1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Novicebb,
    There is no need to be insulting. I'm not looking for some dummy, I'm looking for someone that has a need for my particular spec. I know it's not a perfect machine but it is a better than average 3.0 P4. If you check my previous posts you will see that my benchmarks bear that out. Also I did not offer it for sale in this forum. I was simply asking to get an idea of it's worth. Newegg has a number of P4 3.0 machines that offer a lot less for $1000 or more. It's a good machine that OC's to 20% without much trouble.

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

aaddaam

You can't judge a machine by its processor speed alone, that's what Walmart does. You have to take into consideration the motherboard and how upgradeable it is. personally if it were mine I'd keep it because it would be worth more to me than to a would be buyer because I would know what it's capable of. And it's always nice to have an extra machine to pull some of the workload from my main rig.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I went into the setup, chipset and discovered the following
    DRAM CAS# Latency 2.0, DRAM RAS Precharge 3.0, DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 2.0, DRAM PRECHARGE Delay 6.0 and DRAM Burst Length 8.0. You told me 2,3,2,6. Which of these is relevant?

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

4. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Wow that guy got rude and only a slap on the wrist. i got tared and feathered.all joking aside, i'd like to se him buy one for 200!!!
    anyway putting the os on the pata drive will not mess up any thing i'v allready have on my computer? any i should be able to switch drive to boot from either one..huh interesting. one question though?? will i be abal to use my same coa? i belieave i should it's only for one machine? thanks

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair baltekmi, he wasn't as blunt and unhelpful as you were, but I'd rather we put that behind us, now. Forums are are indeed not for selling things, merely for discussion, questions and to an extent, conversation (albeit not idle). Asking how much you feel something may be worth comes under questions, but selling something doesn't, that's basically how it works.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Here's my old memory bandwidth at 3.60
    [​IMG]
    Here's the same with the new memory and settings
    [​IMG]

I included the memory settings for both memory. I did a little bit of searching on the internet and set the memory settings in the bios. That's where I got the 2 2 2 6 setting from. I tried locking the memory at 400Mhz after I finished the settings but the computer would not boot. Would you suggest backing down the fronside bus in small increments to see if it will become stable and boot? Or would you recomend relaxing my memory settings, say to 2.5 3 3 8? I'm trying to find the right balance between cpu speed and memory speed. By the way, I am using the Manual settings in the bios, not the 20% automatic.

theonejrs

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonjrs

That's a significant gain, but you will really see it grow when you go AMD because AMD's handle memory a lot better than Intel does.

8. Triock

Triock Guest

Completely of topic i know.. But where should i put my thermal sensor for my computer?

Thanx, And nice to see everyone is still here! :)

And i have herd that on toms Hardware, they used a 3.6 and did a test over and over again, And the stats got worse and worse.. Because of the heat with the stock heat sunk and fan.. :0 Is this true info?

Thanx again,
    Ryan

9. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Yes. The more a chip heats the paths start to expand and resistance starts to grow..thus you lose performance. The best place for a thermal sensor is right smak dab between the cpu heat sink and cpu.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

I finally figured it out. I was trying to use the thumbnails. Here's my Asus Probe under full load.
    [​IMG]

These temps are running the Burn-in Wizard math test continuosly at 100% CPU load. I think the Zalman 9500 is a winner!

theonejrs

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  11. afire77

afire77 Guest

Hi Sophocles I am new to this and was wondering if you had any advice about switching from a 2.8HT p4 800 mhz fsb to a AMD 3700+, would I see a differance in gaming and overall performance for my computer? Please help...

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

afire77

Hell yes!! Overclock it and you'll think you just dumped an old celeron. LOL

13. afire77

afire77 Guest

SOPHOCLES....THE SYSTEM I CURRENTLY HAVE IS A 2.8 P4 HT , 160 GB HDD , ATI X800XL AGP, THERMALTAKE SOPRANO CASE 430 WATT PWR SUPPLY , 1GB PC3200, HOPING A SWITCH TO AMD WILL GIVE ME THE WOW FACTOR ....

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

afire77

Unless you're angry for some reason, drop the caps. The 3700 at stock speeds would wipe out your 2.8 P4 and would give you a sginificant gain in frames per second. Overclock and it'll make your system look like a dated laptop.

15. afire77

afire77 Guest

lol sorry about the caps

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No problem I didn't think that you meant anything by it.

17. kronos288

kronos288 Member

Hey guys, 3700+ or 3500+? Its like 10 or 20 dollars more. I know that the 3700+ has 1 mb cache, but doesn't support dual channel. Does the 1 mb cache beat out the performance of dual channel mem controller?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sohocles,
    I finaly got the the pci bus locked and have been bumping it up slowly testing playing games etc. Heat seems to be a non issue with my p-4 prescott. I am up to 3.6 now and temps are about 41 idle and gets up to abot 55-57 full load. But now i am getting a drop out every once and a while playing games. are there any more tweeks that can be done?Mushkin extreme perfomance dual channel ram
    Frequency: 400MHz Latency: 2-2-2 Parity: Unbuffered

Voltage: 2.5V-2.8V Pins: 184

Density > > > Module: 64Mx64 Chip: 32Mx8
    Abit ic7-g motherboard
    p-4 3.2 800fsb prescott

Dino your humble student

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Drop it to about 3.5-3.55 whatever is closest and run it a while and see how well it works.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

kronos288

Get the 3700 it has more L2 cache.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.