1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Your CPU benchmark speed is right, but the info of 5 times 199. somehing that equals 995 per core is wrong. Your benchmark speeds however are right!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

where do I get this Central Brand Identifier?

3. brobear

brobear Guest

The download for the Central Brain Identifier 7.70 Build 1220 R4 is http://cbid.amdclub.ru/files/cbid77b.zip . The home site is http://cbid.amdclub.ru/ . Does that ru stand for Russia? If mrpsych is an example of their membership, sneak in quietly and leave the same. LOL Don't let anyone follow you back here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2006
  4. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

I think I figured out why my CPU-Z scores came back the way they did. Take a look at this img.
    [​IMG]

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Distorded

I think that your system is working fine but your bios is feeding back the wrong info. If it ain't broken then don't fix it. LOL

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Lets take a look at the Processor page along with that.

I definitely agree. It would probably slow it down. ;)

7. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

This is looking more like it picks up more. Also I was reading about cool and quiet and have heard that this will cause CPU-Z to give back false readings.
    [​IMG]

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Below is the same image on my system that you gave with a similar processor, can you see the difference?

[​IMG]

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Oh Sophocles... what was happening with that link? LOL

10. brobear

brobear Guest

If the HP system is messing with CPU-Z, then does that mean that it could be causing the abnormally high performance readings on Sandra?

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

The readings aren't abnormally high they're right on depending on the quality and make of ones memory.

12. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

I ws sitting here watching CPU-Z and it jumped up while opening limewire. So the cool and quiet technology AMD has is giving this false but at the same time true reading.

[​IMG]

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    Not terribly different, but abnormal when you consider it is outperforming even other AMDs in the same line that cost more; at least according to the benches anyway.

14. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

Take a look at this AMD program i found. Does this say anything?

[​IMG]

15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Your processor is reading accurate. With cool and quiet on an E6 core the speed and voltage will auto adjust way down and pop up to full speed as needed.
    Run cce and cpu-z. The reading show go up to normal during encode.

I don't run cool and quiet. It is defaulted off on most aftermarket boards but on OE it is on normally.

The new E6 core 3800+ X2 is a little faster so I hear. I have the E4.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I have a question for all. I've been looking into buying a cooler for my CPU. I looked into Zalman (thanks to Sophocles) and discovered a model CNPS9500 LED. It has a copper heat sink and 6 interconnecting heat pipes that go into a condenser layout and 2 92mm ball bearing fans with blue LEDs. Even with 2 decent sized fans, it runs at 27.5db which should be a great improvement over my "Stanley Screamer" Prescott. I want to use it now to try and tame my 3.0/800/1024 P4. I've been playing with my manual overclock settings and so far it will run with no glitches up to 3.73 (does this mean that my memory is fairly good?). The problem is that it will only idle or run programs with low CPU demands. Any heavy CPU load and the Asus bios shuts it down because the CPU has exceeded 70C. I'm not about to risk the CPU by raising the CPU temp limits.

I figure that if I buy it now and use it on my P4, then switch it to my building 64x2 4400+ which I ordered the case, 1 Power supply and 1 Raptor 150 today. I'm going to use it in my P-4 to get a feel for the difference in performance when I install it in the 4400+. It works on both sockets 478 and 939 so no problem there. Then when the new machine is nicely tuned, I'll restore the settings on the P4 to 5% with the stock Intel cooler and put it up for sale.

I really gave some thought to buying the Opteron 175 but if I spend any more money right now, I'll divorce myself! Besides, Sophocles and I would be popping the circut breakers attempting to better each other's benchmarks! Another $1000 or so, and I'll have a monster on my hands. I'm starting earlier than planned because I found out that the main benefit of giving up driving is that your wallet actually has money in it the day before payday. I bought me a Razor E200 electric scooter to get me to and from the train so my monthly transportation costs are only $218. I used to spend that in 2 weeks. Some guy told me that an old guy like me looks pretty silly zipping down the sidewalk on a scooter. I just smiled as I counted the extra 100 or so dollars I save (and put away) every 2 weeks.

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks Donald. Does the variation between the E4 and 6 account for the difference in the Sandra comparison bench (more than likely done with the E4) and the bench done by Distorded? That's a nice improvement, going from the performance of the 3800 X2 to better than the old 4000.

18. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I figured something wasn't quite right....but yeah, Cool N Quiet will do that. You'll also find those with laptops seeing the same kind of results, asking about why this program only shows their system running at half the speed they knew it was supposed to be.

It didn't even occur to me that you had that option running when you posted those benches.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

theonejrs
    You're not stable, so that really doesn't say much about anything. What memory are you currently using in your PC? Sophocles is taking his nap and I've not heard from the Donald in a bit. When they get back on, they may have further comments for you. From what little I know, you're supposed to up the settings till it starts to become unstable and then back off to the stable setting that won't overheat the components. The Zalman will help, but will it be enough and soon enough?

I don't know what you'll learn, except that a good cooler will help on anything you're pushing to the limits.

20. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The Zalman is a big HSF and can big problematic to install if there isn't a lot of room.
    If you enjoy spending the time then try it out. If quick and easy is what you are looking for then reseach the tests for HSFs on the net to find the best compromise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.