1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear/6402 (sorry about the budget thing) I hear you loud and clear.

For everyone else.

Yes my system has a 2000 mhz frontside bus which is 1000 MHZ times two channels. My chip is running at 2.64 Ghz and its Sisoft PR rating is 3.96 ghz. It's memory settings are CAS2 3-3-3-6, with a 241 MHZ frontside bus and a command rate at 1T.

Regarding HD, yes my montior has a higher difinition than a HD TV does. BTW, the number of useable Pixels is the standard for HD reproduction everything else is introduction. My monitor can reproduce any signal quality in existence and so can my PC's other hardware parts. If HD TV could match my monitor in reproduction the price would go up but they can't.

2. matt5112

matt5112 Member

Sophocles

that doesnt matter at all. the blu ray discs use the same keys as standard dvds with one major difference the key changes every 6 kb of data... this makes it extreamly hard to decod. its great that they are finally realizing 480P isnt a high enough resolution for HD tvs and computer moniters but all this encryption and forcing of hardware upgrades will leave alot of lower buget computer users behind

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  3. Triock

Triock Guest

HA HA HA... Score... I just scored a 2.0 athlon xp with a gig og kingston ram and a 120 gig hd, and a 256 mg video card.. Not including x-mas... I need a case... This is a t2892 ... Got any ideas?

My dad will overclock it too, but i will probably need a better heatsink.. Again, got any ideas.. And yes sony overdid the blu-ray...

4. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

AMD of course kicks ass compared to Intel but its all about system architecture, many programs are based on intel framework and under minimal occasions may not work on AMD...

PS:
    Triock don't overclock if it isn't necessary, by the sounds of what you have you don't need to overclock so why take the risk of messing up your hardware...
    your computer already beats mine hands down but mine works fine with XP and lotsa other programs installed and huge games so its up to you...

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

matt5112

I have an off air HD tuner in my PC and it's genuine 1080P HD when the signal is there.

Blu-Ray is unavailable except for perhaps in a PS3, and I wasn't disucssing DVD Roms we were discussing PC monitor capabilities of which most surpass HD standards.

In regards to overclocking, nonsense any CPU of the same core has the same potential the only difference is the clock multiplier.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  6. tophawk

tophawk Member

Sophocles
    I think you must be right - I thought there was only one standard for SATA
    Is there somewhere in the A8N-SLI Premium users guide that will walk me thro setting up the other controller? (Didn't know that I had two!!)
    (I hope to upgrade to Newbie status in a few years)
    My shiny new Hitachi 500s are working great (without any setup) and I am worried about losing them but want my 300 Maxtor installed also.
    Thanks

PS Here is the spec that I finally bought after your help last month
    A8N-SLI P
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Core 64
    CorsairĀ® 2048MB (2 x 1GB)

7. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I haven't heard that whopper for a while.
    I have been with PCs from the beginning. This has never been the case. Any well written program will work on either. Software bugs show up on both.
    Intels Hyperthreading can give some programs fits just as any changes in design can. It is just a matter of good programing. Garbage in, garbage out.:)

(I seem to remeber a math bug that Intel had with the Pentium that AMD did not have)

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Triok,
    There is nothing wrong with an Athlon XP but it is old hardware.
    Athlon 64s do twice the work for the same speed. Sometimes much more than twice.
    Entry level is about 100 dollars for a proc. $152 for a 2.0 ghz Venice core. It isn't that much more than an XP.
    I do understand if your budget is very tight it might not be possible.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Phantom69

And you win todays malarkey award. Some applications may or may not work with hyperthreading but that's about it. Softwares aren't written with the CPU in mind unless its multi threaded for dual core or dual CPU systems, they're written to be compatible with the operating system. IE Windows or Linux.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks for pointing out the software myth there Donald and Sophocles. I was afraid to let myself go out on that one. LOL

Sophocles, there's a good article on the upcoming high def technology. It has nothing to do with your PC's current abilities. A lot of high tech, top of the line equipment is going to get left being unable to use the bluray and/or hddvd technology. It's just the way the industry is setting up. Here's an article I read by Scott Spanbauer and the definitions of some of the new technology they've devised to afflict us with.

[​IMG]

The author of this article explains it better than some lengthier articles I've read on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2005
  11. matt5112

matt5112 Member

All

that is too much... forcing people to buy new moniters..

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    From the sound of it, you may have to buy a new monitor if yours doesn't support HDCP and few do. Your computer may be capable of handling the new Vista, unless there's more surprises to be unearthed. And as pointed out, XP won't support HDCP, so keeping that OS is out for use with the new technology.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

matt5112
    I suspect there will be more to it than just monitors. And the new Vista OS isn't going to be free either. It will eventually be shipped on PCs, but that doesn't help the ones running XP that will need to be upgraded. So, right off the bat most people will have to have a new monitor and a drive to play the media and a burner if it's a recordable format. And thinking of media, with the cost of DL, I'm afraid to think about the cost of bluray recordable media. On top of that, the way the OS goes along with the movie industry on this setup, what will it take to backup a high definition DVD. We live in interesting times. ;)

14. matt5112

matt5112 Member

True enough. but what about HD DVD? will it have similar anti-piracy features?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I'm not one to condone illegal activity on a message board, but damn I'm finding a way round that!!!!

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Nice read brobear

I mentioned a few post back that one of the reasons that I'm not considering Vista is because of its new scrambling system. Blu-Ray is fighting an uphill battle against HD-DVD which will become the final standard. That being said, neither Windows XP nor Linux will be affected by the content scrambling system that will affect Vista. I'm capable of High Definition right now, all I have to do is turn on my HD TV tuner and when HD-DVD is availble I'll be able to play high definition movies on my PC. If they try to update windows to the scrambling system, someone will figure out a way to neutralize it.

The days of backing up DVDs are truly in trouble with the new HD-DVD format but fortunately standard DVD will still be around for quite a while after its introduced. I also think that AnyDVD will overcome it somehow if they're to survive.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

sammorris
    You hope you can.

Sophocles,
    We all go along with the hope we'll be able to circumvent the system for windows. That's yet to be seen though.

matt5112
    Maybe I should have written that blu-ray/hddvd. The two are fighting for the market share much as the old vhs-beta conflict. Only in this case we haven't seen either yet. The protection technology is applicable to both.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Now let's connect the dots. It takes HDCP to support playing blu-ray and/or hd dvd. XP won't support HDCP(unless some smart entreprenuer figures it out), so XP won't play the new high definition movies. That leaves Vista in the windows realm. For Linux to play the new media, it likewise would have to support HDCP. Since HDCP is tied to the movie industry, they're not going to make it available for free so the code can be pirated. That's why they're going in house with Microsoft. Even if XP and Linux can be setup to support HDCP, the monitors will still have to support HDCP no matter the operating system or the system will blur or block the output. Since the playing hinges on the support of HDCP by the OS, we're all over a barrel until someone figures out how to make HDCP work on different operating systems and how to circumvent the system so it will allow monitors that don't support HDCP to play the output. I whole lotta crackin is gonna have to be goin on. I'm just wondering if it will be possible to just circumvent the entire HDCP system, or if the crack will incorporate parts of the HDCP setup. Or, can the movie industry really make this setup crack proof?

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

HDCP is a content scrambling system that requires a relationship between the operating system and the HD-DVDRW and it's true that HD-DVD moives are going to require descrambling. But I'm already getting high Definition and the problem isn't with my monitor its with the system. Remember the means to decript CSS was discovered by a 15 year old Danish boy. LOL

Here's my take:

1) The new system is supposed to be impossilbe to decrypt, but that can't be true because they're doing it or no one would be able to play an HD movie.

2)In order for decryption to work it has to have a relationship with input and output. In other words if the receiving end doesn't recognize the encryption then is it affected by it? Can the hardware HD DVD rom have its firmware reflashed to disable the encryption chip?

3)Home DVD players use hardware decoders, computer players/hardware use software decoders which emulates the hardware decoders. The point here is that aything that is coded to work through hardware can and will be emulated to work with software.

4)The price of HD-DVDRW will be high at first but even when its price comes down if no one is going to buy them then the hardware manufacturers are going to alter them in a way that allows hackers to disable them.

5)The current DVD format will be a slow phase out and will still be the method of choice 2 to 5 years from now. By the time it's phased out someone will have cracked the code.

6)People aren't going to throw away their DVRs, TiVo's, and HTPC systems and someone is going to want to fill that segement of the market. When no one is buying Windows Vista or HD-DVD equipment then Microsoft is goind to cave.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL As it stands, I have a lot of reruns to watch while I'm waiting. I'll be one of those later entries because I'm going to wait a long time to see how it plays out. I'm happy with the current technology and the movies are still being produced with the current technology in mind. With the disc movies in high definition being the target of the scrambling technology, many of us will have nothing to worry about for a while. Hope those youngsters start workilng on the HDCP as soon as it shows up. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.