1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

And coming to your neighborhood in the near future will be an Apple with Intel inside. Seems Mac is going to be running some Intel instead of the old IBM chipsets. Mac said they'd never support a PC with a dual boot setup with both Mac and Windows, but I suspect someone will be doing it. LOL

2. Triock

Triock Guest

Their is nothing wrong with a 754 socket?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There isn't anything outstandingly wrong with 754, but it's getting on a bit now, and new processors for it aren't and won't, so once you get it, that's it. 939 Has some other advantages too, so I'd go for that if you can. It's like going for an AGP slot when there's been PCI express for a while, there's nothing wrong with it, but you have a better option for very little more so why not?

4. Triock

Triock Guest

Hey guys, i was going to get this.http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1592094&CatId=0 but their are downsides to it.. I know but the main thing is the 754 the fsb and the cashe which it doesent say!!!
    Someone help.. What r the downsides to the 754 socket???
    Thanks,
    Triock

5. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

A I wouldnt trust the power supply for one. Probaly junk no name that may spike and fry something. B One gig is slower than having 2 512 sticks in dual channel and c that case doesnt look like its has good airflow. D 754 is pretty much extinct and even 939 socket is going out next year, but at least with 939 you will only be out of date for a year..lol.!

:>

6. brobear

brobear Guest

7. Triock

Triock Guest

WHOOO.... I dono what to do then!!! I have 600.00 to spend!! not a 1,000 Whooooo... Thanks though.. Why is the 754 extenct?!?!?!
    I asked my dad and he said nothing is wrong with it!!! Geese tell me what to do then please!!!!

Send me a computer within my price range... And BTW: The 600.00 includes everything yall!!!
    Thanks,
    Triock

8. Triock

Triock Guest

Well thats it i give up.. My dad said yall dont know shit .. '' Yalls as from a hole in the ground'' So i dont know who to belive. I would like to trust yall, But. I dono.... This is soo erratating.. Cause i have to stick with this system for the next 5 years. so i am trying to get the most bang for the buck!!!

9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Triok
    For 600 bucks it is more POP for you buck. Not much of a bang.
    If you can have dad put it together then a 939 system should be easy to get for $600. It just won't be a super gamer.

If your dad thinks a 754 system is the best he can do for you then your stuck. No Venice cores or dual cores or dual channel memory or PCI-E Vid cards. No future.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

Triock
    I believe your father should have better control of his temper in front of the children. It's not nice to call others a fool while trying to improve his own image.

If your father doesn't want you to get conflicting info from what he's telling you, he shouldn't allow you access to a PC with a modem. I'll not comment more on his ranting because he's your father and it's Christmas. Let's just say there's enough collected expertise on this one thread to eclipse your father's knowledge of PCs. If he starts now, he'll be much older by the time he catchs up with the knowledge base maintained by this small group, if then. The reason being most of us keep learning. That's not putting your father down, there just happens to be some award winning PC builders running around here; a few scholars as well. Not me of course, I'm just the village idiot, and a grinch to boot. LOL

I never had anything as elaborate as the PC you're getting when I was a child. What you're getting isn't a toy, but it isn't a top end unit either. Take what you can and leave enough to make sure you have the essentials; a modem, an optical drive, hard drive, and a less expensive graphics card like the ones they sell down at Wal Mart; or add those to the order list from TigerDirect. My advice is to take what you're being given, it's a gift and spend the difference for the things that make a basic PC. As Donald said you're getting pop for the buck, not bang. When you get older, you can buy your own super PC, if that's your prioritiy then.

Sometime after Christmas, ask dad if he'll trade PCs with you because there's nothing wrong with the one you have. Then duck... he seems to have a temper.

Merry Christmas and I hope you get a GameBoy in your stocking as well as that PC under the tree.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  11. Triock

Triock Guest

Hey Brute, Very well put, same to u 64026402.. I dono he thinks yall r a bunch of teens that think they know what they r talking about!!!

Here is what i want to get!!! BTW: He said newegg sucks!!

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129152

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103539

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814102430

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820144310

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813130491

The total is 598.00.. Dad does this all fit??

$572.00
    Shipping
    Zip Code: GO FedEx Express Saver -- $54.17 FedEx 2Day -- $55.54 FedEx Standard Overnight -- $54.52 UPS Ground (1-5 Business Days) -- $26.06 UPS 3 Days -- $29.79 UPS 2nd Day-- $37.88 UPS Next Day Saver -- $50.37
    *Enter your Zip Code and select a shipping option to determine your shipping cost.
    **UPS Shipping Now Available**
    We're pleased to offer you the option to ship your order via UPS. Shipping: $26.06

That is a steel corect me if i am wrong???
    He said i need paiste.. Which it has on the heatsink, And a new heatsink???

Yet he is running a XP on stock cooling???

Tell me what u guys think.. BTW: He said he could find it cheaper...

12. brobear

brobear Guest

If only it were true. I'd gladly give up some of the wisdom of age for youth. LOL So, now I'm the Brute eh? BTW, your father shouldn't put down teens, there's quite a few of them who know a lot about PCs. Wish I was one of them (if only for the youth). ;)

The items you posted last make more sense than the barebones "thing" you were thinking of. Also, I suspected the "barebones" I mentioned probably wasn't in your parents' budget for this Christmas. But with a more reasonable processor, the rest of the options on that PC made more sense for a number of reasons.

I'll just make a couple of comments, I realize you're trying to adhere to a budget. The case is an item where you can trim a few bucks off the budget. But it can effect the cooling of the system and in the end the performance of the system. I prefer the Thermaltakes for more fans and better cooling. But then you could be adding nearly $100 difference for a good case. I think the extra is worth it, but it erodes a small budget. Ask yourself, cheap or better cooling? Not that much difference in cost. There may be a better compromise between top end and cheap on this item.

Another item that would only cost a few bucks more is a better motherboard. How much more does a good Asus cost? Your call, but as you learn, a better board could save a lot of aggravation if you want to change a few things later on. Look at the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe like Sophocles has.

There are some things noticably absent from your list. The power supply is one, get a decent one with enough power to expand some. You don't want to be maxxed out at the start. You'll need a hard drive or 2. Those aren't too bad unless you want an expensive one. I just picked up a 300GB WD at SAM'S for about $150. Then you need an optical drive. You can make do with one good burner and add a ROM later. Most of us like a ROM for reading. They're cheaper and it prolongs the life of the more expensive burner. You may want some way to connect to the net, internal modem or some setup with an external modem.

The "have to have" items to go with your list are a power supply, optical drive, and hard drive. Don't forget the thermal compound; Arctic Silver is a good brand and Newegg carries it. You'll need to scrounge around and find an OS to load to your system and some software. Your dad can probably help you out there. Hopefully all the screws, cables and goodies will come with the items you order. Good luck. Now you're looking at a more reasonable, yet decent Custom.

Hmmm... Guess I'd better go check those pimples and testosterone... LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2005
  13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Triock

That'll do OK. It won't play the fast games and you'll have to play with the lower settings IE not anti aliasing or higher res graphics but it'll do.

Tell your dad to meet me in the chat-room at www.dvdhounds.com, I think that I can convince him that we are legit and definitely not teens.

He can go there and leave me a message telling me when he'll be available and I'll meet with him. Perhaps we can gain his confidence, but let him know that he'll be the pup there.

BTW, like brobear said the case nees a power supply.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  14. brobear

brobear Guest

Yep, won't work without power. It won't work without the ability to communicate with it either, mouse and keyboard. Then you can't see what's going on without a monitor. Guess we leave little things like that out because we take them for granted. Plus, how do you load the OS and apps without a drive. Where will you keep the OS, software programs and work without a hard drive? Not necessary to start, but a printer is handy for printing out those homework assignments. Sorry, but there's a few hundred dollars more in essentials to add to the cost you listed. That is unless someone has them laying around for your use.

To the question, is it a steal? No, but the prices are decent. Your father says he can find it cheaper? Where, we'd like to share in the savings. Compare prices on same items, not similar ones. Buying cheap doesn't always assure the best price, because quality should be a concern with the purchase of PC parts.

Sophocles,
    Let me know when/if that conversation takes place with Triock's father. I'd like to be there to assure him we're actually adults in the real world. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2005
  15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I was assuming that his current monitor, keyboard, and mouse will suffice for now. If they have an old PC around with an ATX compatible power supply with at least 350 watts they might even be able to use that as well.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Maybe, but, as you say, that's assuming there's the PC system to pirate or worth pirating. Factory parts, including power supplies, don't always fit custom applications. So, there you have a "try and see" situation.

17. Triock

Triock Guest

LOL... U guys R funny.. Umm.. O yeah, The case didnt have a ps. i know. But i was going to get a 45.00 to 65.00 case.. And we have everything else.. BTW: The standard heatsink and stuff should do for know right???
    And what was wrong with the CPU???

Get back to me..
    And where do yall get yall's stuff?

Thanks,
    Triock

18. brobear

brobear Guest

And? Maybe you'll get lucky.

The CPU you listed from Newegg is decent and it fits in your budget. Standard heatsink? Probably will work, though running a bit on the warm side. The cheap case and lower cooling capacity affects that as well. You've got to be able to get the heat out of the case and one little case fan doesn't usually do very well.

We'll wish you luck, let us know how it turns out.

19. Triock

Triock Guest

My dad is in the living room, and i sent him the email, here is his reply...

''You are completely missing it. Do not send me anymore components. You are missing powersupply, heat sink fan, system fans, thermal grease. You do not tell me what you are getting or you can do it completely yourself. If this is what you are wanting, I can find it in the right configuration with everything you will need for a complete installation within your price range. Do not send me something again that you are telling me what you are getting or I will quit looking and you will be on your own.''

I think i would rather be on my own!!! LOL.. Send me the links from where yall got yalls stuff...

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You had asked me a while back what my settings were or if I knew why I was achieving such fast encode speeds. You’d suggested that it was a result of memory and you were mostly right. It’s not because of the speed of my memory, although that does contribute, it's because of the amount of memory that I have (two gigs). Think of it like this, I’ve ripped a large multi gig file to my hard disk and then I’m encoding it back to that same disk. Each time the hard disk has to be accessed there is a bottleneck, and since it has to pull large data files from the disk and feed it back at almost the same time there has to be considerable swapping. But if one had more memory, say two gigs, then more data could be accessed and processed with less swapping. In other words it’s your hard disk that’s bottlenecking. I’m not even sure if the quality of memory is as important as how much. My advice is to up your system to two gigs and then give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.