1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

Triock
    Sophocles is right, you need to pay more attention to your posts. Also, secondhand disagreements with your "dad" over info you get from us isn't advisable either. Sometimes things get lost or added in the interpretation. We don't mind helping out or answering reasonable questions, but "what if" questions with little focus can keep everyone going in circles. You were asked specific questions to which you gave partial parts lists and more questions. I realize it can be fun losing yourself in a dream pursuit. Just realize you're dealing with people in the real world. So, get focused and there will be no problems here or at Hounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2005
  2. Triock

Triock Guest

ok.. I sorry guys. So, my mom ordered the setup. Is their any advise for me and my new system?

JK. Thanks, And i wont jump to different subjects again.

Thanks,
    Triock

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes, live with your choice and enjoy it.

4. Triock

Triock Guest

What does that mean?

5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

And when you are up and running, then we can help with specific concerns. Tweaking and software and such.

6. Triock

Triock Guest

OoOoO.. O.k. Thanx.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Triock
    The system you are getting, if set up properly will be better than a lot and most of the factory PCs. That is if you got the second stick of memory. You can always add more memory later, so it isn't a big deal. You should have listend to Donald and Sophocles on the board, just 6 dollars would make a lot of difference there.

To put your situation into simple perspective, enjoy the gift you receive. The decisions have been made and the only thing left is assembly, setup, and tweaking. You'll see better systems, but don't be putting down your decision or "dad's". It's what you have and the best you could get at the time. So, enjoy what you have instead of being upset over what you don't have. That was part of what Sophocles was pointing out.

8. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

I've read some place that the AMD 64 fx is better with adobe photoshop CS than intel is that true?

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Since Intel is playing "catch up" at this point, that can be said for most apps, not just photoshop. One thing about the program though, it is notorious for the drain it puts on any system. To work properly a lot of RAM is required. The minimum is a lot lower than what actually works well.

BTW, I've been running photoshop on an older Intel PC (2 yrs old), but it has a lot of memory. I don't suffer from any operational problems. So, I don't see how the AMD 64 FX could be that much of and improvement for this one app. I sure wouldn't run out to get an AMD FX system just to run photoshop. However, as things are now, I wouldn't mind having one for the many other things it can do better than Intel (for now).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2005
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

Owning a copy of Adobe Photoshop 7.0 I can verify what brobear said, it is a resource hog. Adobe recommends that it be installed on a separate partition than that which your operating system is on. It slowed my P4 3.149 Ghz Northwood with 1 gig of high speed memory to crawl. My latest system however has done well with it but I'm betting that this is a multi threaded ap that would work well with a dual core system.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I personally feel a little bit sorry for Triock. I know he can wave in and out of focus on the thread, but I also feel he's put in a no man's land between our advice and his dad's seemed rantings.
    I personally would be happy with the system he's getting seeing as it's free to him, but that 6200 card would see a limited service life.

12. rugripper

rugripper Guest

yeah trilock,

.....start reading reviews for yourself,we are here to help you not to have a fight with you and your daddy....lmfao....this thread is about amd vs intel,not daddy vs trilock.......come on boy grow up.....read and learn before debating something you have no idea what your talking about....start with :

http://www.anandtech.com/

and follow the links on that site to teach yourself alittle and take that propellor off your head,dah....ok.....as ddp puts it teach and learn...so go learn something.

btw amd rules as intel tries to catch up but fails
    same goes with nvidia sli rules and ati crossfire missfires....lmfao

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, that was a direct response, but wasn't it a little harsh, rugripper?
    And although i agree about your topical slate of intel, Crossfire has plenty of potential, but just hasn't been used yet. To be honest, the same goes for SLi really, there are still far too many games where you're better off with one card. I daresay at present XFire has more potential, but ATi are further behind in the development process, and they don't help themselves with countless paper launches.

14. rugripper

rugripper Guest

yeah i know sam but i was reading the thread and it was about amd vs intel.come to find out it turned to triock vs daddy....got me alittle upset....blew a gasket a little....lol...i just read an artical in pc world about the crossfire.its not working as they exspected and pretty much misfiring,no pun intended.....the sli ,not used today really but to patch more memory between boards is going to be a winner in my eyes....by this time next year,as i hear ,they will start to use sli and dual cpu`s in gaming.just imagine how good the graphics are going to be.....btw sam thx for all your help in the past.havent seen you around for a while......alittle harsh but right to the point...we are here to help people not to fight with daddy....and i to feel sorry for trilock too.he needs to learn alittle more by asking questions instead of telling people what daddy said.....i am a dad so that bothers me alot...need to voice your own opinions....you know what i mean.....peace

btw how did my rig turn out?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2005
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah sure, long time not talk too.
    I'm eagerly awaiting the time when we can extrat at least 80% of the power from additional GPUs (and don't forget it needn't stop at two, Dual Core Graphics cards are about now) and with the added benefits of Hyper-Threaded Dual Core CPUs and PhysX cards, imagine the possibilities.

16. rugripper

rugripper Guest

yeah my friend i cant wait....going to be a fun next couple of years with all this power forget about it right?....peace sam

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely. I can envisage An Athlon64 X4 series appearing in the not too distant future. I wonder what Intel would make of it?

18. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hahahahaha they will be catching up as usual....things probably wont change....lol....a64 x4 would be sweet...well in the xbox 360 we are talking tricore so why not quad core....lol...pretty soon we will be looking at screens and playing games and if we opened the front door and are looking at real life....this pc age i think will go crazy over the next two or so years....i cant wait sam but money for all that.champain taste with lemonaide pockets as my friend jonni3 puts it....lol....glad to hear your still around and have a merry christmas and a happy new year....have to go cause you got me so excited i peed my pants...lmao...just joking....peace

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2005
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol I've never managed to do that before!!!
    I also noticed this in your sig:
    "2.79 mhz so far" - that's not a lot, are you sure?

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

rugripper

Could you post a couple of screen shots of benchmarks from Sisoft and CPU-Z. CPU-Z will show your front side bus settings and then run the CPU Arithmetic benchmark and the memory bandwidth benchmark. This is after all an AMD versus Intel thread although recently it's been the Triock's build it thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.