1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

Excuse my paranoia Donald. Since it followed my post, I thought you might have been referring to my comment. You can ask Sophocles what a nice discussion we had once due to such a misunderstanding. LOL Even Ozzy's ears might have turned red from some of the things we said. LOL Good point on leading edge technology being problematical at times.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I am well aware of the problems that Nvidia installation software had at one time. Things like locking up your computer if you took the disk out before the re-boot and other problems. Today it's basicly a 3 mouse click operation. I've been doing this for more than 20 years and the only problem I have with lack of experience is understanding how things in modern motherboards are set up. I got away from computers for about 5 years (lost interest and they were too damn expensive) and a lot has changed. We didn't have soft set-ups like they do today. Everything was jumpers and manual settings back then. Back then you bought a Pentium 133 or 166. If you were well off, you had 32MB of 80 pin EDO ram in it and a $300 monitor with a dot pitch so big you could throw your hat through the space. It usually cost over $1500. My present computer is 10 times the machine and cost me less than $500 to build (see my sig). some of my questions to this forum might seem dumb to a lot of you guys but I would rather ask seemingly dumb questions than stupidly blow up my computer. Thanks to a lot of nice people in this forum I've listened and learned. I now have the confidence to go in and tweek things in the BIOS settings without fear of blowing it up.
    I stand by what I said. 3 mouse clicks and you are done. Couldn't be simpler!

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Every time I click on reply I get a request for a password. Here's what I get. Any ideas???
    [​IMG]

theonejrs

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

Lets try this again. Image Shack has changed things! Sorry.
    [​IMG]

theonejrs

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I give up! I can't get it to display and I can't get it to open. How can something so simple be so damn hard?

theonejrs

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I give up! I can't get it to display and I can't get it to open. How can something so simple be so damn hard?

theonejrs

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

One last try. The Forum format has caps for both end imgs

[​IMG]

Crossing fingers!

theonejrs

8. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Now you're getting there. Those tags have to be done the way they were shown in the instructions.

The problem seems isolated to this thread. Looks like someone hacked AD or someone messed up.

Here's what it looks like on my PC. It's the same popup, the difference is due to the software we use.

[​IMG]

Our friendly neighborhood mod, Nephilim, said he'd check on our annoying popup.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BroBear,
    Yea, I use Netscape 7.2. What browser do you use? The reason I had a problem geting the graphic to display is that Image Shack just changed all their codes. The one used to display for forums has the bracketed img and /img in caps. Once I changed the to lower case, it worked fine.

Speaking of browsers. Does anyone here use Netscape 8.0. I tried it and I like it but when you go through e-mail to read a thread, the scrool bar on the right is not visible. There is also no scrool bar on the bottom to move it over.

I think the window from Spybot is related to something in the Spybot software as my neighbor's Dell does the same thing. Of course with him, you never know. He does some pretty dumb things with his computer. I mean he used to un-install programs by deleting the programs folder. when he needs disk space he just starts dumping things. I finally got mad and told him if he isn't going to listen to the advice he asks for and blows it up again, it's going to be $50 to fix it. Now he's a bit more careful!

theonejrs

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, the results are in! I just changed my Video card to the5200 AGP. Here are the benchmarks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

theonejrs

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed with the latter opinions on the ATi/nVidia debate, and I am certainly fine with nVidia's stuff. It's just the products I went with are ATi, and that is that.

As for those specs theonejrs, they're interesting. Some things have dramtically improved and others have dropped. Peculiar.

I am also getting that tripod popup in Firefox.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I think the differences in what has dropped in the benchmarks reflect concessions that are made to allow the PCI card to perform as well as it does. They are not needed in the AGP because other areas perfom so much better. In other words, they rob from Peter to pay Paul.

theonejrs

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

Thanks for the 3DMark 5.0 link. I just ran the one in PC wizard for refrence. I just wanted to see the difference between the PCI and AGP since they were both 5200s. When I get my dual 7800 DLXs and my future system, I'll download it. It's a huge file and I don't want to tie up my machine for an hour right now. Was I correct in my assumption that some of the numbers are lower with the AGP because of concessions made to augment the PCIs performance that aren't needed with the faster AGP?

By the by, I have checked with several people I know that use Spybot and they all report the same window problem. All of them thought that there was something wrong with their video or had a virus and were relieved to know that at least 25 other people we know have the same problem. It's not really a problem, it's just a minor glitch!

Oh Yeah, Ozzy! I've heard of BLANKing computers before but can it really do that??? ( Had to keep it clean because of the kiddies!!!) Stick with the wife to be! I'm sure she has better componants!

theonejrs

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well I'm glad that someone fixed the little glitch in the reply section. No more pop-up to Tripod! Has the forum been down? I haven't seen any thing new since before my last post.

Sophocles,
    I downloaded 3-D Mark today while I was out. I ran it and the results are not very good. Far too embarassing to post. That's some program! The graphics are pretty amazing. Looked good though!

theonejrs

17. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

I got 5228 for my score....how bout yours theonejrs?

I will post the link soon. This is with nothing oc except the gpu to 403 and 1.07 memory. Not to shabby for pc2700 memory either.

And would ya think that the ati I had only had 2500...hmm..lol!:>

18. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ozzy214

3dmark 05 scores a lot harder than 3dmark 03 but throw a little liquid nitrogen at it and you can get some great scores. I have no doubt that the new 7800GTX is faster than my card. When my card came out it was competing against the 6800 which it beat. My card also cost only about half as much as the 7800GTX but when they come down in price in a few months I'll buy a couple for SLI.

20. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Actually compared to others my score sucks. Hmm....the only weak link I can think of is the memory.....

Nah I was trying a ati bout again..lol. I came across that thread and found it quite interesting. My 3dmark scores definetly suck compared to others on the orb. Maybe its cause Im not using their approved drivers or something else. Hmm..this sucks and I thought I had this system fine tuned...ah shit..lol.

Time to go buy some ram I guess after xmas..:>

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.