1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I needed to edit them a bit but look above.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

I do those captures in gif instead of jpeg. It takes up less space and they'll open faster. By the way, is it my PC or is there a problem with the second capture opening.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I prefer gif over jpg too except when I do things right now. Those benchmarks were done in the last hour.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

What does doing things right now have to do with jpeg or gif? Those I posted were freshly done as well. In the past I've been a bit lazy about getting the processor info in the captures, so I did new ones.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

My capture soft doesn't do gif, and my Internet connection is too fast to care.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Mine does bmp, jpg, gif, and png. All I have to do is choose the format. I thought I gave you the info on it. As for speed, my software and connection don't care either. The host only allows so much space and on occasion I have to redo the higher content jpegs. Sometimes I remember there are those still with dial up.

7. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey sophocles,

drop your multiplier down to 8 or 9 and you can raise your fsb probably as high as 310.....with a 166 divider...i have a 3700+ got mine set at :

9x310@166@2225@1T gives me a 2860 mhz vcore@1.56v dram@2.75v temps 37c-44c loaded playing fear for a hour or two....had it up to 2970 mhz cant break the 3000 mhz mark yet maybe with watercooling

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

rugripper

I've droped my multiplier before but I also had to drop my command rate of 1T, so I gained in CPU speed but lost significantly in memory speed.

I would still like to see your screen shots.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

rugripper
    Interesting. Such a screen shot might pursuade me to go ahead and do the AMD build early instead of waiting to see what happens later in '06. I'd like to see those screen shots (captures) that Sophocles asked to see.

10. rugripper

rugripper Guest

how do i take a pic and put it on here.....tell me how and i will, okay?.peace

btw soph... your board is almost the same as mine you should be able to get that oc with the 1t....what kind of ram you got?

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2005
  12. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

You can also screen cap the pic using ALT PRNTSCRN. Paste to Paint, or open up PaintShop Pro....save as jpg, or gif....png as I like to.

Here's the math you guys wanted.

[​IMG]

@brobear....hey, no fair throwing in 64bit CPUs!! :)

So tell me, if a customer came to you....and asked you to build them a 2Ghz system...what would you build them? Give this customer the best bang for their buck.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Now where did I go and do that? You must have been looking at one of Sophocles posts. I was putting up benches for antiques. LOL

14. brobear

brobear Guest

That's an antique 32 bit system. ;)

[​IMG]

If you notice, it matches the Current CPU in the Sandra Item window. That's how you show the bench matches the CPU-Z screen.

[​IMG]

15. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

picky picky picky....... :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

The chipset in this motherboard is going south on me, so I will be posting new spec as soon as I get my new mobo. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a similar board under $100, since everyone's moving on to 64bit Socket 939s.

I will be switching from nVidia's nForce 2 to VIA's KT880.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Post em up so we can see your improvements. If you use the right software, you can even do the entire Item listing of the benchmark info. Here's what the old Northwood info looks like, benchmark results, specs and all. ;)

[​IMG]

I paid a bit closer attention to the processor you have. There's a noticable difference between the Athlon 3000+ and the Athlon XP 3000+. Here's what AMD had to say about it when it came out in 'O3:
    AMD's initial Athlon 3000+ was supposed to be the comparable CPU to the 3GHz Intel. With the added cache memory, I wonder just how much + the XP was over the 3GHz Intel in comparison. It had a hefty price tag 2 years ago as well. At the time it was selling for $588 to dealers in lots of 1000.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Morph416
    If you didn't get lost in all the numbers, you'll notice that the old 2.8 Northwood split some of the test results with the stock XP 3000+. In '03 AMD didn't enjoy a margin of superiority as they do today. You can ask Sophocles how well the Northwood OCs. He did one. Except for updating drives, this PC has remained stock.

19. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Yeah, still had a hefty tag when I bought it. $280 from Newegg.

I'll let you know the diff between boards, it'll be a bit cuz I like to fine tune the drivers, and registry settings.

Have you noticed any realtime diff between riding the 400 bus and the 800? I haven't seen much...though I could be missing something.

I've tried finding me a 3200+, but they want $165 OEM, and $260 for the retail...and since I plan on building an AMD64 X2 this coming year (3800 dual core)...no sense in upping this system anymore.

Reading up on the VIA KT880, it has very similar specs to the nForce 2, but the 8237 SB that goes with it has native serial ATA support, which should give alot better performance all around should I see fit to swapping the drives. However, since the Soyo KT880 Dragon 2 v2 I am getting has 4 separate IDE channels (IDE 1,2,3 and 4), I will be putting each drive on their own channel. Should help alot.

I have had no complaints with this system as far as hardware goes, similar to you!! But, the 32bit era for me is coming to a close.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, 64 bit is the coming thing, but 32 is still with us and little of the 64 bit programing is available. So, I'm in no hurry to do a build right now. 64 bit will be more common before I take the leap. I want to see how the new Vista OS and Blu-Ray and/or HD DVD works out as well.

This PC has an OEM board, so I'm unable to tweak the settings. Another reason it's stayed stock. The board has the 875P chipset, so it supports up to a 3.6GHz CPU and 4 GB or RAM. So, the chipset isn't a bottleneck. The newer processors only have the speed advantage. As I pointed out, the Northwood had some advantages, I don't know why Intel went with the Prescott. Another of those mysteries.

As for SATA, I'm waiting for a new PC. I could adapt what I have, but the improvements wouldn't be that earth shattering. Now if I went to RAID 0. But for now I'm being a CAB. Like you I'm wanting to get a new system, and buying expensive upgrades now would detract from that. Bought a new cycle this year and I'm only allowed so many new toys at once. LOL I'm thinking of upgrading to a Road King Classic. ;)

If I was going to build an X2 now, I'd like to use one of the ASUS boards. This one caught my eye at Newegg. It's a bit pricey, but it has the bells and whistles. If it's going to be a high end CPU, it may as well have a good board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568

I was looking at the Soyo board at TigerDirect. That's a decent price on it, $59.99. My favorite board for the X2s are over $200. Hopefully that goes down by the time I get around to getting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.