1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Brobear,
    I actually thought you did the right thing with the upgrade. The old mule has quite a bit of life left. When you pay the Harley off and build an extra machine you can pick from all the neatest technology thats coming out this year. Should be fun.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Donald
    I remember your commenting on that. I appreciated the input.

As for encode times with RB/CCE I could probably do them quicker if I wasn't being so fussy. I could back off from 3 passes to 2 or even One Pass VBR (w/analysis). That would probably get the RB times in the 2 hour or less time frame. I think I'll run one just to see what happens.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Not really, they've both the same core design. I could easily increase my core and test to 2.8 and do a quick benchmark. That's not quite a burn in but it works for a moment. If I ignore my memory performance I could hit really high marks on my CPU and if I ignore CPU performance I can hit really high memory bandwidth marks. But the marks that I'm looking for are the ones that can be replicated in everyday use, stable, the modality.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To Sophocles,

I bow down to the shrine. At least until around summertime. He He!
    Awsome numbers! 6402 ain't doing too bad either!

theonejrs

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

He never does and he always makes sure that I know. LOL

In the end it's all about your stuff.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Doing things as many people do, encoding with RB at 2 passes trimmed the same movie, "Skeleton Key" down to 134 minutes and that was while surfing and doing other small jobs on the PC. I had about 5 or 6 windows open most of the time. Does jdobbs say the 3rd pass isn't really that helpful? How about one pass VBR? I know, it's slightly off topic, but it pertains to the real world processing ability of an Intel. By the way, how many passes are being done when Sophocles does an 80 minute encode?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2006
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's been a while since an encode has taken 80 minutes (even 70 minutes)but I will clear this mystery up. The number of passes depends on the size of the movie. If it is a small file sized movie then I use only two pass, but if it's a large movie then I'll use three passes. But if I were to use several passes with CCE I would average about 5.8 to 6.2 encoding speeds.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Next Post!!

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles,
    You've really bought and built some bragging rights. Enjoy the moment. How long before the advent of the new mobos with improved memory handling, and improved chipsets and processors? There's an army at work in R&D trying to make your system obsolete as soon as possible. Unfair, but they're hard at work and you're outnumbered. ;)

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Did I forget to mention that I have my memory settings at 2-3-2-7 1T.!

And I have somehow lost my manners along the way?

Hmm! Well maybe, just a little bit.

I grabbed the first new Venice core when it hit the market and then I shot my mouth 0ff about it. Donald immediately jumped aboard and grabbed the cheapest version of the Venice series and then later grabbed it's dual core equivalent, the X2 3800 for $400. I've been tagged to that thought for some time while watching the prices shift If you don't have the money to spend on dual core, then 6402's the right guide.

The Opteron dual cores were too expensive when they came out and so were the less expensive X2 "Toledo" cores.

Rumors have hit the net, that the socket 939 Opteron's are being discontinued. Dual 939 core Opteron's were beginning to become the fan chip of choice because of their over-clock-ability. Now they're being dumped. The latest major socket 939 release is going to be the FX60. It's a Toledo core clocked at 2.6 GHz and it sells for $1399. I have an Opteron that has easily clocked beyond that same chip for less than $500. No wonder they're removing them from the market. If you want an Opteron, then buy one now for early high speed dual cores results, or pay more when it's re tagged.

11. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

Wait till you see this.

[​IMG]

12. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

Hows that for an HP/Best Buy purchase? Was it worth my thousand bucks with a f1905 monitor and a free all in one printer?

13. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

Here is My multimedia.

[​IMG]

14. KoOkOo67

KoOkOo67 Guest

Can anyone tell me how intels Centrino processor competes with the AMD 64 and p4\d\m?

I'm looking foward to buy a new laptop, buy most of them are either Pentium and Centrino. Centrino bothers me bcause they are soo low in GHZ.
    The laptop im am looking foward to buy is from COMPAQ, its an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ Laptop. 1gb of memorry \ 100gb HD, cd \dvd burner and a 128mb ATI radeon Xpress 200M IGP graphics.
    [bold]1299.99[/bold]Canadian. I dont know about you but this sounds like a bargan.
    The ther one is from Sony Centrino, 100gb hd, 512mb memory, graphics media accelerator 900( i think its built in). Centino 1699.99( I think this is overprices, but This is why aam asking.]

Please can someone tell me which would be a better choice? And why the amd64 or Centrino is better.

I also have some ideas about AMD's future processor to compete with (the upcomming[if comming] P5.(p5 as code name)

I'm thinking that they *might* release a 128bit AMD processor to compete with the P5. I find AMD 1 or 2 steps ahead of Intell at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

Centrino is a combination of Intel technology, not just the processor. The manufacturer has to include certain chipsets along with the Intel processor to have Centrino on the PC. There's a list of requirements Intel has for a PC to be a Centrino, you can look that info up for the complete story. You can often find PCs by the same manufacturer with the same processor at a lower price, without the Centrino label. The Pentium M used in laptops is similar to AMD in that it is more efficient and runs at lower clockspeeds in comparison to the P4s. You can still get laptops with the higher speed P4 processors, but they are usually for desktop replacement use and they don't have very good battery life. These are usually better for multimedia and gaming.

Interesting that you're talking about comparisons of products that don't exist. No P5s to date, so how could AMD compete with a nonexistent piece of technology. Intel has been keeping their tech designs more in house of late, so it's getting harder for writers and consumers to figure out what's coming and in some cases the architecture of what is currently on the market. The industrial spies aren't talking either. ;)

16. KoOkOo67

KoOkOo67 Guest

Thats pretty intrusting, ill do some more research b4 i buy the product. I'm intrested in the gaming computers, but I'll also need one next year for University.

I was talking about 1-4 years from now. And they are predictions.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

For an "off to school" rig, you may want to think about a few things, especially if you're going to live in a dorm or where space is at a minimum, like a small apartment. You can get laptops with TV tuners and remote so you can catch the shows. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=iXM140S1&s=dhs

These are listed as the requirements for Centrino, but Intel can update that for newer models.

Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology

Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology is designed specifically for mobility with integrated wireless LAN capability, standards-based security support and low power enhancements to enable extended battery life.

With Intel Centrino Mobile Technology, three components are tested and tuned as a single unit to work together and deliver outstanding mobile performance for a breakthrough in freedom and connectivity. Intel Centrino Mobile Technology includes the following three components: Intel® Pentium® M Processor
    Intel® 855 chipset family
    Intel® PRO/Wireless network connection

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

An A64 3500 in a laptop for that money is superb. In fact, the whole lot seems ludicrous value for money, especially when compared to the other option.
    It's a shame about the opterons, but then we still have the X2 series to mess about with, do we not?

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Lets not forget the dual core Centrino laptop. They have a 2.2 coming out. It should be fast.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well yes but at what cost?
    I wouldn't argue with a 3500+

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.