1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

I have ny own game solution! I have a Colecovision Emulator program for my puter and all the game roms. I too was a Colecovision Addict. I also had the Atari 2600 module and a device that plugged into it that you downloaded games with a cassette tape. I think it was called a Supercharger and I had a game called Phaser Patrol that I was addicted to. No Scores, just rankings. It was a blast to play. I wish I could find that game! I also had an Adam computer with 2 tape drives and a floppy. That's what I miss with todays games, the fun! Neighbor's 23 year old son showed me a game the other night where all you seem to do is shoot cops and beat up women. Told the neighbor that if my 23 year old son ever brought something like that in my house, I would kick 100% 0f his A--!

theonejrs

2. Triock

Triock Guest

HEY,HEY,HEY.... Dont be dogging the consoles.. The people that dont have as much money as you get this stuff.. I dont like all the buttons.. And i enjoy not having to log a computer to LAN parties... I like it because it is worth it.. And because it is a good alternative to paying 2,000 for a kick a.. computer.. OOO and BTW would it not be cool if consoles could have 2 connectiors to the tv. that way the screenwatcher to your left cant watch you!!!
    HA,HA,HA...
    Thanks,
    Triock

3. 64026402

64026402 Active member

We aren't dogging consoles. They are good if its what you can afford.
    Lots of bang for 300 dollars. But not serious gaming. You just can't put a $400 or $800 video card setup in a $300 dollar mini computer.
    Even microsoft won't give that much away.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I never said they were good, I'm a fan of consoles, and they're far better for multiplayer gaming (split-screen obviously), but you can't immerse yourself in a console game quite as well as for a PC game (although PSX Doom doesn't apply to that statement!)

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sorry sammoris but wrong the limits of how many people can play at once on a computer isn't known. On consoles they are measured by the number of connections made to a unit.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Alright, the term 'multiplayer gaming' wasn't the best one i could have chosen, and an IMO would have gone down well in there too, but you can far more easily have games with your mates at your place with a console (unless you have 4 LAN connected PCs in your house, in which case you're rich and therefore you don't count).

7. Triock

Triock Guest

Hi, how long is it going to take me to get out of this nood state???

Thanks,
    Triock

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

Actually just one PC and a good Internet connection and you can play a buddy or several buddies online at once if the game allows for it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

It is the ease of multiplayer that makes PC a better choice. A lan party just requires one computer per person so cost is not realy a problem. Assuming your buddies have computers.
    If you just mean old style multiplayer with no internet or lan then a low performance one console setup would work but I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So be it. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. There's just a far better atmosphere (again, IMO) when there are a few people round your house enjoying the action together than a soul-less internet match.

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Its just a matter of hardware. A little console by definition doesn't have much processing power so graphics and AI for 4 people is limited.
    Thats not to say it isn't fun. I have played them before. And with kids your risking less hardware breakage. I just outgrew the console myself.
    If I actually have time for adult freinds in person then it is usually a football game on TV or at the stadium. Maybe a cookout or the ocassional night out.
    But the internet doesn't require my freinds leave their kids or spouse or use gas and drive 30 miles. Just hop on to the Nascar track and race for a bit with people you know.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  12. brobear

brobear Guest

LAN parties are becoming more popular. There all you need is the LAN setup at someone's abode. That and some desktop PCs set up for portability or a good laptop. With the new flat monitors, a person can transport one of the newer space saver desktops with ease. In fact, some gamers are already building custom game PCs with portability in mind. There you can smell the BO as you make your buddies sweat. LOL

Here's a shot of a gamer off to a LAN party with his portable desktop. You can set up a table in the garage and play if the "boss" doesn't allow a mess in the house. ;)

[​IMG]

And no, that isn't me, just a screen capture. To be that young again...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2005
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Admittedly it's difficult to realise your point of view, being only 17 years of age. I do admit that online games are a helluva lot less costly, but there's no substitute for seeing your friends laugh, cry, curse or swear when you're playing them in a game, even if it means poorer graphics and more limited gameplay. For people who only have a postage stamp of a house that they have to share with their parents, such as myself, a 2-player Console game is about as good as it gets.

14. fcoba85

fcoba85 Member

I have an AMD ATHLON 3200+ SOCKET 754. 1600 MHZ FSB. Where does that rank around INTEL P4?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

An Athlon64 3200+ 754 will probably rank around the range of a P4 3200 (Northwood), maybe a natz lower in the Prescott Range. It's a relatively fast CPU though, better than all budget CPUs, at present.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Interesting as the 1GHz frontside bus was the fastest setup just recently. That 1.6 must really be something. ;)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah i thought that, but didn't say anything in case I'm wrong. But that 1000mhz figure is double with some CPUs isn't it?
    I have seen "2000mhz Hyper transport bus" on some chips, and besides he must have got that fact from somewhere.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Lan parties are just one way of playing in multiplayer environment. For instance if I wanted to start a multiplayer Diablo game online then all I have to do is get a few members who have the game and then host it myself. Then all I have to do is send the other players the URL and passwords for them to get in and that's it. The benefit of a Lan party the not being limited by Internet speeds which can in some games improve the response time.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah. Anyway how come we managed to be discussing consoles in the most PC-only thread I know of?

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

Because we're the masters of the off topic discussions. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.