1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

thanx for the info brobear, i always thought that was how it was, so does that mean intel has been around longer, or was just introduced to the market better than AMD was ?

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Or is Intel in more "pockets" then AMD? <G>

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

Scubabud
    Both recognition and in pockets. That's business.

Phantom69
    Both companies have been around since the sixties, but Intel has been involved with the consumer market much longer and by doing such has the higher recognition in the marketplace.

4. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

thanx for the histroy lesson bro-bear, i genuinly did not know all that, thanx.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Now if I could just remember where I put my shoes or something else as equally important... LOL You're welcome Phantom.

6. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

im going to bed now, see ya brobear and thanx again.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, yes my capabilities don't span far outside the computer world. Guess that makes me a geek then. Oh well, win some lose some.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

De nada Phantom. Later...

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Update on the Zalman cooler. It seems that the thermal compound I used needs a little time to fill in all the little gaps between the CPU and the cooler base and get a good bond. This morning I encoded a DVD and the max temp reached was 6C less than it was last night when I installed the cooler. I used a thermal compound that is 10% silver and it is now working better than ever. Now the highest it gets using the burn in wizard in Sandra is 52C. I am a happy camper!

I'm going to try the fan control on the 120mm case fan and see what the temps do as this fan is pretty loud. My airflow is so good that a piece of bond paper will stay sucked to the air vent holes on the right side of the case. My case temps have risen about 3 degrees so I guess that the CPU cooler is removing a lot more heat than the old one did.

Again, many thanks to everyone in this forum for their help and advice with this problem.

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

Update on the update. Hooked up the fanmate 2 to the 120mm chassis fan and set it at it's lowest setting. Much quieter and the temps only increased 1 - 2 degrees. This is still much lower than when it was running at 3.0. If you have a Prescott and want to OC, then this cooler is a must have. The quality is outstanding and the installation is a snap! In reading the reviews on it several people mentioned that the noise level was too high. I don't know what they were hearing but this cooler is almost silent at 27.5db at max rpm!
    theonejrs

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Was that mysterious thermal compound Arctic Silver or one of those other brands? ;)

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If it is only 10% silver then it is one of the lesser brands, Arctic silver3 5 which I use uses 99.9% pure silver. It's about $15 for a small tube but I've built 5 systems in the last 4 months using it and there's still plenty to go around. I apply it to the surface of the CPU core and work it in until it has a nice thin layer coating it and then I do the same to the heat sink.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,
    I didn't mean to make it a mystery. No, it isn't Artic Silver. I got it from a friend of mine at Siemens who told me that this was the best Thermal Compound available for heat sinks, etc. I've been using it for a couple of years without problems. This is the first time I ever noticed that after 8 - 10 hours it worked better and the temps went down. I've been much more carefull this time because of the 20% OC and watch the temps like a hawk. Sorry about the confusion. Usually I just use it and forget it. It has a bunch of stuff on it about wattage, thermal conductivity and thermal resistance.

I forgot about your post regarding my bumping it up to 3.70. I tried it this morning and it runs fine. It's just the temps are higher when encoding than I like to see (68C) but it no longer shuts down. I encoded a DVD with those settings with no problem but I'm going to leave it set at 3.60 and be very happy with the performance gain I've gotten. If I want to do any more fiddling with it I'm going to have to buy some better quality Cas2 memory. My Sandra numbers are right there with yours, except in memory bandwidth as the memory is only running at 320. It's still noticably faster than it was before. If you ever OC your 3.4 check into the Zalman 9500 cooler. If you have the room for it after you remove the fan duct (easy) then the existing fan becomes a case fan. Dell can be kind of strange when it comes to motherboards and cases. I've done it to a few with other coolers and it seems to work fine. In the past I have changed the stock Dell fan for a higher performance Thermatake, usually something in the 50+ cfm range.

theonejrs

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

For those who might be dropping in on this thread let me say that Arctic silver 5 is the undisputed best, more silver equals greater thermal transference. That's the reason that it is the number one choice of high tech sites such as Tomshardware, Anandtech, overclockers, sharky extreme, and others.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

As you guys know, I've been trying to find the perfect balance between CPU speed and RAM speed. Although encoding is faster at higher CPU speeds memory shouldn't be overlooked because it also plays a part in encoding and a major part in multi tasking. I've dropped my CPU speeds a little (2.67 GHz) and really tightned up my memory speeds. 2-3-2-6 1T, completely stable. Here is the benchmark result.

[​IMG]

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sophocles

Is this what you're going to recommend as a final setting or are you still in the tweaking stage?

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

scubabud

Still tweaking. I'm either going to have to get another board with better chip set cooling or start moding this one. I do have another fan but a heatpipe would be a better solution. The reason I haven't been able to get the CPU much past 2.7 is because the A8N-SLI Deluxe Nv4 chipset is overheating, the fan is crap, so I have no clue as to what the limits are. I must however note that I have nothing to complain about with what I'm getting right now, it will beat any stock dual core made regardless of price.

17. Triock

Triock Guest

Yo everyone.. Whats up?
    Well I Am going to get a Raptor HD.. Doesent need to be big at all, Just want it for the performance gain... The least i found a 36 gig was like 100.00 or somthing.. And i dont know if it is normal, But I am running at 40.C And i have an after maket hinksink on it... My dad took what was preapplied on it, Plus some crap he had and smotherend the cpu?
    That could be why it is running soo hott right/... I know i always ask questions, Sorry... ... ... BTW: I Ran Sandra and i can beat a 2.0 gig pen**** D 3.0!! Well thats what it said... ... ...
    This is my heatsink.. .. .. ..

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21979

Thats funny, Cause i paid double for that like 4 month ago!! LOL

Thax For the help...

Casper

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

Like I said, I've had it for a few years. It may have been the best at the time thet I got it. The guy that gave it to me is a computer tech for siemens business systems attached to one of their Dental companies (Pelton & Crane)in Charlotte, N.C. I never paid attention to anything other than the initial temps because I never overclocked before.

In the past I would install a new CPU and check the temps running the CPU at full load. If they were good, I left them alone. If they weren't, I installed a better cooler. Usually you could only access them in the BIOS anyway unless there was a problem and then you would get a quick message and a shutdown.

theonejrs

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Arctic Silver is good stuff. My installation method is a bit different than Sophocles, but I get a good seal between the CPU and heatsink. Using the Arctic Silver Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier, I make sure I have a clean mating surface. Alcohol and acetone work as well, don't use any petrol based cleaners like WD-40. Then I spread an even, thin coat of Arctic Silver on the CPU mating surface. I suppose I would go with Sophocles method of both surfaces, if there was any doubt about the mating surfaces. His method would insure better coverage with small irregularities.

Some time back I learned that the thermal compound will be well applied with just a thin layer to the back of the CPU. On my recent "clunker" upgrade I used Arctic Silver. Unknowingly, I installed a P4 Prescott that isn't supported by the Dell OEM board in my PC. (No info on the OEM board, I wasn't the only one in the dark.) When I went to put back the original CPU, I noticed the bond was so good, it pulled the CPU out of the ZIF socket. No Soph, it wasn't the adhesive, it was the 5. ;) Even spreading the compound thin, the close fit pressed the compound and forced the excess out so a small ridge of compound was around the outer edge of the mating surface of the CPU. Later in the week I observed the same when I went to install the new 3.4GHz Northwood processor.

Like most people (read instructions after job completion or screw up), I later read the instructions from the Arctic Silver site. The installation instructions for AS5 is different from some compounds due to its composition. Instead of a thin layer on the back of an AMD or Intel, they suggest a small amount about the size of half a BB on the center of the CPU mating surface and letting the pressure fit to spread the compound outward. So with 5, neither Soph nor I were following instructions. However, I did use the edge of a credit card to smooth the "Silver". Those annoying card applications with sim cards finally have a use. LOL

Here's the link from the Arctic Silver site on the "how to" of thermal compound application; even a "why" or two. [bold]Note for the novices: the application method varies for different compounds, even those that Arctic Silver has developed in the past. And for those of us who know better... go ahead and read the instructions first. LOL[/bold]

The Arctic Silver link: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2006
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol. Oops!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.