1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

Using that CPU I scored this running past 2.7 Ghz stable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

This is where I am now.

[​IMG]

3. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

NICE!!! I am going to open up my sliding door let the cold air in and see. What did you change the thermal too? did you lock the agp/pci? would I be wise to lower my 400mhz ram to 333mhz and then up it so i dont harm the ram? i have kingston valueram. I noticed guru changed my vcore to 1.60v when it oc'd to 2.380mhz.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

Lower your RAM to 333, lower your clock multiplier to 10, lower your Hyper transport to 4X, lock your PCI to stock speed, raise your ram voltage to 2.7, raise your CPU voltage to the first setting just under 1.5. Now slowly in increments begin to raise your memory to 270. You should be able to raise it to 250 right away. Also set your command rate to 1T instead of 2T.

Although you are reducing your specks they'll come back as you increase your memory speeds. For instance at default your memory is 200 Mhz times Hyper transport of 5 equals 1000 Mhz. Now with your memory raised to 250 Mhz times a Hyper Tansport of 4 still equals 1000 Mhz, but your CPU is faster, and runing at 2.5 Ghz.

In the event that your system should fail to boot. Power off and remove the little circular silver battery for a few seconds and it reset your bios to default. Whether you succeed or not is going to depend on the quality of your RAM but 2.6 Ghz is a no brainier even for budget RAM.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting that you can best a (in the UK) £700 FX-57 with a £150 3500+. That really is amazing, and shows what little difference there is between them. Is the 3800+ the best overall X2 to overclock because it's slower anyway and therefore cheap, or is it better to do the 4200 or 4400?

6. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

Kingston memory has a good reputation, would you agree? I have read companies who have overclocked ram and they stated Kingston went 100mhz over bewfore an error. I will do what you stated. How are your temps? You have air right? I see, why that would work, because of the memory controller an hypertransport being on die I would be overclocking them too so i want to lower that like in the ram so as I up the cpu the ram will go back up to its regular speed. would this be correct?

Ok, i will turn ram to 333, then change multiplier to 10, I will select 'fixed' so it wont go 6:2:1. I will change the core voltage to just under 1.5 (1.44 is now) change hypertransport to x4 and then, slowly in increments step up the cpu frequency. What increments should be good? 5? I will try it out :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2006
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I used the stock heat sink and fan that came with my 3500+, my idle temps were around 35 degrees celsius and under full load they never went higher than 49 defrees celsius. Trust me with this CPU heat won't be a problem.

Increments of 5 are ok until you hit about 260.

8. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

cool, mine are usually idle at 41 and max at 54. right now, i have set on the bios cpu core at 1.475 but everest sees it as 1.52v. Normally it is at 1.1-1.44 anyway. right now it is at 2.3ghz and I am going to step it up another 10 after. I have changed the command rate to 1 and ram is now seen on everest as pc3100, i changed ldt well i guess that is what pheonix called hypertransport to x4 and i fixed the ratio. So far so good, and yeah i changed the multiplier to 10. Now, could you use that speed by default? As long as the temps are good? And if the motherboard does go, you can reset the cmos take out battery so if you send the motherboard back they wont be able to find out you overclocked it? here is the link for the cpu-z screenshot

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=35122584/a=41431148_41431148/t_=41431148

So far so good, central brain identifier identifies this cpu as a 3863+ rating prating. the temps are good, it is runing now at 2.43ghz and the temp at full load right now is only 55C and the cpu vcore is 1.52.

i improved the sisandra, follow link above, i scored 10109MIPS and whetstone 3793/4920.

everest say si have pc3200 ram now, and i lost a little latency 52ns from 32ns on average but nothign i notice. it is running smooth.

i have just gotten to 2.54ghz!!! running smooth. What i did was, i went from 333 and moved ram down to 266, and now my hypertransport is back to whewre it was 1022 so now, I think i may take teh hypertransport move it to x3. Everest sees my ram now as pc2700. temps are good, and central brain identifier identifies this cpu as a 4012+!!!! and my temps havent broke 57C yet.

9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

mrpsych
    Be carefull. The K8t800 chipsets have problems with onboard sata when OCing. You may loose a partition. Not a problem if using a card or IDE.
    The Sata OCs with the buss. No lock.

10. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

Highest stable overclock achieved is 2.45ghz (did make it to 2.54 prior).

Blue screens from antivirus 2.47ghz and up. First problem occured when attempted 2.65ghz, booted at 2.57ghz but blue screen at logon.

Right now it is working great and is rated as a 3873+ 10182MIPS sandra (highest achieved 10550).

Now, i have it set at:
    Ram speed 333mhz (everest sees it as pc3300-normally at that speed when in use)
    hypertransport speed 980mhz (normally is 1022, but 980 is no big deal, 20 off 1000 is not a big deal)
    cpu core 1.475.
    Multiplier is 10x and 4x for hypertransport.
    It is fast! this is a good speed and i like it, and plus the ram is now at the speed it has always been at pc3300.

I have read reviews and most of the reviews I have read have ran into problems at 2.55ghz for this board, so I guess I kind of replicated their results lol. I thinkI will program my AMD cpu as a 3800+ with my central brain identifier :)

no temperature over 57C :)

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

So I see that you made some improvements. I've only ovlerclocked the new AMD cores with boards that have Nvidia chipsets.

12. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

Abit is good :) I have an AV8 3rd-eye with the K8T800pro. I think the person who stated about sata being overclocked too was right and probably is why i have never broken 2.55ghz. I have just programmed the processor string with the central brain identifier tool :) so now windows will say I have a 3700+ :) I am just going to lower the clockspeed to 2.40ghz and leave it at that. i may lose another 20 or so on hypertransport but that is no big deal.

now i have it at 2.41ghz and central brain identifier sees it prrating of 3818+ and hypertransport speed of 965mhz. I have my sliding door closed and it is warm in here and my temps never went above 57C which is really good.

Now, is there a speed of the cpu that windows would have a problem with? I am aware of the sata and that is probably what was behind the antivirus error with mcCafee and the blue screen.

Maybe the cool'n'quiet did it? could it be possible that the throttling could have evoked the DEP shut down?

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

At 2.4 Ghz you there a strong chance that you might be able to return the hyper transport to 5 times which means you actually gain in memory speed.

14. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

1200 wouldnt be too much?

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

It might be for your system with those settings but I was thinking, increase the clock multiplier to 11,memory back to 400 from 333, and then up the speed to 225. I hit 240 stable with those settings (CPU clocked to 2.64). Front side bus will be 900 Mhz and then bench it for quality.

16. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

guru overclocks it that way but it moves the voltage up to 1.60v. On turbo. I will try 219x11

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Alright, sounds like we have another 3500+ success story!

18. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

i set it at 400ram 11x 219 2.41ghz and x5 hypertransport. It is running cooler actually the temps are in the 40's now. Sandra benched at 10070 and the hypertransport is at 1096mhz. seems this is the better setting.

19. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

To the guy asking for the link involving Intel possible claim of putting the memory controller on the cpu die could be true.

I truly think that Intel has some tricks up it's sleeve for 2006 and it has too really to satisfy botht the Mac and windows fans. No one will be happy with the new Mac's if intel processors are less than the G5 standards. Plus Intel leases SSE technology to AMD so if AMD does have a patent on memory controller on the CPU then I wouldn't be surprised if it also leases it technology to Intel. I truly doubt that AMD owns this patent though.

Also does anyone know if Fuel Cell will be in any consumer Computers for 2006 and beyond?

20. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

Hypertransport.org holds the patents for hypertransport that was created by AMD. The requirements for using it is a payment to become a member of the organization that Apple belongs to, Nvidia uses it, ATI uses it, AMD of course and a few others. here is the link to the site http://www.hypertransport.org/ hypertransport.org is a nonprofit organization actually, I think texas university is where it is held I could be wrong on the very lsat part.

I would like to see AMD buy liscense from ATI for the quadchannel memory 256bit memory interface. Wouldnt this make a difference with the Athlon x2's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.