1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

Soph,
    Hush... LOL Everyone will find out what a cheap bunch we are, excluding you of course. LOL ;)

2. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I'm thrifty. Your stubborn. Sophocles is choosy.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

We're all stubborn, Donald is "thrifty", and Sophocles is choosy. ;)

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You both are stubborn, I can be choosy and Donald is a cheapskate.:)

5. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL See what I mean. ;) LOL

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That'd be how many off-topic posts?

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

Including yours I count seven.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

sammorris

Including yours I count eight.

9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Make that nine.

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Oh yeah, Intel blows and AMD rocks dude.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

I have an AMD XP 2500+@3200 and it was a decent chip but it's not in the same league as the newer cores Venice, San Diego for single core and Toledo and Manchester for Dual cores. What makes these chips something special is the advancement in die production and onboard memory handling.

As we all know the reason that CPU manufacturers are going to dual core is because they've virtually reached the theoretical limit on how close individual circuit paths can co exist. The wall division between one circuit and another's literally molecules thick. AMD along with IBM came up with a solution that allows them to overcome some of those difficulty called strained silicon.

Intel chips at this time are inferior to any of the cores I mentioned above. The only thing that you can do to get an Intel chip to match AMD's speed would be to cool them with water or perhaps (Hmm!liguid nitrogen). I believe that Intel is going to make a comeback expeciall since they're thinking of placing four cores on a single die

Here's a link tht will fill you in on some of the technology that's got Intel in a conundrum.

http://www.physorg.com/news2338.html

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How can the gaps between strips be only a few molecules thick, if they've now made them smaller?

Bear in mind scientists are talking about making picometre processors in the next couple of decades...

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If it's made up of solid matter then it has molecules Period. Scientists are talking about nano computers being available by 2011, a trip to to mars in 2026 but right not they still have to deal with molecules. A silicon chip is basically a drawing etched out by fine lasers and then doped with metal and both metal and silicon contain molecules.

14. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The present limiting factor for semiconductor manufacturing would seem to be the light used to cut the wafers. Creating new equipment based on smaller wavelentghs is costly. They are running out of room with the present wavelengths.
    I have read about extreme ultra ultraviolet as a process and they are testing Xray and Gamma but the difficulties in making the changes slow the shrinking process.
    I agree with Sophocles that sub-molecular chip building is a long way off.

The Dual core Athlons use the new strained silicon and silicon on insulator to reduce the heat problem.
    I can say it works very well. Two 2.0 cores at 2650 mhz and 32 degrees idle, 52 degrees with both cores pegged.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So dual core processors have two cores both operating at (normally) 2000mhz?

In that case, essentially, surely the 'actual' clock speed will be 4000mhz?

But of course I assume in single core programs they act as, say 3800+, but when dual core support is out, 7600+?

That's extreme performance, but then again when they're running in 64-bit like that they'll need mountains of memory...

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

The new AMDs are excellent at handling memory much better than their predecessors, especially with dual channel memory. I don't think that one would need more than a gigabyte but since I already have two gigabytes it's a moot point.

Those are the actual specs of 6402's current machine. I hvae a single core running at 2.664 GHZ with about 34 degrees idle but never above 49 degrees full load.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  17. f00dl3

f00dl3 Guest

Intel P4s and Dual Cores

One of the main purposes of the Dual Core is to perform DRM-related functions without the user's noticing it. This enables remote attensation (remote control) to be carried out with little or no interuption of normal processing.

Beware the Fritz Chip (P4)

18. XelNaga

XelNaga Member

Well first off all let me just say that AMD is mainly for gaming and intel is mainly for muli-tasking and encoding. There is no doubt that Intel will perform better than AMD in terms of encoding/decoding. But AMD will outperform Intel in gaming and graphic processing. I think AMD is better because look at their smart engineering, the AMD clock speeds are only in the 2GHZ but they can compete against the Intel's clock speed of 3GHZ+. This is a classic battle between Brain's and Brawn: AMD's smart architecture and Intels Brute Clock speeds.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So when brawn is added to brains (say, an overclocked Athlon X2) - the ideal solution is created...

My next CPU (a 90nm one this time) will definitely get overclocked. Possibly considerably so.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

More liquid nitrogen anyone? ;) Ten?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.