a team if you will, a mobile community bent on finding the right answers to the same questions. A multiple intelligences get together and share event. LOL

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,
    I just spotted this motherboard at compusa.com. Whoever named it has a strange sense of humor!

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/854/fatalcopy7zk.jpg

Don't know that I would buy a MB with the model name Fatal! If you look at it quick it looks like Fatality!

Russ

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To sophocles,

I meant to ask you the other day. How do you determine the multiplier for a given CPU? You had mentioned this when talking about the Athlon64 X2 4400+ you wanted and how hard it was to find a CPU with a 9x multiplier.

Sincerely,

Russ

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

Divide your Processors rated speed by its native front side bus speed. For example, I have a Venice core 3500+ which is clocked at 2.2 GHZ when I divide it by the memory's native 200 frontside bus I get 11 which is my clock multiplier speed. I now have my system to 2.64 GHZ which is still divided by 200, with a multiplier of 11 which gives you a frontside bus speed of over 240.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,

What does SLI stand for and what does it do? I noticed at newegg.com that they also have an A8N Deluxe. Which I gather is non-SLI Don't mean to be stupid but I haven't got a clue!

theonejrs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.