1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kookoo76

kookoo76 Guest

Can someone help me?K im kinda new at this Computer stuff but.
    I got this crappy VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP Card. The games that run on my computer suck with this card. Since the VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP Card is intergrated into my motherboard. Would i be able to upgrade the card? Or would i just have to change the mother board of my computer and then buy a new card with it aswell?

Heres the second thing. I got an AMD 3000+ hp computer with 448mb of ram. On the system config, it sais that the clock speed is 2.1 ghz. That is equivalent to 3-3.2 ghz p4 computer right? Would it be the same for the 448mb of ram? With it actually being able to handle mre mb or somthing like that? On the task manager, on the performance, i'v seen it go to 338mb but then it was only at half the gage.

Would i be able to upgrade the ram to my computer if i have a intergrated motherboard thing?
    Tell me if i say anything wrong.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

kookoo76
    You're asking some of the right questions, but you may have to go to support for your particular system. Since your mobo has integrated graphics, you'd need to disable what is there, [bold]if possible[/bold]. If able to disable the onboard graphics, your board would then need an expansion slot for the new card. There you get specific to the mobo again, i.e. an AGP or PCI interface (board plugins). If you're able to move up to a graphics card, GeForce and Radeon are 2 of the leaders. You'll find them by different companies. I'd suggest trying the gaming section for comments on those and see what everyone thinks. Gaming is sometimes a world all its own.

We keep explaining those AMD numbers used in the name, they're comparable to the Intel processor speed of the comparable Intel processor. An AMD 3000 is comparable to a 3000MHz (3GHz) Intel processor, AMD 3200 = Intel 3.2GHz and so on. Recently the use of numbers in name designations has been changed a bit.

RAM and hard drives are two of the easiest upgrades on a PC. Most factory PCs don't install near the system's capacity. HP probably didn't give you the best memory, but it's probably decent. I have a Dell P4 system that started with 1 GB RAM and I'm thinking about upgrading to 2GB by adding 2 more 512 MB RAM cards. (Dell systems usually start at 256 to 512MB, mine was a custom order.) They just plug in and I have the additional slots. My system will handle up to 4Gb. You can use the free SiSoft Sandra Lite to analyze your system for the memory in use and what your system supports. Read up on the "how to". You can also go to HP support for some of this info. Unless you're doing something especially different, 1GB should be more than ample.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2005
  3. kookoo76

kookoo76 Guest

Wow, you sure know alote about computers. Thnx so much on the information.
    I still have like two questions=D
    1. Will the increase of ram also increase system performance? And how much would it be money wize to upgrade to 1gb or 2gb of ram.
    2.Will it be possible to upgrade my AMD Prosessor? From a 3000+ to a 3400+?
    And lastly, I didnt really get what you said about changing the V-card. I know i can disable the Via/s3.. from the controll pannel. So that would meen that there is another slot to put another v-card in my computer. Or would i have to actually open my computer and see if there is a slot?
    brobear thanx again for the information, it really ment alote.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

You said your current graphics were integrated. That means part of the mobo. To add a graphics card, you have to have a physical plugin on the board, either a PCI or AGP slot. You can do a visual check, but you have to know what you're looking at. You'll have to check on your particular board and that would be easiest through factory support, if they can or will help you. As I said, you can use SiSoft Sandra to do a bunch of checks on your board and system for upgrade info. Find it and learn how to use it. The Lite version is free. It does an analysis of your system and tells you what you have. The info is also handy when discussing upgrades and repairs.

Upgrading CPUs depends on the chipset and whether the mobo will support the new processor. There's more than just making sure it plugs in. Again Sandra can be helpful or manufacturer support. As far as upgrades of CPUs on a factory system; most often it isn't worthwhile as far as costs go. If you can make quite a difference with a new CPU, then think about it.

I already mentioned RAM is an easy upgrade and it helps the performance. Even today, 1GB is more than enough for most systems. I do a lot of video encoding is the only reason I'm considering more. At a certain point, you're just wasting your money. In your case, look at what you have, what the system will support, and what you want. Smaller RAM cards are less expensive. For instance 2 512MB RAM cards are cheaper than 1 1GB card. Since I doubt my system will ever be able to use more than 2GB, my cheapest out is 2 more 512MB cards (filling up the 4 RAM slots on my mobo). If I was going to try to max out the system with 4GB or RAM, I'd have to start thinking about those more expensive 1GB cards. If I was going the full route, it would be better to get the more expensive cards now than later and have to replace the 512MB cards.

BTW, you may want to talk to Donald and Sophocles. Around here, I'm usually considered the "village idiot" when it comes to PCs. LOL

5. dMerc

dMerc Member

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Might be handy, but with the newer architectures, you can't just use speed as the factor in comparison; especially since AMD and Intel are both going with dual core processors. Architecture is the key, not just blind processor speed.

7. dMerc

dMerc Member

I agree, but it is fun to look at.

I'm in the market now, still trying to figure out if I'm going to go mac or PC. It's hard for me because I'm an editor that uses Final Cut exclusively (spelling?) but I also LOVE gaming. Unfortunately they are exact opposites.

I am leaning towards mac's right now with their stability...I know that this could start a war but I work every day on a G5 that is never really maintained and has no problems, and my home machine is a strong P3 that I always maintain and I have soooo many wierd issues. It is forcing my credit card to pay for less hassle. Especially with the future of console gaming (I can play online and play the same games with an optimized system) I think that I can have gaming and FCP at the same time.

Please correct me if my plan is off somehow...before I pay a couple grand!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  8. kookoo76

kookoo76 Guest

Thanx brobear that helped. I understand how I can upgrade my G-card. Apperently i have one agp slot and one pci slot. DOnt correct me if im wrong, ill learn from my mistakes. lol.
    Thanx again.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

kookoo76
    I won't correct you, but getting the wrong card could cost a few dollars. With an AGP slot, that's probably the one for the graphics card. There's different PCI slots, so be sure which you're dealing with. Another thought is being sure which card you mobo will support. Check with the vendor before buying to make sure what you get is compatible with your setup, or be sure yourself. Some items aren't returnable and some have a very limited return policy.

dMerc
    Who are we to tell you what you want? As long as you have your reasons and done your reasearch, you should know what you'll be happy with. Final Cut requires the Mac G4 or G5. So if you have to use that app, you're backed into the corner there. A bunch of those editing apps have a high learning curve, so I wouldn't look forward to changing if I'd learned one well.

It might be a thought to have the Mac for the office and a new AMD gamer for the home. Currently the top AMD processors along with the dual GeGorce gpus are the gaming setup champ. Seems Radeon shot themselves in the foot on the dual gpu setup on their last try. Those are topend though. Then you get into mobos and which card they'll support. Not a worry unless you're doing the build. Most people settle for just one card. Look at the Alienware gamers. They're a good example of top end factory customs. I said look, not buy. LOL Looking at top end units can give an idea of what's out there, then we just have to pony up the bucks to pay for how high we want to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2005
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

kookoo76

A couple of minor points. Many boards that come with onboard video often don't have a free AGP slot and the onboard video is identified as an AGP slot. There are two types of AGP slots, a standard slot and a AGP pro slot. A standard card will fit in a pro slot but a pro card won't fit in a standard slot so it's important to know which if you're going to buy a pro card.

In regards to your CPU, it too has it's own socket type and that's important infromation that you'll need in order to upgrade your processor. If your machine is a year old then you probably have and Athlon 3000+ which is a 32 bit barton core which would mean that you have a socket A board. In order for you to ask anymore questions you're going to have to ID your motherboard and chipset.

11. Triock

Triock Guest

Haaa sophchels or however you spell it, I wes wondering how much it would coust to get a computer like your's.. Newegg is cheap, but i was looking at this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3942781 a wallmart i know but that is worth the money right???

Help would be appresiated.. And if yall can find somthing similar to that, u know making one from a wabsite.. I would be very thankfull! :) BTW: i have 630.00 to spend.. So you got any ideas???

12. kookoo76

kookoo76 Guest

Sophocles: HOw will i be able to figure out what motherboard i have? Do i use SiSoftware Sandra? On the program , i clicked main boards, and got this
    Manuafcturer ASUSTek Computer Inc.
    Mp support 1 prosessor(s)
    mps version 1.40
    model Kelut
    version 2.02
    system bios 07/26/2004-km400-8237*........
    Chipset via KT400/A,KT600

Then i went to AGP cardbus(es) info
    and there it sais i got an AGP BUS(es)
    and a PCI Bus(es)

Uhh yea, Did that informaiton help with the ID of my motherboard and chipset?
    And oo yea Chipset 1
    Model ASUSTek Computer INC KM400 cpu to pci bridge.
    front side bus 2x200mhz (400mhz data rate)
    total memory 512mb DDR SDRAM
    Shared memory 64mb
    Memory bus speed 2x200mhz (400mhz data rate)
    And my computer is a hp pavilion a700n model, 3000+amd processor and 448 mb of ram>
    Does the information above ID my motherboard so i can ask more questions?
    And with the information, does that meen i can have an agp slot or icp slot?

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Triock

It's not going to be a gamers system. They didn't give much info but I wouldn't buy it. If I get some time during christmas break I'll see if we can spec a good budget system.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

kookoo76

It helped a lot. Although dated you have a pretty decent board and it can be upgraded quite a bit. I think that it even has the right bios and room for overclocking. You should be able to get that 3000+ up to a 3200 plus without breaking a sweat which beats the almost $300 price tag to buy it. You also can use the best AGP card that you can afford. My advice is to keep the CPU, upgrade your memory which means replacing it all, and get a good 8X AGP card.

Your board is an Asus K400

15. kookoo76

kookoo76 Guest

Alright, thanx for the help. That made things alote more clearer for me. Your advise is very helpfull.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2005
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Triock,

I make a pretty good side living repairing computers so I see a lot of different ones. Although todays e-machines are better quality than in the past, I don't know that I would run right out and buy one. I definatly wouldn't buy one if I was looking for a game machine. As far as I am concerned, the best way to get a good game machine is to buy the components and build it yourself. Didn't you say that your father knows a lot about computers? Maybe the two of you could build one as a project together! The way I built mine was to buy the componants when they were on sale and when I had all the pieces I put it together. If you look at the specs I listed in my sig, you will see I built a pretty decent P4 for around $700 (USD). It would cost you twice as much if it was a built machine! The knowlege you will gain along with the hands on experience from the people in this forum would be invaluable in the future, and it's fun too!

theonejrs

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Hmmm... Mr Cash's psychobilly cadillac goes PC. LOL "One Piece at a Time", circa 1976 for the youngsters out there.

18. Triock

Triock Guest

OoOo, I see how it is, my dad wants to get me a 7545 socket, and i want a 939, and that and he wants to get all the stuff from a weird website!! And i want to get it from newegg.. He said that their is nothing wrong with 754 but the 939 has somthing the 754 doesent.. I dont remember what though... and my mom wants to order one by next wednesday, i was looking at this one from tiger direct...http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1599992&Tab=1&NoMapp=0

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=1592094&sku=m450-2018 f&CMP=ILC-FPM04

Copy and paste emm... Tell me what u think and get back to me.. Soph, u r the collect mo fo in the world!! I officially look up to you!!!
    And BTW: If all i do is think about computers all day, Does that quallify me as being obsessed??

Thanks,
    Triock

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Triock,

I don't know whether you noticed but that Shuttle systen doesn't have any Video card in it or on-board Video. It also doesn't support SATA or PCI Express either. With only one expansion slot available, it's pretty limited as far as expansion goes. Barebones systems are fine but many of them offer a lot more for the buck than this system.

theonejrs

20. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I work on Macs as well as PCs. Macintoschs could never really be descibed as stable. With all of the real Mac OS being non multitasking then it was less likely someone would push the Mac to have problems. But the hardware was horribly slow and awkward.

With the borrowing of Unix compatible OSs the Mac became a mainstream computer but then you get all the complexities of Windows and then some. Easy to break and easy to crash.
    I like the newer Macs because they are very similar to a PC with Linux. In fact a Mac with Linux is a better alternative for my purposes.
    But for stability, a modern XP loaded PC will be much more stable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.