1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

rick5446

There's a big difference. Hyper threading is the ability of a single processor to run two separate threads at the same time by allowing the second thread to run on the unused processor cycles. But in hyper threading if you were to use all of your CPU resources then there's nothing left for a second thread and hyper threading becomes ineffective.

Dual core processor have two completely separate cores on the same chip. If you happen to use a CPU intensive single threaded application the other core is free and still available to run another application where Hyper threading would have nothing left to give. Hyper threading is good for multi tasking single threaded CPU non intensive application, but dual core is able to multi task single threaded CPU intensive applications.

To sum, dual core is a whole lot better than hyper threading.

Applications don't necessarily have to written to benefit from hyper threading, as long as the application only uses a portion of the CPU then there's room for a second CPU non intensive application to use the remain unused CPU cycles (resources).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  2. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

Is it a compiler that Intel uses to assist in teh running of paralel instructions? That would be the second logical processor?

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

Hyper threading is part of the processors physical design, only the operating system has to recognize it. All versions of Win XP does, and windows 2000 Pro does.

4. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

Oh, I was under the impression that part of it was software and the other part was the hardware that worked in conjunction. It goes to show how one can be correct on a part of the same topic.

I like hypertransport based on its invisibility to the operating system. I read somewhere (i forgot where) that AMD didnt go the route of hyperthreading because of their coming out with the dual core. I think it was on one of the tech news mags that are online.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

Hyperthreading is good for office workers who use word processing along with maybe another application such as excell. But for itensive uses such as encoding it is ineffective.

Hypertransport is somthing that is completley unrelated to Hyperthreading. Hypertransport describes an on the chip frontside bus and memory controller, which is unique to AMD.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thank U all,I've been seriously thinking of buying a new 3500+ dual pross

7. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

www.hypertransport.org is the site for hypertransport. A nonprofit organization holds the patents for it. I believe companies pay for a membership into the consortium to be able to use the technology.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

9. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

Thanks for the link, I didnt know that the xbox used nvidia with hypertransport.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

Not too surprising considering how closely Nvidia and AMD have been working together lately.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

I would have replied sooner, but I'd taken a break and the thread appeared to be getting back on track. Now that we're starting to talk about console games... I don't even mind a good rant as long as it pertains to the subject matter and as long as the person isn't constantly repeating themselves. Why write a line when a page will do? I've noticed at least that mrpsych is being a bit more concise. I'll try to be more so in the future.

12. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

It depends a lot on the subject matter. But, one can link many ideas to a topic, much of what is linked is subjective. Like, a map is to a territory -territory is experience and map is representation of it- this would be taken from hayakawa. Now analogous to computers, hardware is to experience as software is to representation. See they paralel each other. Now, hardware vs corporate there is a connection, and they both at the abstract level compete vs each other as well and is abstracted from the object teh hardware. Language signifies the object and the object is the signifier, words are self-referencing and so therefore a discussion is not anything you 'can point to' but the hardware 'you can point to' any discussion is abstract. The way you view what is said is different often the way another one does especially when it comes to what is related and what is not. It goes to show that there are many different ways to come and think about one issue or topic.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Most certainly but that doesn't mean that their are many different outcomes, when only one can be true.

14. mrpsych

mrpsych Guest

True. However, how one perceives the outcome can be different :) but the perception is the abstraction and the outcome would be the objective. In Lacan's idea of 1) image 2) symbolic -language represent the object self referencing 3) The Real- what we cannot conceive in language. Now, in between there is the unconscious the language that we fill it in, 'the gap'. Other and is only what is matched from within the self. If anyone wants to learn pscyhology for next to nothing, you can read some Buddhist literature becaue a lot of the Buddhist ideas are used by Freud and Lacan and others. The idea that you are who you were and how you create teh future from the present is a topic of the same nature. www.questia.com the library it has a lot of online stuff you can read and you can copy paste it to your desktop. I think what they do is they take stuff that is now in the public domain and they put it online. "The Path of the Buddha" is pretty interesting. it was written by 12 buddhist scholars and translated into order only by the editor back in 56, but they had a lot of insight to science and especially psychology lol.

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sophocles

So what’s the latest on your new build, any new Sandra benchmarks for CPU and Memory, stable settings? Some momma don't know money is buring a hole in my pocket!!!

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mrpsych

You can't apply metaphysics to technology and hardware, one is conceptual abstractions and the other is concrete matter. LOL

Now lets get back on topic, or you can take these thoughts to the safety valve forum.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ScubaBud

LOL. It's already burned a hole in mine and the chard ashes are causing an itch in my underwear. I just ordered two sticks of these so new benches might take a couple of days or so.

It's a good thing the wedding vows stated "for better or for worse."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145594

18. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I think 12 buddhist scholars are compiling more test results for Sophocles machine.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

They had better get there before my wife does, or the only thing that we'll be compiling are my remains for burial. LOL

20. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.