1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I did a virus scan and a spyware scan. I also did a system restore. Still the same glitch. I don't call it a problem because everything works fine except for that window. The original Sony Umatic was put on the market in 1964. I saw it in a demo in N.J. in late 63. Here's a pic! Bought the beast for around $5200 (I think)!

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/2420/sony8mc.jpg

sammorris,
    As I said before, I only put the pic in my sig because I thought it was a neat pic and computer related. I had no idea that it would cause such a stir. I just liked the pic and I thought that it would give me a forum identity like BroBear and others. I'm not promoting or advertising anything. When I buy the 7800GTX cards for my new machine and if I like the pic on it's package, I may change my sig to that! By the way, the pics on the packaging are all different for each manufacturer. It only identifies their version of the product, not the product line.
    Nostalgia can be very interesting, especially in anything to do with electronics. These are the roots of where the super whoopie computers we have today came from. Any one with a problem posted at that time in this forum was answered promptly. No one was neglected or ignored because of our trip down memory lane It was just a time where things were slow. In order to have answers, there have to be questions posted!

Have a nice day,
    theonejrs

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah when I spoke about those box designs I was referring to the XFX line, I should have made that more clear.

The only reason i found it odd was that the rest of your system looks very good, and the only weak link is the 5200.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

As far as I know the Sony umatic didn't hit the market until 1973 and they weren't generally used as a consummer product, they were largely used to for audio master tapes, I know because I was a salesman at the time and sold the first consummer products. The oldest and orginal VTR was actually made by Ampeg of America, in the 1950's but it used huge reels and didn't use helical scan and as a result had to spin at an incredibly high speed. The first beta machines were built on the umatic and they too were limited to 60 minutes of recording and they were the first consummer VTR's.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BroBear,
    I don't know what is happening with my sig. I haven't changed anything but the pic seems to just come and go. I checked the thing in my account and everything is the same. I don't know why it isn't working properly The one on hounds works just fine but it is the old pic. Can someone in the forum mess with my sig?

Sophocles,
    The Umatic was not available to the general public as a consumer item in 64. It was strictly commercial. First it was far to expensive and could only be considered portable by virtue of the fact that it had a handle. It's market at that time was TV stations as black and white prevailed back then. All of the slo-mo of the Kennedy Assination was done on Sony Umatic equipment. That's why most of the news coverage was B & W. They taped it and re-broadcast it from the tape. No waiting for film as it was as instant as a rewind! Many of the TV shows of that era were taped a few hours in advance and then broadcast from the tape. I had a friend who worked for NBC in N.Y.C. and he used to bring me tapes all of the time. Interestingly, they still filmed the whole thing with a kinescope so that they would have a hard back-up copy in case of emergency and for archiving. How far we have come! Just a footnote. using a helical scan also gave them the ability to effectivly give you the equivelent of 3/4" tape in scanned area. That's the reason for the tilted head. Sort of like mechanical compression!

theonejrs

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think there must be a problem with imageshack, because when I follow the URL location of the image it takes me back to the imageshack homepage.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm aware of the commercial use of VTR's going back to the 1960's but I was only initially referring to consummer based products. Before I got into building computers there was a whole line of things that I did first. In the 1960's I began building my own stereo equipment (the old dynaco kits). A little later I began playing music semi professionally (started my first band at 15)and then later professionally.

I used a fender and marshall tube amps that required some maintenance but they were fun and our keyboard player used a Wurlitzer organ which really had a part that spun and it also required maintenance. After almost 7 years on the road I decided to quit and I found my first real job and that was selling high-end audio and then later video equipment. This was about the same time that brobear began receiving social security. LOL

I remember when Dolby noise reduction was a separate component that one added to their system. I also remember when the first consummer based video recorders hit the market but because I was in the business about a year before they arrived.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

All,

Well I found the problem. Something changed the first img to IMG. I have no idea of how or why. When I signed on before it was working. When I finished a reply and posted it, it was no longer working. When I went to Image Shack the thumbnails are not there for any versions of this pic. It won't let me delete them either! Very strange!!!

theonejrs

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

All,

Image Shack just posted this message:
    "We are experiencing technical issues with "Registration" and "My Images" areas of the site
    We are working on resolving those issues, thank you for your patience."

I guess that answers my question!

theonejrs

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BroBear,

The first CDs were not CDs as we know them today. RCA along with Hitachi developed a video disk that worked on capacitive discharge, hence the name CD. It used a rather large round end stylus that was about 1/2" long mounted on a very long spaghetti sized sort of arm that read the capacitence changes on the disk. Worked pretty good too, with excellent picture and sound except for skipping problems. The disk was in a protective case about the size of a record album that slipped into rails in the player so no fingerprints got on the surface. RCA called it SelectaVision. The technical problems were essentially mechanical. If you ever saw one run with the cover off you could see why imediately. That long (about 4 - 5 inches) spaghetti arm wiggled all over the place. Both RCA and Hitachi eventually took them back and refunded my money!
    Pioneer & Magnovox (Philips) had a 10" laser disk. It also suffered from skipping. Funny story about it's introduction. It was on live TV and the Spokesperson was explaining that the disks were almost indestructable and banged it on the edge of a table. It broke in two!

theonejrs

10. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

How the hell are ya running ddr 2 theonejrs ?

I looked up ya board and so no where bout your board being able to support ddr2?:>

Besides aint ddr2 240 pin and your board take only 184 pin ddr1?

edit...im am right. Unless ya lying through ya teeth or made a boo boo

http://www.kingston.com/literature/MKF_586.3_DDR2.pdf

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ozzy214

I didn't even notice that, I'm sure it was an honest mistake but you're right it doesn't use DDR2. And of course neither do our AMD's but that doesn't seem to slow them down.

12. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The memory listed is correct, except the DDR2 part. Obviously a minor error that has no bearing on anything.

13. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Unless hes just trying to hype up his system...he.he

Im just getting even. I got picked on and now im striking back is all. Plus Im board as all hell right now. Hey is only intels support ddr2 right now till next year when amd comes out with the new chip?:>

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ozzy214

Yep intel only and just the new prescotts. Rumor has it that AMD has made the Venice, San Diego, Toledo, and Manchester cores capable of handling DDR2 but a lot of good it does if you can't plug them in. AMD's are just as fast using good old DDR which also costs less.

15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

DDR2 is kind of a dud so far. Like Dambus and Intel.
    As memory improves it may get better.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

With multi core CPU's on the horizon (four on a single die)memory and storage seems to be the next logical step for improvement. Rambus is very good and quite fast memory even by todays standards but it was way too expensive and sometimes buggy.

17. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Sophocles,
    I noticed your sig say 2.664 ghz, and of course you know the Asus A8N-SLI doesn't support 2.664ghz processors. [bold]LIAR![/bold]
    He He

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't know what you mean. LOL

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Ozzy214,

Brain Fart!!! Can't type!!! Tyyppo!!! Besides I don't own enough computer to do any bragging. I mean I have a lowley PCI video card for pete's sake! (I'm so ashamed!) Besides, what can you say about a guy that thinks a Dell Precision 420 workstation P3 1GHz was a great machine? (It was!)

Actually That's what that program PC Wizard said in the system summary. I really didn't care to much for that program as sometimes it just locked up. Just the program, not the computer. I personally think that PC Wizard has problems caused by some system settings. If I run the system summary stock at 3.0, it says I have PC3200, if I OC 10% it says PC2700 and lists the memory as DDR2. I know that the memory speed changes as you OC so maybe that's why. I Took the program out. Sandra works well so I'll stick with it.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I should have snapped to this when I saw the 2700 and DDR2 listed on the same line.

Sophocles,

I'm sorry I guess I never mentioned that I run Windows XP Professional 2002, SP-2. Computer Associates Anti Virus and Spybot. Usually I'm good to go. My Internet feed is off of a router so I have a hardware Firewall and Windows Firewall. I very rarely have Virus or spyware problems. Usually only if I do something stupid, like go to a site that I don't know is secure.
    I have a Acronis True Image 9.0 backup of my C drive so if something happens I can just restore XP and all my programs in about 15 mins. If the drive should fry, I can clone a new one from the backup!

theonejrs

20. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Did you check the Windows font. Have you ever changed the font for Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.