1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

theonejrs
    On the monitor... Besides a horizontal and vertical control that expands or contracts the screen on opposite sides, there are adjustments on my system that center the screen image both horizontally and vertically. I have a newer Dell and the controls are the OSD button and a - and + button to its left instead of the rotary dial. Brightness and Contrast were moved to the OSD menu on this one. Basically the same type setup, only th - and + buttons replace the rotary dial function. I can disapper a part of the screen similar to what you're saying. Strange though that all the monitors would do the same. Though sometimes lacking, Dell support is still there. I had better luck online than the phone back when I used to ask them something. It still sounds as though you've just got the display or displays off center.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2005
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

I new that you would eventually find the answer but it took you a while. I use this scenario to teach kids about prejudice.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    I saw it as soon as I looked at it. I've just not been on AD this evening. It's like seeing ambulance the way it's written on the front of one, only it's meant to be viewed in a mirror. I'm one of the lucky people whose brain (sometimes) works in 3D. I'm often able to visualize images (including words) in different orientations.

Note: I said sometimes, you don't have to work at finding something that will fool me.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

So what you're sayihg is that you're dyslexic? LOL

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

theonejrs
    Have you tried using your monitor controls to make the screen image smaller, so you see black around all the sides of the monitor, and then move the image to center. As I said, I can hide a side of the screen, or 2, and bring them back in. I learned that maxxing out the screen sizes, when I've made some different changes with hardware and software. You may have a software setting, but it still sounds more like a monitor adjustment. I've never seen the display system malfunction along those lines.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

No, I first see things in the orientation presented. Then I'm able to visualize them in different spatial orientations if something appears outside the norm. Using Nacirema and asking a question automatically had me focus on the word and when I did, I saw the reversal almost instantly. It doesn't always happen that way, just sometimes, but more often than not. Besides, one often practices this particular talent with word puzzles where the orientation is skewed. The more difficult problems are with geometric designs where the orientation is changed and then you're asked to identify the original from a group of similar figures. I've seen those type questions used in such things as IQ or intelligence tests to try to ascertain how an individual views his/her surroundings.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Gentlemen,

I've tried everything! My monitor has a variety of controls including automatic. I've tried all the manual settings as well, even the scan rate It appears to be only the one size window a little smaller than a postcard. I've tried all of the screen resolutins available to me up to 1600x1200. Same thing. It only seems to do this with spybot when a registry change is called for. I know which one to click in spite of not being able to see the text. Maybe I'll try a screen shot of it and post it.

theonejrs

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

I must have missed your problem with your monitor, what is it.

brobear

Here's one for you and all of you old guys and even some of us younger guys should know this one.

What does VHS (as in video recorders) stand for? It was changed a few years ago to make it more acceptable for the technologically challenged.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]V[/bold]irtual [bold]H[/bold]igh [bold]S[/bold]chool, [bold]V[/bold]isually [bold]H[/bold]orrible [bold]S[/bold]creens, [bold]V[/bold]ideo [bold]H[/bold]ome [bold]S[/bold]ystem, wonder what it could be?

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BroBear,

By the way VHS stands for Vertical Helical Scan!

My first Video recorder was in the late fifties, early sixties. It was a Sony U-Matic which was VHS, used 3/4" tape on reels. It was larger than a pullman suitcase, Heavy as hell and only played in black and white. Beta was the world wide format, even after VHS was invented. It was the video recorder prefered everywhere but the U.S. VHS became King here! There are several technical reasons why the Beta format was superior. Most of which to do with the design and size of the head. It was Beta's Achilles Heel. They thought of everything except allowing room for a big enough cassette. With the placement of the heads and the cassette size fixed the cassette was somewhat limited in capacity. Because none of this could be changed without obsoleteing millions of Betamaxes Sony plundered on. Thinner tape helped but you couldn't get 6 hours max out of it no matter what. VHS, pioneered by JVC with it's 2 hour and 6 hour (SP 4 hr has never been approved by JVC) tapes could record 1/2 hr or 1 hr programs, anything up to 6 hours worth. My first VHS machine was JVCs first commercial video recorder Mod. HR3700. 31.7 Lbs, about the size of an overnight bag and tracked like a drunken sailor on the slow speed as it got near the end of the tape.

Don't even own one anymore!

theonejrs

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think this thread should be renamed the nostalgia thread. The reason why I haven't been saying much about any of these reminiscences is because I'm only 17 and although I can guess at what, for example VCRs would have been like in the 60s, I wasn't living in the time when that was the latest technology.

We've had nostalgia about PCs, Cars, GPUs, and now VCRs. What next?

To be honest, I don't care much about the FX5200 business, but the people who know most, and therefore possibly care most, would note that each FX series GPU had a different picture, so if they were to think it through hard, they'd work out that the cat is a 5200. But since that's incredibly sad and tedious, no one will - you're safe.
    Besides, a sig isn't just for bragging, it's also to give off useful information, so if you have a problem, other people can mor eeasily help you. I didn't mind putting my 256MB Radeon 9200 AGP in my sig a year and a bit ago, so really there isn't a problem with it.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

Vertical Helical Scan is correct. That's the way the head drum writes to the tape. In most tape recording systems the tape is moved over the heads and the speed at which this is doen is referred to as its writing speed. VCR's require a very high writing speed because video operates on a much higher frequency than audio does. The problem to be solved was how to obtain the high writing speed without buiiding tape reals tha size of tractor tires. The solution was to move the tape slowly while having the recording heads spin across the width of the tape in a vertical helical motion (scan).

sammorris

VCR's didn't hit the market until the late 1970's.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

tehonirs

svchost.exe is a file that is being attacked by viruses. It's an important Windows file that does a lot of things. Spybot probably picked it up trying to access the internet. Do you have a virus scan on your system? Run a virus scan and then do a system restore.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ok, but that post kind of proves my point.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

E. Nygma again. LOL And what was the point? Missed it again. By the way, I was around back when the Betamax and VHS shootout was going on. We had both types of equipment where I worked at the time. A lot more bulky than what we have now, though some of it was special editing equipment. How about those big movie discs they used to have? Wonder if they've all rotted away? Haven't seen one in years. Sure can't rent one that I know of. Over 17 years on that technology. LOL

By the way, on the problem you are having, I thought you were referring to the overall image on the display. What you have there is an undersized window opened by an app. Hopefully Soph's solution will cure your problem. That one definitely doesn't have anything to do with the monitor adjustments. Now if you start using those img tags like we showed you, we can see the captures and other pictures without having to open links. Between the Browse and Host selections at Imageshack is an option to size images as well for websites. The various selections are in the dropdown bar. You may find it handier than having to do the work yourself. With the servers AD has, they don't mind us using a bit of space.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2005
  17. 64026402

64026402 Active member

It looks like your font size has increased. It can have this effect on some windows. Check to make sure your using the default font size for windows.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I could be wrong but I really think that theonejrs is dealing with a virus. I don't know if he's using Win2K or XP but it needs to be dealt with. Theonejrs if you don't have a virus scan then go here and download the free version of avg, update it and run a scan.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/24/lng/us/tpl/v5

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I dealt with a similar problem on my sons PC that's running Win2k. And you guys will recall that back in September our entire school with win2k and xp was infected, Win 98 is not affected by this. The recently affected machines could be cleaned but many had to be reformated. Do a google search and you'll see both sstray.exe and svhchost.exe connected to many a virus attack.

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/svchost/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.