1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Pokey

That is funny! LOL

2. Pokey5

Pokey5 Regular member

I fealt so retarded when I did it. I just kept cliking X but nothing happened, there was somthing in my brain that said "DESTROY THEM!". It must be an Internet surfing reflex.

3. 64026402

64026402 Active member

This is my top speed reliably at this voltage with my x2 3800.
    [​IMG]

I'm figuring the Optetron you have will do a solid 3.0 ghz

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  4. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

central brain identifier is a different tool than cpuid or that other one. However, there may be some chipsets that may not work fully but most it does. central brain identifier is really good and will tell you more details.

As a rule, i dont usually buy the first product out. I figure that after a while and a few more models after or revisions the bugs may be worked out as well as price going down. It would depend on how much more money and as well what type of performance increase. I dindt need to upgrade to this 3500+ venice from my 3200+ winchester, but I do notice a big speed increase, and the 3200+ is fast. Heck, ATI has not fully supported my all-in-wonder 9800pro in x64 xp pro yet, drivers yes, but not the multimedia center, so i cant use my tv tuner yet on the x64. I have had x64 since the prerelease and this was i think jeepers almost 2 years ago. I downloaded it burned the iso image and installed it. It runs good, but even though it is full edition release i have it still has a lot of support missing. But, it runs really fast. I have clonedvd2 and I have as you can see by my signature x64 on a 7200rpm hardrive and my xp 32bit on my raptor drive. Burning the same movie on both operating systems in this one computer, the x64 it burned the same movie 5 minutes faster!!! and in taskmanager it had the burning software as emulated!! by the *beside the process signifying emulated 32bit. One would think that 10,000rpm would beat a 7200rpm ide hardrive especially emulated. I shouldnt have bought the all-in-wonder, I should have bought the 9800pro and a tv tuner by phillips separate and saved money. I tend to want to wait. i bought teh 3500+ for the same amount as I bought the 3200+ winchester. I think a lot of performance is perception. I am going to conduct experiments and I am going to have people use computers Intel and AMD and lie and tell them they are the other way around and see what they think and of course there is other aspects I will try out to see perception in view of speed. I think a lot of performance, well, say you have one processor that does a job faster but starts up slower and the other finishes the job slower, but starts up faster and the difference is not that much, what one would I choose? I would choose the one who has the better latency. I like to click on a program and have it react fast and not stall even if in the long run the one that starts slower may finish it quicker, to notice the diffreence that would be a good experiment to see what the person can actually notice explicitly.

I buy AMD because of the consolidation on a motherboard and performance, and price and having had no problems and no temperature issues whatsoever. And I know people who have had problems with Intel wiht heat and I would not want to build a system for someone and than have them need to use the warranty because of heat. Having known a small number of people with computers and the hgih amount of heat issues personally besides what is seen on newegg and in reviews, this makes me very hesitant on going there. My headaches with nvidia video cards has driven me away from Nvidia chipsets and is why i use VIA. VIA has always treated me well with the boards I have used, besides the floppy raid driver needing to be to install iwndows. I will never forget my old computer shutting down and restrating juts like a phone hanging up lol. I called the place in new york and asked them to send me a 9200se instead of a fx5200 in return and it solved the problem aqnd i noticed so many differences which I liked, that is how i came to ATI as a customer, and my laptop wtih the 200 xpress chipset runs good. I have pondered that question about how much money for % of performance. I would pay more for stability than performance. I think the performance would have to be considerable for me to pay more. This kind of contradicts myself becaues I should have waited and bought the 3700+ instead of going from 3200+ to 3500+ however, it is noticably faster. I actually should have bought the 3800+ athlonx2. I wouldnt see the need to get the 4800+ nor teh 4000+, I think you would be just as good with the 3700+ or even this one really, like with the athlonx2 my logic would be for a high end woudl be to get either the 3800+ or 44 or 4600+, I dont really think getting the top one is necessary.

Here are the prices from pricewatch below

$780 - athlon 64 x2 4800 dual core
    $625 - athlon 64 x2 4600 dual core
    $490 - athlon 64 x2 4400 dual core
    $395 - athlon 64 x2 4200 dual core
    $315 - athlon 64 x2 3800 dual core
    $1000 - athlon 64 fx 57
    $795 - athlon 64 fx 55
    $325 - athlon 64 4000
    $325 - athlon 64 4000 90nm rev
    $275 - athlon 64 3800
    $289 - athlon 64 3800 512k 90nm rev e
    $212 - athlon 64 3700
    $218 - athlon 64 3700 90nm rev
    $200 - athlon 64 3500
    $200 - athlon 64 3500 939pin
    $200 - athlon 64 3500 90nm 939pin
    $200 - athlon 64 3500 512k 90nm rev e
    $153 - athlon 64 3400
    $139 - athlon 64 3200

as you can see the prices I wouldnt justify spending the differences from the top from the third or fgourth from the top. 325 from 212 I wouldnt spend that much more for the 4000+ i would get the 3700+ personally. the 4400+ i would buy that as my high end x2. For twice teh price I would expect twice the performance lol.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I was thinking more along the lines of 2.9 but remember how long it took me to move my venice to 2.753 Ghz. LOL

I don't seen any reason to push things until I've done a good burn-in.

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

At 2.7 ghz I think that ship has sailed. Burned in and ready to go.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You have to remember that I also look for ways to increase my memory performance. I've already been able to boot beyond 2.8 Ghz but when I ran RB/CCE it crashed. I will not give up a command rate pf 1T but if I went to 2T it would be a piece of cake.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  8. brobear

brobear Guest

Looking good Soph... Dual Core? New Harley? Dual Core? New Harley... The decisions a man is faced with. LOL The wife would have some serious complaints if I turn up with both in the same year. ;)

Guess we'll just have to hang out and talk tech until something new happens. We know AMD has the best "mousetrap" for now. Looks like the ball is now in Intel's court. I'm wondering if the new systems will be all they're said to be. We should be able to tell by this time next year. I'm almost glad I don't need a new PC right now.

All this talk of heat; I've seen a lot of Intels and yet to see one in stock configuration overheat unless something was wrong with the setup. The worst I've seen was a 2 or 3 year old Celeron from a dusty environment with a bunch of smokers. If you've ever opened a case where smokers reside, you know the problem. Even with that mess, it wasn't overheating. I cleaned it up, but I'd only gone in to switch out a bad disc drive. On several occasions I've left my Intel encoding overnight and it wasn't smoking in the morning, typical off the shelf "Intel Inside".

I sometimes wonder about those web product evaluations. I see the ones for CPU uggrades for both AMD and Intel. Going from a smaller CPU to a larger with Intel, I've noticed complaints of higher heat, not overheating. Usually a better fan and/or heatsink are all that's needed. Anyone ever stop to think the one installed was adequate for the initial setup. Putting in a higher capacity CPU can entail needing a better heatsink and fan, no mystery there. That's like the OCers needing to improve the cooling as the speeds are pushed to the limits. We all know AMD runs cooler and part is probably due to running at lower speeds. However, I've not heard of any stock Intels being recalled for overheating problems. Those higher heat situations are supposed to be part of what is being addressed this coming year. I'm just waiting to see what is delivered. Those familiar with the Pentium M are aware that Intel knows how to do it. The question is what tack they will take with the new processors? We've heard the rumors, I just wish the delivery could be sooner.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What's need got to do with it. LOL

This is the reality: Intel chips are hot because they're pushed to the limited and they leak voltage. AMD's are pushed just as hard. Clock speed is no measure of how hard a chip is pushed, voltage requirements are. AMD chips have lots more headroom and remember they perform 4 operations per clock cycle while intel chips perform only two.

I think that Intel squandered their opportunities with the Pentium M and let AMD move ahead. You'll notice that the top clock speed for a pentium M is about the same as it is for AMD chips.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

mrpsych
    We know you're trying to write a book for us, but we're more interested in seeing those benchmarks. ;) So far, we've seen none from you.

We know Intels run hotter than AMD, old news. Some people have heat problems with AMDs, even though as a rule, AMDs run cooler than Intels. Some people just need that liquid nitrogen. Build any system that doesn't cool properly and it will overheat, that is just the way things work. We all know that for comparable CPUs (not comparable speeds in GHz) the Intel with the higher clockspeeds need better cooling. So far you've told us Intels run hot and Intel uses unfair trade practices. Notice, I put all that in one sentence. I don't mind a little speculation, but it's being taken to the extreme here.

Sophocles has only recently started building custom AMD systems. Before that he was building "Intel Inside". Even with his OCing, we didn't hear that much about overheating. He knows the effects of heat and kept his systems within the limits and kept enough fans and adequate heatsinks. Ask him if overheating with Intel is an issue if one uses adequate cooling (and I mean air cooling unless one is really pushing the package to the limits).

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Soph
    Seems you posted as I was doing the last one. Even though you're a new AMD convert, did you have overheating problems that couldn't be fixed with adequate cooling for your Intel builds? I suspect, according to rumor, the Pentium M will be revisited.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  12. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

Here are my results
    I scored 9325MIPS and Whetston FPU/iSSE2 3503/4536.
    memory bandwidth i got 5495/5455
    I dont know how to put a screenshot in here.

3dmark05 cpu score of 4599 and 3dmark05 video score of 2029.

aquamark cpu 9899 (lost 1000 points) total score 40,148 (lost 3000)
    GFX 5037.

Everest Home edition latency memory score of 32ns.

And the newest version of pcmark05
    it is comparing a pentium extreme 3.4ghz with 9800pro ati card like mine
    THE cpu score is what I like.

My cpu 4701
    pentium extreme 4410.

my system 3dmark 1827
    pent 2727.

cpu running at 2.24ghz.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  13. brobear

brobear Guest

mrpsych
    I noticed you mentioned have a problem doing screenshots. We went over the steps on "how to" earlier in this thread. If you have problems, go back and read from about pages 38 through 41, the "how to" instructions are there down to online hosting. Appears you haven't read much of the thread at all. When you get the knack of it, then post the screenshot of your bench. I'd still suggest you use the P4 3.4 and 3.6GHz processors for comparison. Just to make sure everything is as it should be, include the AMD 3500+ from the Sandra list.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2006
  14. brobear

brobear Guest

mrpsych
    I edited my last post for your benefit. It tells you where to look on the "how to" for screenshots.

By the way, the Sandra math and memory benches will be sufficient, along with the CPU-Z screenshots. Soph has been doing them, just follow his example.

All that's missing from this shot is your CPU. [​IMG]

Looking at Sandra scores, I couldn't find a 3500+ for the comparison. Maybe a newer version will have it.

15. nesh02

nesh02 Guest

i just wanna know how to detect that my processor has hyper threading. i know i am using p4 with 512k cache but i wanna know how to detect my processor is having ht technology. i got the com from my uncle without knowing the specs so if anyone can help me, please do

16. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

I have read them, just a lot escapes memory. I am going to redo them anyhow the scores were not up to what they usually are.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

nesh02
    Sandra will list it in the Information module for the CPU and/or mainboard if it's turned on. Even with an OEM board, the BIOS can toggle HT off and on. I flashed my BIOS and had to turn HT back on.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

mrpsych
    Strange, they shouldn't change that much. Even with Norton's Internet security suite and Systemworks running in the background, my benches are near what Sandra has listed for my system. Well, when you get it tweaked to where you want it, come back and give us the screenshots for Sandra and CPU-Z.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not in great favour of overclocking, although seeing the particular benefits in the past few pages, I may change my mind :)
    In reality, I see little point in spending twice as much money to go from say 4200 to 4800. It just makes you someone who wants someone else to do the hard work for them, at an extensive cost. Worst thing is, it's not even hard work.
    But on the intel heat issue, it's not a problem with severe overheating stock, but as far as I'm aware, Intel Dual cores have 130W TDP and X2s 110. Let's say there are 3 billion computers in the world. 1 for every other person (I know in reality it's vastly skewed, but you get the idea). Suppose 1 in every 50 of those is a dual core. Seems reasonable. That makes 60 million dual cores. Now, if they were 50/50 split, that totals about 7.2TW TDP i think. If they were all intels, it goes to 7.8TW, and if all AMD, 6.6.
    That's 1.2TW difference. If these are, on average on for 8 hours a day for 3 years, the total increase in energy wasted is 1.2 billion x 8 x 1096 = 10521.6GWh
    Sorry about all that maths.
    This means that Intel's dual cores could be wasting half of that (assuming we have our 50/50 split)
    Over 5 Terawatt hours. That's a lot of energy to waste. In fact, it would be 300 million 100W light bulbs for an entire week, therefore enough to illuminate a big city for a week. All this energy wasted by inefficient CPUs.
    Well, that's that off my chest.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Now, can you give us an analysis on energy conservation relative to those guys driving Hummers as compared to the guys in a vehicle like the Prius? ;) I get more upset by getting hosed at the pump than what little my [bold]individual[/bold] little heatpump Intel squanders.

Sophocles
    I fear you're being a bad citizen with all that wasted energy with OCing. Hadn't quite thought of it that way. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.