1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With Dual cores it's hard because no one knows exactly how much things will change when two cores are in use, and there's too much variability. An X2 3800+ could perform like a Pentium 5Ghz in single core mode and Pentium dual core 6Ghz in dual for one app, then a Pentium 3Ghz in single and a dual core 3Ghz in dual for another app. Then that could reverse later on. In general, AMD CPUs are more efficient, put out less heat, and will run faster for the price unless you get a D805 and Overclock it seriously.
    Here's an Idea.

AMD Athlon64 X2 FX-60 (currently the fastest Dual core CPU (and therefore fastest CPU overall). Don't let intel fans have you otherwise with "conroe will beat it" - ain't happening in my lifetime.
    2x1GB or 4x1GB Corsair XMS RAM (CAS2 latency).
    Graphics? If you're just backing up DVDs you don't need a top GPU, but you seem to slate you're not too bad X700 there. However, you mention "getting into games". I'd recommend using an ATi Radeon X1900XT-X or a GeForce 7900GTX (as to which one, depends which games you'll play most, ATI is marginally better overall because it gives a slightly better picture when you watch movies and play games at high quality).
    Despite your budget, ignore two GPUs for now, it really isn't worth it. Go for Asus A8N-SLi Premium, there are no compatibility issues with ATI GPUs and nvidia chipsets despite what many have us believe!
    Tbh, Creative Sound cards offer amongst the best sound in the industry with their equalizers and all. Are you sure your speakers aren't the issue? If not, maybe try an HDA X-Plosion or similar.

Hard disks? Western Digital Raptors, ultimate performance, no compromises.

Have you got a good monitor? Again depending on how much film watching versus Game playing happens, 4:3 monitors are still better than 16:9, though the Sceptre Naga III is good. Or of course the Viewsonic VP201B.
    All this lot can be had at newegg.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. brobear

brobear Guest

baltekmi
    The Asus board I suggested is the one used in the Tomshardware build and is suggested for a performance build with the D805. If memory serves me, Gigabyte has a board they suggested, but the Asus is the one they built with. That should say something about the selection. The parts I posted for Cincyrob are sort of the "Cadillac" line for that build. If a person wants to go on the cheap, it can be easily done. Just don't expect the high end performance one can get from using upscale components.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

sammorriss
    LOL Hope you don't want us to send flowers, if the Conroe pans out. But who knows, it's still in the "vapor" stage. I wouldn't bet my life on Intel staying behind though. They've got the money to buy the best research available and they were the leaders for a lot of years. So, it's not beyond belief they could be once again. They're not out of business yet. But at present, I think most of us agree that AMD has the highend market in their pocket.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Alright, exaggeration. But tbh by the time Conroe comes out, the FX-60 should have dropped in price handsomely, with the advent of the AM2 FX-62 and it's reterming the 5200+. By then, it's no longer needed to be compared to the top Conroe chip, therefore should beat it, right? We can only speculate, but I'm not breaking into a sweat about Conroe. I have every faith that AM2 will be no vapourware, it'll be out around when they say it will. Conroe? Well, I'm waiting!

5. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Fanboy. That's speculation to counter a "vapor". Who knows until they show. All we know is that AMD has the best high end processor at the moment. What [bold]may[/bold] happen with the Conroe is [bold]speculation[/bold] and what AMD [bold]may[/bold] counter with is [bold]speculation[/bold]. I suspect both AMD and Intel will be showing improved processors, but who has the best out of those is yet to be seen. I know there are those rooting for [bold]their team[/bold], but since I'll go with the winner, it doesn't matter to me. I can build either.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2006
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Speculation it is, but June 6th is ooo 19 days away? Conroe hasn't yet given us a precise date. When was the last AMD paper launch? No, seriously I don't know!
    I can build either, but I'm building in June by the looks of it, so I'll be in the AMD camp. It's an "at the time" scenario. If a conroe chip happens to whip the bum of the X2s in the autumn, ah titties. Still, I'll be glad with what I've got, and let us remember that. Few people actually need any more power than an X2 3800+ has to give at present.

7. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Thanks for helping me. My reasoning behind looking at piecing together a top CPU is video encoding then using dvd rebuilder among other video software. Want to cut down time and capturing vhs tapes via usb I understand a high end graphics card will increase the analog to digital quality(still researching that one). Never heard of Asus board but will definitely look into it. From there will be chipsets, bios, and other nuts and bolts. If memory serves me I recall seeing the FX-60 close to $1,000.00 or so. Off to do more research.

8. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

DDP, thanx a lot. i had to talk to my mom, somthing happend at school.. please try not to be such an ***..

i feel better now.. :)

i know i was not supposed to do that.. i just needed to tell her or else i could have gotton into serious trouble..

thanx,
    BTW: what did yall think about the motherboard i choses?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, the 60's not cheap, though truth is, if you don't mind, the other CPUs can be modified to go as fast as it, as long as you get good other components. Oh, and case.
    People like:
    NZXT Lexa Classic
    NZXT Trinity
    Coolermaster Centurion 532
    Thermaltake Soprano
    Thermaltake Super Armor
    Antec Sonata 2
    Amongst a few others.
    Above all, avoid using PSUs that come with cases, I've yet to see a good one. Go with a good PSU like Antec, Enermax, Hiper or Seasonic.

FIHSNERD: bit of advice, NEVER EVER write things like
    to moderators. Hard day or not, well meaning or not, It's a fast route to getting banned. Just a friendly warning. I don't want to sound like I'm bossing people around, that's just as bad, but I think you must realise that's a silly idea. Next time, Private message, that's fine. The A8N-SLi is good, but tbh if you can afford to go premium, do so. It's fanless so will go forever and give you a quieter PC. Stunning board.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

sammorris

;) Actually all a person needs is a little single core Intel CPU like the one I have. It does anything I've tried with it. It may not be as fast as a dual core, but it gets the job done. My discretionary funds are tied up with my other toys right now, so a dual core build isn't in the picture till later in the year or possibly next year. My boats, cars, and motorcycle are going to break me, if I don't watch out. Luckily the wife likes the boats and cars. But as far as the PCs go, dual cores are nice, but not yet a necessity.

As to the spceculation, it can be interesting sometimes. But constantly hearing what Intel is going to do to AMD and AMD is going to do to Intel gets old. I don't mind a bit of speculation on test results, even if a bit contrived like those of the Conroe. At least there was some example of the CPU that was being worked on. I don't like seeing things advertised that long before a public release, but that's advertising for you. AMD has been talking about the AM2 for some time and they've moved the release date a time or 2. In essence any time either of these companies advertises a CPU before release, it's a paper release. Sometimes they deliver on time and sometimes they don't. I suspect both companies will get their CPUs to market eventually. Until they produce though, no one can be sure of how good the performance of either company's CPU is going to be.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, I'd like a faster CPU, if just for DVD converting. Sitting for a good three hours or so encoding AVIs to DVDs is annoying since I can't use the PC for anything else since I only have one core, and I use my PC a heck of a lot, possibly more than I should. Fortunately I'm too young to have boats, cars and bikes, well not too young to drive, but I haven't bothered yet. Unfortunately, I'm so young, I'm still being educated (although a 19 week gap between School and University is good, allows for a part time job) so other than that, I'm not exactly what you'd call "employed" and therefore have very little money. I'm hoping I can keep some of this old PC and sell the other bits off. It's had a nasty life after what happened October 1st 2005, and I could do with a reliable rig for Uni.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

What happened October 1st 2005? With hyperthreading and dual channels a person can multitask on a single core. Having plenty of memory helps. I can encode and do whatever else I want. Usually I do batch encodes overnight, so multitasking with that isn't usually needed.

Enjoy not having the responsibility that comes with a full time job and keeping up with your finances. The way it is now, if you spend too much money on a date, you still get to eat at home. LOL You're living what should be the best days of your life, I hope you're enjoying them. As for that dual core, most of the things you need for the university can easily be done on a slow single core. That is unless you're into classes that use things like CAD and of course a good PC is handy if you're in advanced computer courses. Those lower classes only need a word processor. It's the entertaining things that usually take a speedier CPU. I hope you get that dual core built, it would be a nice tool (and toy) to have while going to school.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2006
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's when my famous mishap happened.
    With a 333FSB and a non-HT processor, this machine, while quite fast, is no multi-tasker. I don't do overnighters any more, I can't be bothered and my PC resides in the same room as I sleep, a mere oooh I dunno 5 feet from my bed? It's not a loud PC but it's by no means quiet. The sum of 3 of the fans in it cost £2.38 (that'd be about $3.60 worth at newegg), so it's surprisingly quiet considering that as well as those 3 there are a further five. I'm well aware I need no dual core high power shinannigins for uni education, but it looks like you saw the real reason for me wanting it. Despite my studies and all, I still think there'll be time for me to play games and all, and I'm fed up of not being able to for this that and the other reason. UT04 and Doom 3 (and even that not greatly) are the limits of what this plays well despite how rammed full of high power stuff it is.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hyper threading works great in an office environment where one might be using MS Word and a spread sheet at the same time, that they're on line. It speeds thing up a bit because many office applications aren't CPU intensive which leaves as much as a half or more of the CPU unused. The function of Hyper threading is to make use of those unused CPU cycles by allowing a second thread to run concurrently with the first. On CPU intensive tasks there would be no or few unused CPU cycles to create a second thread with and so the the CPU effectively is left with one simple reality, it's a single core CPU.

As a non Hyper threaded CPU, the P4 would now be running two applications at the same time but not concurrently. In effect the CPU would have to start oscillating data by back and forth between applications across a single thread. It would be akin to switching a light on and off to light one's living room and patio at the same time. With a true dual core one can "put the pedal to the metal" and run not only two threads at the same time, but two completely separate CPU intensive applications/threads at the same time with, no oscillation.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hyper Transport? That sounds like Hyper Threading to me. I thought Hyper Transport was an ultra fast bus connection between the controllers and the CPU?

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

My wifes gonna kill me. Final build has been ordered. I usually try to be a leader, not a follower; in fact, this build is to show friends and co-workers I do know my business, therefore getting more business from them. But I must admit I let many on this forum drive up my build by helping with "things that are better, only just $X more." Those $X spread over 6 or 7 components is a lot <;p

1 ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    1 AMD Opteron 175 Denmark 1000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model OSA175CDBOX - Retail
    1 ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail
    1 XCLIO X14S4P3 500W ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail
    1 CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 433 (PC 3500) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model
    1 eVGA 256-P2-N555-AX Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Thanks guys, I will be asking in about a week about tweak tips!!!

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes, I seem to have AMD dual core on the brain. LOL But then you knew what I meant, and you knew that it was an unintended error. I did mention hyper threading along with P4 in my second paragraph and everything else that I wrote throughout the statement is true, and all of it from my head, not something I surfed off the net.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

As everyone here knows I was planning an AMD build pretty much because of that statement. I was looking for the most bang for the buck. I've read the reviews and the benchmarks and right now the Intel D940 gives me the most bang for the buck by a wide margin as it's performance is right up there with the x2 4400+ stock. Since the 4400+ costs $460 and the D940 is $200 cheaper, and the Opteron 175 is just about twice the price, it's a no-brainer. It's tough to beat a 3.2GHz Dual Core for $259.99. Especially one that's gotten decent reviews and good benchmark results from Tom's Hardware! I would have serious reservations about going crazy overclocking a D805 as only time will tell whether it will stand up to it or not. Ask yourselves one question! If the D805 could run reliabely at even 3.0, then why didn't Intel promote and release it that way? Intel missed a great opportunity! Or did they? Even as a 3.0 it would still have better than average headroom for overclocking. I might even buy one some day just to play with it. Maybe even put it in the MB I'm getting for this build when I'm ready for a better MB for my main computer. Sort of a "Technical Exercise"!

I consider what I've accomplished with my present P4/3.0/800 computer very gratifying. Acomplished, I might add with the help of this forum! When you overclock, it's all about balance. You rob from Peter to pay Paul. I know that if I put a 3.6 in my computer, it will run rings around my OC'd 3.0. I know the reason for this is when using the stock 3.6 you don't have to rob from Peter to pay paul as everything runs at max speed without any compromise! With my OC'd 3.0 you have to give up some memory speed to run the CPU that fast. No such compromise is needed with the stock 3.6 so it's much faster on a quality MB than the Sandra benchmarks show for a 3.6. The quality and design of the MB does make a difference in the performance of a given CPU. Just ask the $499 Dell owners!

It's been a great learning experience! My computer runs day after day at 3.60 (20%OC) on a 960 fsb. The heat is very managable thanks to Sophocles suggesting that I look into a Zalman cooler. For my 9500, the heat from the D940 should be a snap to handle! I doubt that there will be any bragging rights with this CPU but I just want something that's reliable, fast and reasonable in price. I think I've found it at least for now!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

19. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

20. crowy

crowy Guest

@sammorris,not getting into a ASUS v DFI kiddy debate.
    From what Ive read ASUS tech support is bad at best.If your happy with ASUS and everyone else is happy with whatever they have be it ASUS ACME
    ABCD or whatever thats fine.Im happy with DFI and will continue to recommend it as you do with ASUS.

@FIHSNERD,The power supply thing isnt a big deal.Just means you might not get the case you like unless its available without a power supply pre-installed.If you want to overclock like hell as you put it there is so many options(in fact more options than any other board)to do just that.But BEWARE You can send up to 4 volts to your memory by changing a jumper on the board and then adjusting accordingly within the genie bios settings.This is not recommended unless your ram is the best of the best and you know what your doing.I feel you can learn so much about o/c with this board but if your a little apprehensive then go with another board be it ASUS or whatever you may find these are
    less confusing.
    OK this is where I'm at now.
    Still at 43 degrees.
    Going to run prime 95 soon to see how it goes.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.