1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

All,

Just ordered 1 gig (2x512) of Corsair XMS Cas2 memory from Newegg. $100 with free shipping. Next time it's on sale, I'll get another gig.

Cheers!!!
    theonejrs

2. kronos288

kronos288 Member

Hey guys, is it worth buying the A8N-SLI deluxe, se, or premium instead of the A8N-SLI? Or what's a good board for overclocking thats mid range in price?

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

What you've ordered is enough for your system, but an extra gig is fun. LOL

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

kronos288

Thanks for wanting every possible permutation. LOL

It depends on what your most recent future plans are. If you're a serious gamer then go for the a LAN party board or a more sensible board such as the A8N32-SLI but if you just want a system that can do everything for a good price then go for the A8N-SLI Premmium (Note that the 32 in A8N-(32)-SLI identifies a different board.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

baltekmi
    I'm your huckleberry. ;) In the interest of harmony, I'm willing to help as well. If it's benchmarks you want, we can suggest sites that have been doing those in detail. For reliable testing you need controls not available on an open forum so widely dispersed with such a variance in equipment. If you want to discuss systems or hardware, Sophocles is knowledgable and I'm sure we can persuade some of the other members to help out. So, what can we do for you, is there anything you would like to discuss about AMD and Intel systems?

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

baltekmi,
    Your first post was abrasive. It was meant to inflame. You were successful at doing so.
    If you truly wish to participate in this thread a simple heartfelt apology be the place to start. I assure you, the offers of help are genuine.

Anyone wishing the debate or have fun with the guys can do so even without a lot of experience. But some respect is necessary.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I have a question for all.
    I'm moving and the DSL has been shut off. I am using a wireless device instead. It will work for a while and then I get a message "FAA Radio Switch Off" and it stops working. Anyone have any ideas? I could understand if it was FCC but not FAA. It was working fine for the last 2 weeks.

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

What wireless device are you using. My backup internet is a Sprint Samsung i500 phone.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It's a blitz USB device 802G. I ran Spybot, AV and AdAware. So far it hasn't shut down today.

theonejrs

To all,
    Well that mysterious thermal compound I used seems to do better as it ages. I ran the Burn-in Wizard running the math test over and over and the temp got to 58C. When I encode it gets to 52C max! Works for me!

theonejrs

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  10. crowy

crowy Guest

I've got a amd athlon 1700 running on a K7s5a mainboard using Honeyx bios.I have had it since 2002 and has been running overclocked(1.667GB)
    since the first week I got it.Still does everything I want.No extra cooling required.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2006
  11. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Hell I put together a computer with a used cpu and heatsink. I reused the old compund on it it sats at 41 c under load oc to 2.2. Its a amd 3000+ Top that..LOL!

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

crowy

Eyes are not the only place that fingers can go. LOL

[​IMG]

If you're happy with a horse and buggy then I'm happy for you too, It won't play the latest games or even use the latest cards but it will word process and surf the net.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ozzy214,

Easy!!! I'm running a P4 3.0/800fsb Hyper Threading Prescott, overclocked 20% (3.60). With the stock Intel cooler I could only run it at 3.45. Then it would top out at 68C so I'm very happy with 58C while running the burn-in math test repeatedly at 100% cpu usage. Intel Prescotts are known for being frying pans! Once my new Corsair XMS memory gets here, I'll see if I can up it some more. Asus tells me that the max with air cooling is 30% which would be 3.90. I'll be happy with 3.75

theonejrs

14. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

thanks for the support. I am sorry for my outburst, but people get so tired of the abrupt answers and like we should know what you are talking about. I have a fair amount computer knowledge i feel better tan most.but there is tons i do not know. what allthat aside, thanks
    I will put it all on the table wheather this is the right forum or nor. help if you can, redirect to where i need to go. i will write right back with it all.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

baltekmi

Ask your questions and we will try and answer them, sometimes frustration gets the better of us all.

16. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

No I was just simply stating the temp while at the same time reusing the old paste. And not using new stuff like I should. That was my point. Two this system was built for just that. Surfing and office work for my parents. My gamin rig is my first comp in my sig...the athlon 3700 with 6800gt vid card. Now im pissed. I paid 350 for the 6800 and now I see 7800 gt for the same 6 months later. Bah humbug.

But still the temp is impressive since I reused old stuff and not new compound. Amd rocks while intel slowly creaps itself to death...muhaha!

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ozzy214,
    That is impressive. AMDs are definately the best, at least for the near future. I'll be building an Athlon 64x2 4400+ around early summer. I'm going to use the Zalman cooler from my P4 in it. I'll have to use my PCI 5200 video card for a while but that's o.k. You're really going to be pissed when I tell you that Newegg had your brand of 7800GT on sale last week for $269. Since I'm going SLI, I need to buy two matched 7800s at the same time. I like XFX cards so I'll wait for a while and see where the price settles out. Hopefully under $250!

theonejrs

18. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Oh damn. How bout those dual gpu 7800 all in one card for roughly 500 with it's own power supply. Imagine two of those in sli?? Hell just one of those and you wouldnt need a sli setup!

19. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

ok here goes i built this computer about 1 year ago. This is how it stands
    abit 1c7-g (478 platform)
    intel 3.2 prescott (air cooled)
    sound blaster sb audigy 2zs 9400
    1gig mushkin extreme ram
    ultra connect 500 watt ps
    and bfg6900ultra 256 vid card (425mgz clock)
    i run it non overclocked.
    have 3dmark05 of5386
    idles at abot42c and runs up to 56 to58 playing far cry prince of persia and f.e.a.r.. running all grapics at full. it never cuts out or hangs.
    my question is this: is that a good score for the 3dmark?
    2: how do you feel about muskin ram?
    3:snd not a question, but i think maybe1 of my week links might be the power supply..YES/no?
    4: I would like to over clock, but every time try it knocks the sata drive off, (which my os is on) and just reconizes the pata drive.
    oh yea using western raptor 36 on the serial side and maxtor sencondary pata. hope i have given enough info to start. thankyou.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

For those wondering about power supplies, here's a handy calculator program that goes by system components. http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    If you don't see your vid card or whatever, select the one most similar to it. A good plan anytime you're doing calculations for a future build is to allow yourself room for expansion and a comfort margin above the total system requirements. For instance a 3.2 Prescott at full load can draw close to 100watts and an Athlon 54 3400 can go close to 90 watts. Then you figure drives, cards and anything else that might draw on the system to get a picture of what's needed. Some of the high performance systems with a lot of features can be real power hogs.

Baltekmi
    That should help you answer your question on power, plug your components in and figure the maximum draw that could happen. Consider parts that may not be on the list that could add a draw. Your power supply would be more than sufficient for most systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.