1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Scubabud

Could you include a screen shot of memory bandwidth and CPU-Z settings? It helps give a sense of overall system performance. I have a Northwood from my last PC which I'm going to rebuild soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

OK, here they are :)

[​IMG]

Edit to include a more realistic memory score after changes to M/B settings.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Thanks Scubabud, it gives everyone a clearer picture of your system.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

First of all, To everyone a very Merry and safe Holiday. Hope Santa bought you some nice goodies!

I have an on-topic question. I'm trying to learn about AMD 64x2 CPUs. What is the difference between the "Manchester" and the "Toledo" CPU? Taking my Q from Sophocles I've been looking at the prices of the 4400+ and the 4800+ which are the "Toledo" chip. The 4200+, 4600+ are the "Manchester" chip. Which is the better chip? If the diffrence winds up being the L2 Cache size then I'm down to 2! The 4400 and the 4800.

I just had a crazy thought! With AMD selling 64x2 CPUs in such huge numbers and invading some of Intels home and business market, I'm willing to bet that the price of the 4400+ will be below $300 (USD) by early May. I may be wrong but the numbers seem to very much be in AMD's favor. With Intel's new CPUs coming out mid-May, what better time than that for AMD to cut the price of their CPUs? I think Intel may wind up finding out that they "Came to a gunfight with a knife"! If that's the way this unfolds, I would love to meet the person who dreamed the whole thing up, just for the privilege of shaking his hand!

Look at the facts. If Dell wasn't #1, where would Intel's numbers be. All the other major companies seem to be offering more and more AMDs in their line-up. I think for the first time, Intel is going to have to compete with AMD, instead of the other way around!!! Could wind up being a pretty neat "Fairy Tale"! "And to all a Good Night" ain't bad either!

theonejrs

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

The Manchester and the Toledo X2s are like the Venice and San Diego cores except that they're dual cored. The Manchester has like the Venice 512K of L2 cache per core whereas the Toledo has 1 megabyte of L2 per core. The X2 4200 and the X2 4400 have the same core speed and multiplier of 11X. It would be a waste of money to purchase the X2 4800 because both the X2 4200 and X2 4400 can over clock to its speeds. The X2 4200 over clocked is essentially a faster X2 4800.

Merry Christmas to all who observes it. I already have a socket 939 board so Intel isn't in my near future anyway. I too am waiting for the price to come down but if it doesn't then I'll probably go ahead and purchase either the 4200 or the 4400. Imagine how fast they would be over clocked to over 2.7 Ghz.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Test only, please ignore
    [​IMG]

I'm trying to show a friend how this works.

theonejrs

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

At least you didn't say "testies, testies" "right and left testies.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To Sophocles,

I have been meaning to ask, how do you do a quote? I've tried cut and paste but that doesn't seem to work. Is there something I need to do to copy someones text from their message?

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@theonejrs

While you are entering text into your open message window in a thread, look to the top of that window and you will see exactly how to post an img, quote, italic or bold. It's just about 1 1/2 inches above your window so I don't think you will miss it, at least not now. :)

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

This is just another test, ignore.

Now lets see if I can make this work.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It works!!!

theonejrs

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

You've made a small error in setting up your HTML tags Check the brackets to see if they're all the same. You want this "[]" not this "{]."

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks Sophocles!
    I left out the / between the last bracket and "quote".

More on topic, I have been experimenting with the OC settings in the setup. At 5% I get a FSB of 210x4=840 and my memory data rate is 210x2=420. Any settings higher than this the memory data rate drops about 25% to 151x2=302. The computer seems to run very well at this modest increase. Since you have a motherboard like mine (Asus P4P800 SE), I was wondering what to set if I want to improve the performance. Is there a way to gain a higher memory data rate with say a 900 FSB or is this a trade off? I can run it as high as 3.45 without problems other than temperature, but the memory really becomes slow. I also noticed that at the 3.15 setting, I no longer get the right click window on the screen the first time I left click on the mouse. I always thought that this was caused by my mouse being wireless.

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'll let you know when I get that far. Right now the board is still in its box. I purchased it to make use of some old parts that are laying around. All I needed to build a P4 system was the motherboard which I purchased refurbished and a case, I have everything else. The quality of memory affects an overclock more than any other component.

14. Triock

Triock Guest

MuHA HA HA !!!!!
    I got it!!!

OoOoOo K .. Know how do i show you my stats and stuff?
    LOL i will run sandra... And cpu-z and find out

Thanx,
    Casper

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Triock, I almost said to draw a picture like the ones ScubaBud and Sophocles did. To let you in on something not so secret, this thread has already covered the "how to post a screenshot" segment. For a while I thought this was the "How to make a post" thread. Go back a few pages and you'll see where we went over the topic in detail and even gave examples. If you have trouble, maybe theonejrs will point it out for you.

16. thejazman

thejazman Guest

I have a couple of weeks off work coming up and have decided to build another PC but after listening to you guys for the past month or so I fancy building an AMD platform this time and not my beloved Intel.

As I have never build an AMD machine what do you think of the following motherboard and processor(s) combination:

Tyan Thunder K8WE motherboard
    2 x AMD Opteron 880 dual core(2.4Ghz-0.9nm-2Mb)

Let me know what else I could add to improve the performance or if you know of another mb that might be better.

Cheers guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Supermicro X6DA8-G2 Dual Xeon
    2x Intel Xeon 3.6GHz 800MHz 2MB cache
    16GB Gold Series Gamer Extreme DDR 500Mhz
    SLI 2x Gainward GF 7800GTX Ultra 3550PCX XP SLI, 512MB DDR3
    4x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda
    2x Pioneer DVR-110 MultiRecorder 16x DVD±RW 5X RAM
    Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Series Elite Pro
    ThermalTake Liquid cooling Aluminum Tower
    ThermalTake 680W PurePower

17. Triock

Triock Guest

Well, Are you going for a server class, Or an at home class, Cause those Xeon are server processors.. I would go with an asus motherboard. They are legendary for their ability to overclock, And their overall performance... I dont know a whole lot about the opterons, But if you want top of the line, Thats not a opteron i would get an FX... The multipliers are not set on those, And they are duel core..

And i will post my stats soon..

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

thejazman

What exactly do you intend to do with this board? Don't you think that two Opteron 880's are bit overkill and too expensive when you intend to install them in a dual processor board when they're made for a 4 processor board? Don't you think that a couple of opteron 280's would make more sense. They have the same core speed as the 880 but are made for a dual processor server board. If you go with 2 880's you're paying about $2600 dollars more with no gains in performance.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  19. thejazman

thejazman Guest

I have knowledge whatsoever about AMD I just saw an article in a PC mag showing a high spec pc with this setup, but if anyone has any better ideas that would be great, not worried about the expense just want to buy the best their is.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

thejazman

Tyan makes good boards and that seems to be a pretty good choice but it's a 2 processor board which means that you'd be wasting your money if you go with the Opteron 880. The problem is that the 880 is priced so high because it's made for a 4 processor board and as a result they run for about $3000. Since you're going to need only two of them for that board the Opteron 280 would make more sense. Two 880's or two 280's on that board would give you the same performance but the two 280's are going to cost about $3000 less. In effect the 880 and the 280 are the same processor when there's only two of them used at the same time.

Now if you really have to the 880's then you should look at a board that handles 4 processors. That of course would mean that you're going to spend over $10,000 on processors alone. But if you're going to be running a server and it's going you're going to multi task the daylights out of it then go for it. But as a home user you will never realize any gains in user speed. That is unless you're going to compress at least three movies, surf the net, word process, and play video games all that the same time. A four processor server is expected to respond to several commands or uploads at once without faltering, it's about efficiency.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.