1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgana3

morgana3 Guest

So, if what I am understanding, AMD should be able to encode and burn as fast as Intel. I'm about to buy my first AMD (4400). My boyfriend has it and so does a friend of mine. They both have started with the encoding and burning of DVDs. My friend said it took him 4 hours to encode and burn The Fantastic Four. My boyfriend said it took him 2 hours to do The Longest Yard. They both have 3500. The longest it takes with my little old 2.8 Celeron is 40 minutes. My new computer will have to be able to burn DVDs, download files, upload files, work on WordPerfect files. I do the first three constantly, so it sucks when I have stop uploading and downloading to work on DVDs. Sometimes I just work on the DVDs on the weekend, but that also sucks, since it piles up during the week.
    I'm ordering my computer this week, so if there really is a major difference I need to be concern with, I'd like to know. These two are so "PRO" AMD, getting a bias answer is impossibe. Be fore I forget, no, I don't plan on playing any games.

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I see it as want over need. Just like having a [bold]129W[/bold] RMS 4.1 HiFi/Surround system as opposed to using low wattage speakers. Now how about those using CRT’s instead of low wattage LCD’s? One wants a higher quality sound over tinny speakers and one wants the fastest CPU over one that just gets the job done. :)

3. brobear

brobear Guest

... and how bout those guys using 60 watt light bulbs instead of 40 watts?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As for the 129W sound, I very rarely have it above 1/3 volume since my room is too small. We have small house, therefore use less energy keeping it illuminated/heated. I am currently even using a laptop to speak on this forum, (although that's for a different reason), so it's mains draw is below 150W. Our main TV is now LCD anyway.
    And I don't have a driving license, so that counts me out on the biggest energy use of them all.
    And so what if i want a faster CPU? Surely if I have one that does the job twice as fast as one that uses 80% of the power, it is used less?
    And I certainly don't leave my PC on overnight, transferring files. I have done, but very rarely. I could count those occasions one one hand.

5. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

morgana3

If your using DVDshrink to encode for 40 minutes then my 3800x2 does it at 8 minutes.
    CCE/rebuilder takes just over an hour for 2 pass.
    You need to indicate your encoding program of preference.

You can also get similar results from a dual core Pentium D.
    It is just preference. Dollar wise you can get a little more speed from AMD right now. You also get more headroom for overclocking if you like that kind of thing.

With dual core you can pretty much do what you want at the same time. The only recomendation is a different hard drive for the OS and encoding.

7. 64026402

64026402 Active member

mrpsych

You are a little closer. You need to put you image on a web site like Imageshack then paste a link to the image on your post then put the img brackets before and after.
    It is truly simple. No cost involved.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The speed of an encode depends on whic application you're using to encode with. A 2.8 Ghz celeron isn't going to encode RB/CCE in 40 mintues, in fact not even in two hours. The X2 4400 is faster than most of what Intel has to offer at stock speeds, but overlcocked it beats just abut everything.

How true that's why I went with a 400 watt RMS surround speaker system.

9. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

awww, i was at imageshack and i probably followed the wrong link.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I would prefer screen shots of CPU-Z and that image is a bit small to read.

[​IMG]

Now that's better. LOL

BTW, that chip easily overclocks to 2.7+ Ghz.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  11. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

that utility lets you adjust teh multipliers as well and change memory speed and alter thermal stuff as well as changing the name of the processor. I changed the AMD 3500+ into my personal name once lol and in windows system properties under processor it listed me lol. it is free and it causes no problems i have used it for years. I think as well what may be the reason behind the loss in numbers on benches is I have all 8 of my usb ports used and just added an external usb notebook drive i took out of my laptop and had other stuff running in the background. But, I still beat out the 3.6 in some of the marks.

12. 64026402

64026402 Active member

[​IMG]
    This is my first free imageshack host.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

I have several apps running as well when I did mine. I had Zonealarm security suite and AnyDVD to name two. I've used the application that you're using and it's all right but CPU-Z is more stable, and it has become the standard for that type of application even at High tech sits such as Anandtech and tomshardware.

I'm not a believer in software over clocks, I'm a set it and forget in the bios over clocker.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Hey Soph,
    A 2.8GHz Northwood will do a 3 pass encode in about 3hrs. Not too shabby. I wonder what my new 3.4 will do with 2 gigs of PC3200C2 (2-3-3-6). The memory may not help that much in the current system, but it's a good start on parts for my new build later. The extra GB can't hurt. Plus, I still have my old 1GB of memory to use as an extra. Seems I'm getting a small parts inventory now.

mrpsych
    Try using the setup described on pages 38-41 of this thread, it works good. I even circled the final link you need in imageshack to put in img brackets. Follow the directions correctly and it works every time. You can ask theonejrs, if you need proof.

15. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

that central brain identifier programs to the cpu directly. It doesnt install like regular programs, you just download it and take the shortcut to desktop and send file to folder. It programs the cpu. It has never caused any problems for me. But yeah it wouldnt be wise to change things that would create problems because you could harm your computer because of it. I on my old computer that I had an MSI i burnt the bios chip because i adjusted the memory to i forget i think 1.5 latency with it. Back when I had my 3000+ barton core I was able to cool the cpu 15C using central brain by going to thermal and enabling "halt state" because on the bios on the MSI board it didnt hagve Halt state to enable, but central brain did and it worked good.

16. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

Check out this site: http://cbid.amdclub.ru/

you can see the registers and such on AMD processors. He has other tools too. My name is on the site, i have 2 processors that are on it :)

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

You don't install CPU-Z either and it also connects to the CPU-Z in the same way. Overclocking features I don't need because I prefer to do it manually in the bios.

The problem is that it's over two years old and my current CPU was only released a few months ago.

18. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

cool. YOu go to the site, you can see some screennshots of overclocked AMD processors. I thought he had one up there that was near 4ghz but i guess I was wrong. I dont notice any performance chage on my computer so the bench score is not a problem. I one time how i overclocked my pc successfully, is, I went to the bios and i made my 400mhz ram go to 333mhz, and then I locked the pci/agp and then I stepped up the cpu bit by bit and then uped thermal a bit. I did this until the memory in Everest Home Edition when i tested it memory bench would state that my ram was pc3200, when this happened my cpu clockspeed was i believe 2.55ghz. Right now, Everest sees my ram as pc3300. Abit lets me overclock from the desktop which I like too.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

I stand to be corrected, my version was older, a more recent version that I just downloaded is working just fine.

Unless your motherboard doesn't allow for it you really should do your setting in the bios.

20. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

scored 9325MIPS and Whetston FPU/iSSE2 3503/4536 last night, I am now running at 2380mhz and my memory is at 3500 according to Everest. I just scored 9897MIPS/ 3713/4811 on sisadra. That is a pretty good improvement. I went and let the guru overclock it to 'turbo' and I see that it changed my vcore from 1.44 to 1.60. My temps are good, I have applications that take 100% of my cpu and I have them running to see what my temps will go to and it has hit the highest ever at 62C. It is a considerable boost. 29.9ns memory latency by Everest and it says pc3500 ram. I hit 65C top which is not bad, but I will slow down the machine back to its slight oc that it runs normally on. AMD told me that they cannot actually prove that people have overclocked their cpu. I called and asked a questiona bout a cpu and the tech support told me that, which I was surprised he would have let me in on that information.

I could push the envelope, My computer is right beside my sliding door to the balcany of my apartment. All i have to do is open up the sliding door and let the cold winter air in and I could get higher. I like this foxconn tooless diabolic case, it is a real good thermal design. I think I am going to do that, it is like nature's cooling lol, because it is quite warm in this apartment because of all the surrounding apartments with electric dry heat.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.