1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 64026402

64026402 Active member

You may be able to use clockgen to set the bus speeds, depending on your chip set. You should be able to find out in Sandra.

2. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

wow! see what i miss when i try to take a nap!

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Yep, snooze and you lose. ;) This time Creaky got to carve another notch on his ban button. Being a bit more serious, we appreciate your and Creaky's intervention here. That incoherent psycho babble was one of the more annoying and distracting things I've seen in a while.

4. 64026402

64026402 Active member

If msvp had a point every 1000 words or so it would have been nice.
    He couldn't spell or proof read his own posts and ran everything together making it hard to read.
    I'm surprised the posts weren't all caps.

Brobear,
    You mentioned that the 3800+ x2 wasn't low end. It is only 50 dollars more than the 3.4 northwood you just purchased. Pretty cheap for a dual core.
    A 3.0 dual Pentium D is only about 300 dollars also.
    Granted neither are a Celeron. Thats low end.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You know, I was thinking just the same, one step away from ALL CAPS. I must admit, I'm excited by the prosepct of a 3400 Northwood. How much better performance can you extract from them than the Prescott?
    Second, does anybody here know what an Asus A8N-E motherboard is like to customise?

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Ok, quick question here.

My next system I plan on building, will be based of that X2 3800+ CPU. But, looking at the specs posted by Distorted's CPU-Z shots....I am confused.

I am looking at: Core Speed = 995.5 Mhz?? Core multiplyer = 5x, and Core Voltage is only 1.1v? Is that acccurate? I thought that CPU was 2.0Ghz per core as seen here: (those specs seem awfully low, and I've yet to see an AMD core run on such a low voltage before)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core
    Model Number: 3800+
    Frequency (MHz): 2000
    L2 Cache Size: 512KB x2
    Socket: 939

Edit: If my math is correct, the multiplyer should be 10x X FSB of 200mhz to equal 2.0Ghz core speed???

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I thought so too, 2x 2.0Ghz.
    Mysterious, but no, go for the 3800+ X2. Fantastic CPU.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Next time Darthnip

mrpsycho left here and went to DVD hounds and started contacting me through the webmaster email, I go hit with 7 emmails last night and they were all like the posts here. He won't be emailing anymore though.

I saw those specs on distorded X2 and I see his problem, he has the [bold]clock multiplier set to 5.X when it should be set to 10X[/bold] expecially since he's running his memory at default. He's underclocking it.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Donald
    It seems I was even lucky to get one at all, much less that cheap. Dell wanted over $700 for their Northwood 3.4GHz CPU. The Pentium D 830 is right on pricewise and performancewise with the 3800+ X2; $335 and $322 respectively (that's with the comparison Sandra bench and prices at Newegg). Intel offers a lower performance processor and both Intel and AMD offer better. I could have bought a respectable processor in either brand for little more than I paid for the CPU I got. I went over that with Sophocles. Then I would have had to have a new mobo, case, power supply and possibly some other goodies. I'm just doing an upgrade for now. As I mentioned earlier, I want to see the new offerings over the next year before committing. Now they're talking quad-core CPUs and even better memory offerings. ;)

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles,
    Since Distorded's PC is an HP with an OEM (locked) board, there's not much he can do about it. He's factory underclocked. That sounds bad, locked and underclocked. ;)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

"mrpsycho left here and went to DVD hounds and started contacting me through the webmaster email, I go hit with 7 emmails last night and they were all like the posts here. He won't be emailing anymore though"
    Oh god, I can imagine it. I don't like to speak ill of people, but what a prat.
    And yes, that X2 is seriously underclocked, and would probably barely outperform a P4 2000. Oops!
    I think memory should be the next area to get worked on, as in a year we've made a performance type leap equivalent to 1Ghz and graphics power has increased massively, but memory hasn't changed much at all. Since Vista will support upwards of 128GB of RAM, and I see any more than 4 slots unlikely, in the not too distant future we'd have 32GB memory modules, so surely it's reasonable to ask for 2GB sticks soon?

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

Unless you can set it to manual the CPU determines the clock multiplier and the motherboard responds automatically. I think that the motherboard is sending CPU-Z the wrong information. I checked his bench mark a few pages back and that's about what you would expect from an X2 3800 at defults speeds.

[​IMG]

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    That's what I didn't quite understand. I'd looked at his Sandra bench and it's actually a little better than the one stored for comparison. I pointed that out to Distorded. I can't understand how he could be doing it with a seriously underclocked system. You're right, the CPU-Z reading looks suspect here.

For a good comparison, he should have used something like the selections I have in this screenshot. The stock Sandra comparison of his CPU and since he wants to compare to Intel, the comparable items. I noticed the 830 Intel is the closest in price and performance. I'm not sure what the companies are saying, or the forums, I was just doing a comparison from Sandra and online sales. The old style of going 3800 AMD is comparable to 3.8GHz Intel just doesn't seem to work here.

[​IMG]

Note in the example above the 830 and 3800 are most comparable. The one in Distorded's bench is outdoing the 840 I have selected in the Sandra comparisons.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2006
  14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Duplicate

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The Intel 840 is more expensive than the X2 3800, it should be compared in price to the X2 4400 and the 840 is a little more still. But you're right his benchmarks do beat the Intel 840 so he has nothing to complain about.

Price from zipzoomfly (I buy from them occasionally)

840 price
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80832

X2 3800 price (more than $200 less than the 840)

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80721-1

X2 4400 price

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80726-R

The X2 4400 is lower priced than the 840 and it would beat the 840 without being overclocked, but over clocked it would slaughter it and even compete with Intels latest dual core using 955 .65 nm.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

I just threw in the 840 as the next Intel step up. Pricewise the 830 is about $10-$15 more than the X2 3800 (which I just pointed out a post or so back). I just put in the one below and the one above in the Intel series. I didn't even check the cost on an 840.

17. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

To Everyone,

If you look closley at my CPU-Z specs at the bottom it shows core 1 and a drop down box for core 2. It reads each core seperatly. So that when you combime them it equals 2.0 ghz with a 10x multiplier. remember its two cores not one. That old single core stuff is oldskoll. j/k \

Brobear:
    I did do the the test you recomended you must have missed it. I think it is on the previous page.

Morph: Those specs are correct but multiply the voltage by TWO.

Sammorris:

I do have four RAM slots that support up to four gb of it.

If anyone wants me to repost the CPU-Z specs with core one and core two let me know.

Here is the first one for now.

[​IMG]

18. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

Brobear I thought that I had posted the test you recomended but I guess not, sorry. So here it is in all its glory.

[​IMG]

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Looks like someone needs to tell SiSoft to upgrade their Sandra bench comparisons. Your 3800 smoked the one they had for comparison. Wonder how that happened with a locked board? HP must have figured out how to up the performance somehow. ;) I already pointed out the stock comparisons and yours is beating the 840 instead of comparing to the 830 and stock 3800 on the Sandra benches. In fact, that bench you have is slightly superior to the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ X2 that Sandra has for comparison. That makes it even more interesting as to what HP did with that stock board.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Distorded

That's wrong, each core should hit 2000 Mhz. I have an Opteron 175 which has a clock multiplier of 2.2 Ghz, just above yours. My clock multiplier is at 10 times 270 which brings it to 2.7 Ghz for each core.

Look at my scores and my clock multiplier times the HT clock.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.