1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

Wouldn't dare, they all have heat problems if pushed far enough.

Only if you build it yourself. Time and time again we've seen the comparable equipped PCs higher in cost for the factory built AMD PCs. http://www.newegg.com is the link for a popular net sales outlet for AMD and Intel CPUs. The difference in cost for the comparable processors is negligible. If one is going to build the PC themselves, by all means go with an AMD processor if it fills your need. However, for the consumer that buys a ready built stock PC, think Intel for best bang for the buck.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depending, of course which supplier it is.
    Admittedly many/most factory PC outlets use solely or pedominantly intel processors, but My Athlon XP originated from a store-bought PC, from a manufacturer claiming that AMD offered better performance.

Of course the slight flaw in my argument is that this company has now gone broke, but never mind...

In the field of basic home PCs, Intel definitely, until AMD sorts their Sempron out...
    I think the advent of 64-bit software may herald good times for AAMD though, not least because the FX and X2 series can really take off, but because the Sempron 64-bit, being the cheapest processor still for sale, may actually perform rather well, better than most Celerons i reckon. It's clear that Intel are very hesitant about 64-bit, and you can't blame them, given how long it will be before 64-bit really takes off, but They seem to have no intention of giving it to their Celeron processors.
    Will that come back and bite them?
    Only time will telll...

I do think all high-end CPUs are overpriced though...

3. brobear

brobear Guest

And that in itself was a mouth full... I couldn't agree with you more. ;)

4. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I like you brobear, stubbon like me.
    But you must be corrected.
    AMD version 7500 starting at $2279 or $2951 with the fastest dual core 4800+
    http://www.alienware.com/Configurat...px?SysCode=PC-AURORA-7500&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Intel version 7500 starting at $2049 or $2981 with the fastest(cough) dual core 840 extreme edition.
    http://www.alienware.com/Configurat...SysCode=PC-AREA51-7500-R1&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Hmmm. 30 dollars more for the Intels fastest Dual core. And it is slower. Easy choice.

You were misrepresenting the truth again.
    You were comparing two completely different lines of computers.

The fact that they didn't bother with an ALX Intel design should let you know who the performance champ is.

5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  6. brobear

brobear Guest

I'm surprised you don't believe in me yet Donald. LOL Since they say a picture is worth a thousand words, here's 2000 for ya. ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[bold]Those are starting configurations for the top AMD and top Intel equipped gamer PCs. I wasn't adding any extra bells and whistles from the configuration choices.[/bold]

I mentioned the top extreme gamer with Intel and the super gamer with AMD. Nothing misleading except your wanting to say so. Talk about stubborn, I almost admire your tenacity for coming after me... almost. LOL ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2005
  7. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Thanks,
    That is what I was looking for. The overpriced Intel to go with the overpriced AMD. Kinda blows the AMD is more expensive thing out of the water though.

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

You may have noticed there was very little in the way of P4 desktops in the paper. Just one in bestbuy. It was the most expensive offering.
    Plenty of AMD systems going for a song though. Including Sophs 3500+.
    Even you could afford the faster machine Brobear.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

BTW, when doing comparisons, use PCs that are comparable with comparable CPUs; keeps from misrepresenting the truth. ;)

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I agree that you should start doing that.
    Obviously I choose the Top dual cores and the 3.8 p4 and 3800+.
    You just can't get anymore comparable than that. Of course I can't do anything about the Intels slow performance.

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I wasn't the one comparing a $5000 AMD to the $2000 Intel instead of the comparable $5000 Intel.

12. Leningrad

Leningrad Regular member

Before I was supposed to get a PC for my birthday sadly
    I didnt but it supposed to be a AMD 3000. I choosed it because it was fast and more reliable.
    Intel is kinda like a Audi car with good style and great transsmision
    but kinda slow.

13. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Actually the AMD ALX is $4657 with the top dual core, $300 less than Intel.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

You did see where I missed something Donald, but it wasn't that extreme. Soph kept me up with this discussion that boils down to a simple matter of preference. I guess I was getting a bit groggy.

I was talking about top end gamers with Alien. I missed the top end Intel the first time I browsed the site and you missed the high end AMD. Neither are the stock configuration of a regular PC. As Sophocles aptly put it, these are true designer PCs. Alien decided to do one better with the Intel gamer that I missed. It's also a speedwagon and the price isn't significantly higher than the one in the post above. It does cost a few hundred more, but what the heck when you're talking about $5000 toys, a Pentium that can kick AMD butt. LOL I'd love to run the benchmarks on those two. Seems I made an error, no more egregious than the one you made. ;) [bold]So they both cost a hell of a lot more than I think they're worth.[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2005
  15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The ALX Intel wasn't easy to find. I had to did to find it even after you told me it was there.

I still plan on getting a dual core Pentium D if for nothing else than historic collecting.

The Dual core Intel also has new DRM built in so if hollywood chooses to use it you proc won't encode copyrighted material.
    I haven't dug up enough info on it yet but it is of concern.

16. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I have my dream Alien PC up to $8388. Got a few options.

Actually My dream machine is 4 dual core Optetron on a 4way server.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Talking about extreme. I'm afraid to play with the configuration tool, I might want one. Naw... ;) Too early in the day for a shot of bourbon to calm the old nerves when I get the sticker shock.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Eight thousand dollars.

<shakes head disapprovingly>

And why exactly do you need that?

Honestly, why i don't understand.

So you can run games at 2048x1536 on maximum detail at a frame rate faster then the eye can distinguish?
    Pfft, absurd.
    Quite happy with my setup, thanks.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

They're just playing around, you'd be lucky to get 6402 to spend $800 let alone $8000. I'll be happy when I get my dual core.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  20. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha...oww that stings a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.