1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To Ozzy214 & Sophocles,
    Ozzy.
    First off, I have no idea what the scores were. One look at the fps and I quit. I don't even know if I actually finished the test or not. With my present video card it takes quite a few mins to run.

Sophocles,

I cut back the OC to 3.40 because as I was encoding this afternoon, I clicked on AsusProbe and discovered that the CPU temp was about 67-68C. The minute that the encoding ended, it dropped like a rock to 55C Ambient temp was 74F. Now it hits 58C max. I can live with that. When our AC unit went poof in early August, I was seeing 68C pretty much all the time at 3.0 with an ambient of 95F+ so I think I'll be all right at 58C max!

As far as the 3D mark benchmark records, I look at them as a lab exersize under labratory conditions. This is not something you can build and use as it wouldn't be practical. First off what do you do when you shut it off and the ice melts? I think what these tests show that when superconductors are better developed and refined to the point that very little heat is generated in the first place we will see much faster and less power consuming CPUs and GPUs. If you don't generate the heat in the first place, then you don't have to worry about removing it.

One of the things I don't understand about computer design is that they have lowered CPU voltages which should, following the rules of electricity increase the wattage which should generate more heat. As you half the voltage you double the wattage unless they have repealed Ohm's Law! I think we will see 10GHz or higher CPUs in less than ten years with THz chips out there on the horizon. I think that development and refinment of superconductors and the ability to manufacture them cheaply will play a large part in the future development of computers. We know that super cooling works! Look at a Cray and it's cooling system, which is way colder than the temps went in the 3D mark tests. I'm not sure but I seem to remember that they use liquid nitrogen to cool it which boils at well below -200 degrees (I used to know exactly but just don't remember). I know it's colder than CO2 which boils at -219F. -231F comes to mind but I'm not sure and too lazy to go look it up!

None of this super cooling stuff is practical in the real world as it would be inherently dangerous to anybody foolish enough to put their fingers in the wrong place and doublely dangerous for someone (like a small child) that didn't know better! The need is to eliminate the heat in the first place!

theonejrs

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely, and with 90nm we've made a start, 65nm to follow soon, the heat is slowly being reduced. AMD's tack of keeping lower core speeds and bumping up the power of the processor is helpful. Oh and another reason why i prefer AMD is that they actually give you a guide (albeit a rough one) to how much faster their processors are than each other. Since intel CPUs can no longer be measured by this process, the only way to find out how fast they are is to look at online benchmarks, not very helpful for the person who knows less than all about computers.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I'm with you on the AMD. The only reason I don't have one now is that I bought this CPU as a motherboard combo from Fry's for $189 (USD). The MB was junk so Fry's took it back and issued a credit of $44. That made the CPU a bargain at $145.. What I've learned from this experience is that my next computer will be have an AMD CPU. I'm tired of the fan noise. I have 6 fans total and the case stays at 30 to 33C. I had to cut my OCing back from 3.50 to 3.40 because the temps were getting too high when I encode DVDs.

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

4. Triock

Triock Guest

Sorry, But ps3 or 360 i think they are each better in different ways but i want yalls opinion!!!

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To Triock,

Where in the world did you come from? I went back and looked. This is your first post since the 8th! That's 9 days! I don't mean to be rude but could you please give me a clue as to what the hell your post is about. I went back and read every post in this Forum after your last one and I can't find any reference to PS3 or 360. Of course if it's because of a private message then I understand. If so, I'll keep that in mind so I don't cause confusion for others. I mean, I read your post and went HUH!!!???.
    Since you were last here, we have had a number of discussions on Careers, Automotive Fuel Injection, electronics and Video-tape recorders. A few people complained that we weren't discussing the topic of this forum. As you can see there isn't much going on right now. At least the sojourns into nostalgia were a lot of fun!

Sincerely,

theonejrs

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Triock

If you want to know which is better, the Playstation 3 or the Xbox 360 then you need to go to a console gaming thread.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

re:Triock

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I know nothing about game machines so the terminology didn't strike home. I guess what I missed is the boat!

theonejrs

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Your problems are intel in a nutshell, theonejrs, Intel CPu's run hotter stock, so if they're overclocked, they get very hot, and therefore need lots of fast (i.e. loud) fans to keep them cool and stable.

9. Triock

Triock Guest

Sorry, That is my bad.. No i was not talking privatly.. But i like yall better that all of the a..holes out their thinking they know stuff about the new systems.. Personal i look up to you guys.. i read the posts but i have just been laying back and reading.. School is kicking my a.. and i have just been out of it.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Triock

They're both pretty good so I think it's going to boil down to which one makes the games that you like the best. PS3 might have an edge if blu-ray discs catch on otherwise one might get caught up in a propietary format war.

Theonejrs

sammorris is right about the Intel heat problem. Intel has spend very little time in improving their CPU designs, they expected to get away with shinking the die size and upping the clock multiplier and then hammering it with voltage. AMD took a different approach and at this time they have the superior design.

11. Triock

Triock Guest

I agree.. BTW. I promise to start messaging yall back...

Thanks,
    Triock

12. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I'm easily entertained by simple video games. The newest and the best games hold little fascination for me just yet.
    I like the old Xbox for all the mods and capabilities but the new Box isn't supposed to be as suitable for such things.

13. matt5112

matt5112 Member

one of the best mod chip developers had their hands on three xbox360s months ago so the first mod chip should arrive shortly after 360 launches. but it will most likly not be able to connect to xbox live

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Well folks! I'm not a console game player they just don't have the eye candy that a PC game does. My son has every console game ever made except for the new playstation and xbox. And old timers don't even start me on the early atari and coleco vision games. I remember staying up all night long with my wife as we played an early 1982 Nintendo game on coleco vision that featured for the first time Donkey Kong and Mario.

But that was then and this is now. Before posting this I just finished starting Dungeon Siege II and I think that I'm going to like it. I enjoy real time action RPG games (I hate turn base)with a hint of strategy. That's why I build my machines with enough power to play them. I've outgrown console games but if you haven't seen the beauty of playing a PC game on a 22" high resolution monitor with a fast card then you don't know what you're missing.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely. Consoles are cheaper for a reason.

16. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Most people I know of have the Xbox for their kids.
    Any serious gaming needs a lot more machine. They can't give 2000 dollars of hardware away in a PS3 or Xbox.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Exactly. 1600x1200 with full anti-aliasing can't compare to 800x480 without any, and in any case, how many buttons are there on a keyboard and how many on a controller pad?

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! 1600 by 1200 are my settings exactly and that's even higher than a High Definition TV. My game settings are a little lower however ususally 1280 by 1024 or 1024 by 768 depending on what the game allows for. And that brings me back to my ATI card which has no problem meeting high quality settings on the games that I'm playing or have played and the card came bundled with full versions of Splinter Cell "Pandora Tomorrow" and Prince of Persia "sands of Time."

Sammorris that's 640 by 480 and 800 by 600 but close enough. LOL

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, I was on about a widescreen standard TV. 16:9 at something by 480 is near enough 800.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'll buy it if it's an estimate.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.