1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroBear1

BroBear1 Guest

sytyguy
    I didn't mean to get the wrong name. No offense, I was just pointing out people shouldn't get personal over other people's choices on hardware. I'd hate to see this thread sink to that. My apology if you were offended. So, no need to mention names again. As for my being banned, I went to bed and woke up banned. I've had no harsh words with anyone for some time. Seems some people can pick on me with impunity and if I say something I'm persona non grata.

2. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

BroBear1,

No offense taken, I knew it had to be a mistake, but I just wanted to clarify.

I have to agree, someone must have a hard-on against you. I don't know what they are thinking........you're too much of an asset to have been banned.

Best regards,

Rich

3. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@brobear/brobear1

as stated in the PM u sent me, i am actually PERSONALLY disturbed at this "permanent banning" that you received, while i do not follow you around seeing in WHICH post/thread you might have "slipped up", i can definitely vouch for you in that you've done nothing wrong/broken any rules that I can personally see...

without mentioning any names, i think we BOTH know who we have a "vendetta" of sorts with, from BOTH our past experiences here on AfterDawn...

it's one thing to "stick up for a friend/member" on here, but it's a completely different tune to "kiss a$$" just because of what one has done (contributions) IN THE PAST, i am completely 100% on your side in that regards, you know me well enough that we share a certain dislike/animosity towards a particular individual that if the staff at AD feels that because a person feels this way towards someone, they can just as well ban me too~ i'm dead serious.

anyone can do a basic search on my posts in the past and see the contributions i've made in the dvd media forum, countless hours and a genuine sincerity to help those out with media issues was and IS my main area of "expertise" :) if others feel i have NOT made an impact in that field, feel free to report me too for "being useless to you"

anyways, i will not continue this post about my PERSONAL feelings about this, i will keep this private between you and i, however, i DO share your same sentiments about the actions taken against you. you are one of the FEW members here i actually respect for your knowledge, contributions and a genuine desire to help others that are in the search for knowledge. i will not drag this thread down if that is what i seem to be doing, you have MY support, however much that may mean to you or anyone else here at AfterDawn.

docTY~

4. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I'm dumbfounded. I thought the banned thing was a joke. It still is in the worst way.
    I have seen no misbehavior on your part brobear. Have you recieved no PM about a problem, because it isn't in your posting.

Is there no one minding the store. When something like this happens to a long term member it is public and the forum should know the circumstances.

5. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Brobear,

A considerable number of moderators and other users have been displeased by your behaviour for a long time. You were arrogant and disrespectful towards the moderators, which is more than enough reason for being banned. You were banned by dRD, and the ban is, indeed, permanent.

We are in no way questioning your knowledge or the value of your postings, and you are welcome to use your new account at the forums. However you definitely need to pay more attention to your attitude towards both moderators and other users.

On behalf of the AfterDawn administrators,

Jari

6. BroBear1

BroBear1 Guest

Jari
    I appreciate your candor. But your post only addressed part of the situation, I now know who banned me. As to the reason why, that still appears to be a bit vague. Who are the moderators I was disrespectful to? On numerous occasions I've supported the moderators as being the reason we can have a decent environment in which to interact. It's a shame a small few of those have let the power they enjoy go to their heads, becoming a part of problems instead of a solution. I know of only one moderator that I've been disrespectful to and that moderator deserves that disrespect due to his bringing a vendetta to this forum from elsewhere.

From the sounds of your complaint, I don't play well with others. It appears there is a need for joining some sort of clique and bowing to the will of those who like to complain and play games with some of the moderators. I ask now, [bold]what did I actually do[/bold], other than disagree with posted material on this and other forums? [bold]Who are the moderators[/bold], other than one that I've disrespected. Other than the one, I've respected the mods and any disagreements were discussed in private. [bold]Where are the personal attacks I'm supposed to be guilty of[/bold]? I've noticed there are members such as Gwendolyn who have complained about my posting. If I disagree with some people, it was purely on subject matter. I'd actually like to see where I've confronted anyone on a personal basis in a long time (other than your one mod). It appears that a lot of egos came into play with little substance. If I'm wrong, I'd like to have it pointed out for future reference.

As for your allowing this new BroBear1 and not my original account, I hate to say it, but that borders on the absurd. brobear has been killed and dRD along with the staff were the executioners. ;) I'm the same person. This membership and status thing has gotten ridiculous. I can stay if I don't mind being a newbie with another nickname. The status is not why I will no longer remain on AD. It's all about the silly games that were forced on me and the willingness of the staff to play along.

Most of the moderators I've never come in contact with and only a couple of the staff members on rare occasions. How I managed disrespect without contact or posting against the staff eludes me. By disagreeing and being willing to discuss information I've obviously alienated some members. I feel sorry for those here who will now need to be careful not to say something when others make an error in the info they posted or are just coming out with a totally erroneous theory. [bold]It looks like my worst offense has been damaging egos of those who take themselves way too seriously.[/bold] Guess you may be right, I don't play well with everyone, but I didn't realize that was the criteria for maintaining membership.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006
  7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Don't be coy. Most folks here don't know even a fraction of what's gone on for such a long time and you're taking every advantage of that fact.

8. BroBear1

BroBear1 Guest

Nephilim
    I'm not being coy. I realize you are one of the moderators who wanted me banned and was openly suggesting the same. I'll not argue with you or disrespect your authority here. I will ask the question again, who did I disrespect and what were the circumstances? I'm not trying to hide anything. By the way, what did I ever do to you?

9. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yuck, this thread has gotten way off track. Whatever transpired in the past, let it go. This is supposed to be a P4vsAMD thread, not a soap opera. I have the utmost respect for BroBear, Sophocles, Doc, aabbccdd, 64026402, and the other main contributors to this thread. They have answered my noob queries repeatedly. Let's not see it get out of hand. Whatever beefs you guys have, this is not the forum to discuss them.

10. BroBear1

BroBear1 Guest

Granted, but the other regular participants of the thread wanted to know why brobear was banned. So did he. ;) It still appears no one wants to provide any concrete reason as to why the banning took place or the reasons behind it. So far the reasoning is that brobear bruised egos by posts disagreeing with content of information supplied or by disagreeing with and discussing questionable theories. Brobear is accused of not fawning to others and not playing well. Brobear didn't intentionally set out to be an over achiever where PCs and software are concerned. By helping others, it appears brobear dug his own grave and his "executioners" gladly put him there. It sounded as though brobear fought with all the moderators on staff instead of respecting most of them. In actuality, I doubt he had direct contact due to problems with more than five over the past couple of years. Plus the one incident where disrespect was shown was due to a flagrant attack by a moderator bearing a grudge. I believe brobear saved a copy of the posts involved in that incident, though they were removed from the forum by someone on staff.

11. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@brobear1,

Either way you will always be respected by many here on AD for your knowledge. I will ask that you continue to provide info if not anywhere else then this thread. I am not savvy at all in the pc building field and this entire thread has me scribbling and googling like crazy :). A good debate here would be chipsets what exactly is the pros and cons of support for intel vs AMD with the ever changing products on the market. Also please check your pm.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  12. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I couldn't agree more. Anyone who's contributed as much as brobear, I think deserves an answer, and it might help the rest of us learn something from it, as to what not to do/say, providing the answer is legit.

Best regards,

Rich

13. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Tokijin. This is one of aD's great discussion threads (from which I have learned a great deal).. so let's get it back on track.

14. ireland

ireland Active member

i agree,please if ye must discuss any more of the recent subject please take it here.and let this thread get back on track.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black,Do You Have A Bitch On Whats Going On Around The Site,....
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/322699

15. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

the best thing everyone can do is just let the whole thing go and move on with their lives. this was collective decision based on a month of talks. continuing this discussion only further adds to the reasons it happened in the first place. get over it, move on, have fun, be helpful.

16. BroBear1

BroBear1 Guest

The staff members are correct. It's time to get the thread back on track. There's nothing to be gained by hashing over the situation more. From what ketola said, brobear has been permanently banned for hurting some egos. Lethal B is right, this is one of the better discussion threads, no need to close it due going off topic.

matt72

Chipsets are interesting, but in the light of AMD vs Intel, the topic doesn't lend itself to a discussion of which is better. The board makers build the boards with chipsets to support a particular line of CPU(s). The options built into the boards are more interesting than the chipsets. One can discuss quality, but the ones used by the major board builders are usually higher quality with few complaints. Notice the major board builders build for both AMD and Intel systems.

The chipset is like the workhorse that has to be there to get the job done. Alone it doesn't appear to be outstanding, but for best performance, it has to work properly in conjunction with the CPU and RAM to achieve the best performance. When the chipset properly supports the CPU and RAM then the chipset has served it's function and the CPU can attain its performance potential. One thing to remember as I pointed out earlier, a chipset can support a particular CPU and a motherboard using the chipset may not properly support that CPU. The CPU with it's architecture and memory management are where the true performance is achieved. That's how AMD took the overall lead over Intel for the time being. But to appreciate the best performance a person needs a balanced system; CPU, RAM, mobo, and chipset (each balanced to the systems needs). Someone mentioned it earlier, a lot of what's involved in building good PCs, Intel or AMD, is in having a balanced system where the components all work together. Too bad people can't do the same, with that I leave my friends here at AD.

17. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

So you guys ban the most prolific/contributor to this thread? I have a feeling this thread will die alittle now, thanks.

My last say on the subject,

Rich

18. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@brobear,

Thanks as I wasn't sure how the chipset played. Basically looking at a few sites, reviews and losing my place on scribbled notes :) now comparing a few items i want to add. The issue I'm faced with now is do I start with a motherboard or processor? From there using this thread I can and research I am starting to visualize the setup I want. Looking at maybe a barebone tower with 3 cooling fans as overclocking is on the horizon and don't want to overheat a new machine.

Brobear I ask again ( I'm sure most of us in this particular thread)that you take some time to reconsider your stance on leaving. Kind of vacation, then make your decsion.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  19. billybob

billybob Regular member

DON'T GO

Thats all im saying. If it counts for anything i really want you here. We havent spoke much but i dont want you to go. Im one person who appreciates your presence....for what its worth. Just dont go

20. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

***edit***removed***

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.