1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

Any particular reason you'd choose that over the Asus P5WD2?

2. crowy

crowy Guest

@FIHSNERD,
    The power supply in the case you are looking at won't be suited to the Mainboard.
    This is from DFIstreet:
    You are on your own when using a 20-pin power supply.

DFI no longer will support customers who do not adhere to the minimum power supply requirements.

if the board has a 24-pin power connector, then you must have a true 24-pin power supply.

not a 20-to-24 pin adapter

not a 5,000,323watt 20-pin with 80000 amps on the 12v rail

a true 24-pin native power supply.

period.

there is no argument anymore on this subject.

if the board has a 24-pin power connector, and we state (as we have) that you need a true 24-pin power supply and that a 20-to-24 pin adapter does not work and is not supported, then you need a true native 24-pin power supply.

no arguments

no trying to tell us we dont know what we are talking about.

period

you only have a 20-pin psu? a modded 20-pin psu? a 20-pin psu with a 24-pin adapter?

you are not adhering to the minimim specs required by these boards to run. this means that any problems you have while not adhering to the minimum requirements will result in you being told 'you need a 24-pin native power supply of at least 480w' and that is the only answer you will receive on your problem until you meet the minimum requirements.

sounds harsh?

we don't tell you to put a 24-pin power supply in just to make you angry and see you complain about how you have to upgrade your power supply.

we tell you that you are required to have a 24-pin 480w power supply because that is what is necessary.

if you want to argue about it, by all means continue arguing about it.

but you are not meeting minimum requirements and will not get any answer other than 'you MUST have a 24-pin native 480w power supply to run these motherboards and that is your problem so please upgrade to a minimum 480w 24-pin power supply'

not much else to say on this subject.

i'm tired of some of you who think you know more than our engineers continuing to argue that we have no clue what we are talking about and you can skirt the minimum requirements.

follow the recommended guidelines.

period.

3. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

brobear
    i like abit, but i could go asus. i really would like you to look over this board(from abit) but i can't find it for sale yet.
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=313
    Just check it out, but will the 533fsb d805 work on a board that specifies 800+?
    i really love that ultra case. The zalman will fit in all of those?
    I really do not want to go sli... i think the pcie x16 should be fine.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  4. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

You guys insist that prices are going to come down on the D805 and other processors? Why? New advents in technology? Or is that normally the trend with PC stuff?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy & brobear,

I looked into that Mb but it had a few shortcomings. The memory is split, 2 sockets appiece for DDR and DDR2 which only allows for 2GB. You can't mix them , it's either DDR or DDR2! That's the main problem. There are very few MBs that support DDR and the D940. The PCIe doesn't mean anything to me at this time. I don't plan on buying a special video card for it. I plan to use either the on board graphics or one of my spare AGP cards for now. I'll upgrade the graphics down the road when I upgrade to a high end MB.

That's the beauty of this MB. It only costs $58 and it's the only thing I need to get me running right now. I have everything else! When I started thinking about doing this build I set a limit for myself of $375.00 With tax and shipping it should equal just about that! Plus when I'm done with it and upgrade to a front-line MB, I'll have a good MB to put a D805 in to sell! This MB has everything my present MB has and more. It has good adjustments for processor speed and memory timings.

I'm pretty sure there will be a run on Dual-Core builds come the end of the summer or sooner and it wouldn't hurt to have a fast and inexpensive one on hand. The build market has slowed down a bit and a lot of my customers are asking about Dual-Cores for their next PC. They all know new stuff is coming and are watching the prices, waiting for the right moment. Like I said, it wouldn't hurt to have an inexpensive and fast one to demonstrate or sell.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's exactly the board I was talking about! Seems like a fantastic idea to use 775 with an AGP GPU giving the option to go PCIe later.
    Tbh every board has bad reviews on neweeg and most stuff that's rated very highly everywhere has numerous bad reviews on newegg, half the time people are idiots, put their tech knowledge as "somewhat high" when actually they just expect everything to go as planned without reading the specs and instructions.
    Tbh crowy that just seems like another unfounded dig at Asus, most of those reviews are "Asus suxxxx" not "the P5VD1-X is one of Asus' less impressive boards".

It's not a necessity to have both but it's a convienient upgrade route. Tbh, it's a strategy better suited to AMD builds since Gigabyte have a good combi offering.

The X1600 Pro isn't all that good a GPU despite me preferring ATi cards. I'd recommend the X1600XT or the X800XL.
    I recognised that Baltekmi's link had the rd at the wrong end of the hyperlink: MotherboaURLrd. Tbh for that sort of money you'd be better off with an Asus.

Crowy: that's a very shirty response from DFI. There are also ways I'm sure of getting a board to work with 20-pin PSUs (clearly not with DFI but other manufacturers) as it's been done.

theonejrs: I think you should go with the VD1-X, it's a suitable interim on a relatively low budget. For others looking at Dual cores, maybe P5LD2sare the best bet.

7. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Whooo... i did not know about the power supply bit.. i have one here that might be a 24 pin.. ... is the dfi board that good with overclocking, cause if not, i will just get this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131524

i dont know.. i want to overclock it like hell though..
    and i herd that dfi ws good with that. but know i can see that some of them are a little pissy.. :)
    thanx,
    fihsnerd

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if you're going to overclock the hell out of the CPU, you'll want a top board, so an A8N-SLi like you said (preferably the premium version unless you're actually going to use SLi, heaven forbid in which case the 32 deluxe). Asus will have slightly less stringent requirements about that power connector, it'll just use the 20pin and 4pin that normal PSUs have, though I cannot stress enough how important a good PSU is, especially when overclocking.

9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Sounds about right for DFI. Instead of a Lame Party board get an Asus. It has an aditional 4 pin connector for normal power supplies.
    Mine works fine with an OCed 3800.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6402: LOL! Too true.

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

to add to 64026402's suggestion for a low cost abit, they have a combo deal with that IDENTICAL mobo w/ a Ultra 550w modular X2 power supply (i have 2 of these actually and they work very well IN MY OPINION) :)

i actually paid about $100 U.S. shipped for just the power supply alone in one of my other builds, so with this mobo included i feel it's a pretty good price, if i were even remotely interested in the Intel build, i would definitely consider this combo as the backbone of my system~ :)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2201755

so many choices, best of luck with whichever you decide to go with.

docTY~

13. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi all,

(inquiry in pc noob format)

A few questions as I am sort of stuck on the exact procedures:
    1.Is there a website that shows comparisons with pentium vs. amd?
    2. How do I determine what the difference between corsair and kingston memory
    I am looking into building my own system on a budget no larger than 5,000 U.S. dollars (including all peripherals). This thread has been an excellent source as I find local retailers (i.e. Bestbuy geeksquad) always recommend generic parts work just the same. Building a pc I have no clue at all...any particular products I should focus on? Basically I want my setup based on the intel vs amd debate.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  14. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

MOM?
    Start a newe thread and tell me what it is...
    Sorry All...
    At school...

15. matt72

matt72 Regular member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

matt72: To be honest, unless you're a die hard fan of one or another (In which case you'd ignore benchmarks unless they pointed in favour of your manufacturer) you're better off with AMD. We've proved over the last few dozen pages that they're currently better at everything.
    Corsair and Kingston are just two different brands. They both offer Value stuff (Value Select and Value) and they both offer performance stuff (XMS, HyperX). It's just pick a brandname. Generally, Corsair are just a tad better performing than Kingston, so they're who I recommend.
    With $5000 you can pretty much do anything, so Have a deep think about what you really need!
    FIHSNERD: You know idle chit chat isn't what Forums are for, not these anyway. What's wrong with email, or for that matter even AD Private Messages!!

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just finished giving FIHSNERD & his buddy sh*t for chi chatting on this site. closed 1 thread & hid another.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

It's amazing to read reviews at Newegg. If I had read the reviews before I bought my P4P800SE, I probably wouldn't have bought it! That would have been my loss because it's a great board. I looked into the 3800+ combo but according to Tom's Hardware the D940 is more in the class of the 4200+ or 4400+. It should do me just fine in the role I have planned for it. Thanks for the input!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

19. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@sammorris,

I have been following the threads and so far I am leaning towards amd. Where I am stumped is there is AMD FX-60 (something like that) and wanted a general idea of how to differentiate between amd and intel. Currently on my main system I have amd 3800 which says 2Ghz (3 gigs ram inside) but have been told this is equivalent to a 3.4Ghz intel. Being that I am in the military I need to put together a pc that can backup my dvds I buy (currently 680), act as a home media center (while overseas), gaming which I am about to get into, etc. Newegg was somewhat reputable as shipping goes but the reviews are iffy in my opinion. I don't mind top dollar but after seeing all the tech savvy info here (2 days of reading) I realize my pc is crap as far as what it can do. Multi-tasking is a big thing as I got 2 21" gateway tilt screens..1 for watching tv and the other for my pc (both connected to ATI XP700 pro videocard w/256mb dedicated memory). Sound is a priority (well luxury) as currently I have the creative platinum Hi-Fi sound card but for some reason can't get the sound I'm looking for..that hard knock bass heavy acoustic kick. Hope that's enough to give an idea ofwhat I'm looking to do.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Theonejrs
    It was just a route to take to prevent the need for changing mobos later. I didn't think about your need for the occasional build "fix". ;) As for onboard graphics, I've found most of them to be nowhere close to a decent inexpensive card. I only mentioned those Saphire cards because they're good for what they are and inexpensive, good for a low budget build.

There's not many boards to fit the criteria you wanted, so the one you chose should be as good as any. I just don't like multi function boards like that. But for the purpose you're using it for, I don't find any fault with the application. It's just not a "keeper" like I'm inclined to build.

matt72

With that kind of budget, you can build a dream machine with the best components available. At present I'd suggest the AMD dual core. Intel just hasn't come up with anything to compare with the high end AMD processors. Intel's competition for AMD is still in the "vapor" category, though the D805 would be an interesting build. A pocket full of money can buy better. LOL Take a look at the high end Opterons and the Asus boards. I've got a link for a 1.1kw power supply, if only the best will do. ;) Twin Plex burners, Raptors in RAID and some big storage drives. Put your shopping list together and proffer it for inspection. For RAM, go with the high end XMS Corsair or OCZ. Both are currently favorites for a lot of builders with performance in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.