1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can barely keep up :D, Yeah apologies about the slightly snotty comment earlier sophocles, you're not someone I normally argue with at all, and you're absolutely right on the alpha pit that the other guy was.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes, LoL :^) been busy typing today, actually getting good at it (I'm up to 2 fingers now).
    I'm often out; today I'm 'in'. Running processes, doing ANYTHING on old PCs is just so slow, you forget how fast our nice new ones are.
    So I've been on the forums today...
    Hey I need comments on Readers' Choice thread:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/301990
    Intel P4 or AMD?

3. MESMD

MESMD Regular member

sophocles,
    I live in San Pedro, Calif.

Miles

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

MESMD

LOL. And I live in Florida, so it would make more sense to find a local builder.

5. afire77

afire77 Guest

Sophocles, let me clarify, that last post comment that you so rudely replied to was a review from someone else who actually owns an asus motherboard, I copied and pasted that paragraph from newegg, because I am looking to build another computer. I was merely inquiring as to how likely it was that an average owner would encounter said difficulty. Further, I joined this forum in order to learn. I do not need to be insulted, or misinterpreted.
    I would enjoy it I we could continue to learn from one another, preferably without the name calling and childishness.

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I missed all the fun.

By the way, Sophocles what motherboard should I buy next. An Asus or an MSI.
    Don't tell me Asus because they are really terrible. Hey I just answered my own question. I am an idiot.
    :)

Guess what my name is.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

afire77
    Now ain't that the pot calling the kettle black. ;) Sophocles was talking tech from a technical background and having used some of the components in question. Then you want to waste his time with quotes from people who haven't a clue about how to install an operating system and blame it on a mobo. You should have known enough about that if you consider yourself knowledgable enough to be building a custom PC. Rule one is to not quote people who don't have a clue as to what they're talking about. Questioning a person who has already commented on a subject using such idiotic quotes is an insult to their intelligence (let me add yours as well). Using such quotes brings up questions about your knowledge of PCs and the component functions. But then you say you're here to learn. I wouldn't be antagonizing the regular members if I were you, especially the ones most qualified to give you the help you need.

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

If you really want to know the correct choice, the Asus will always be an excellent choice for the advanced user. Asus is my preference.

Newbies could have problems because of the complexities of a high performance board.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    I can't install "Frogger". Does that mean the BIOS is bad and my mobo is shot? ;)

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

afire77,

You made no such inquiry.
    The post in question was worded as a direct attack on Sophocles, intentional or not. If the purpose was a mistake make a retraction and an apology. Then be more careful of such wording in the future.

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Since the quote denouncing ASUS mentioned Nforce as a primary fault then the quote becomes meaningless because both of the newegg boards afire was checking out were the same Nforce chipset.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

The first sentence was enough to destroy the credibility of whoever wrote that review. The rest of the post just added to the show of ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2006
  13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

afire77

Whether you copied and pasted it from comments made by others, or you wrote it yourself, no can know because you never quoted it and nor did you state that it was a quote.

You were aware of its contents and it was your choice to place it there without making other distinctions, and you are therefore responsible for its contents just the same.

To quote someone elses posted ignorance doesn't free you from it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  14. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I thought this was telling.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    afire did preempt that with "this is a comment off of a asus sli deluxe board owner." However, it still came off as an insult to anyone's intelligence, even his own. LOL

16. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The first sentence actually seemed to be directed at Sophocles since he is an Asus board owner.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I say let this die it isn't worth the trouble, and yes it was directed at me. I got annoyed because I've taken considerable time to answer all of afire77's questions and that was his response, it doesn't matter who wrote it.

The way the two come together also confuses whether it was meant as a sentence. Remove the question mark and then read it again.

After all how often do we see good grammar online?

18. 64026402

64026402 Active member

MESMD,

It is good to find a smaller computer store or individual for service and assembly. For custom builds the personal touch can be very important.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Now I've heard it all... accidental good grammar. Guess if you turn a bunch of monkeys loose with typewriters... LOL ;)

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

On a completely different note! I finished the old Northwood rebuilds. I immediatlely overclocked it by 10% and then decided to do an encode. I opened Asus tool to check its temperature and I couldn't believe what I saw. The CPU tmeperatures were idling around 18 to 19 degrees celsius so my first thought was that there was something wrong with the temp sensor. But then I noticed that the Chipset temps were completely normal around 33 degrees celsius.

I figured once I started the encode I would see the temperatures climb and they did to between 25 and 27 degrees celsius under full load, never higher but the chipset temps climbed to 38 degrees celsius. The heat sink and fan is an Vantec Aeroflow that I'd purchased in a clearance sale at a local PC shop for next to nothing but I never got around to using it until now. It has a solid copper core that runs through the center straight through to the top of the heat sink and it has a motorless fan. What's surprising is how small the heatsink is compared to some others that I've used, so it's good in a tight space. I'm still however suspicious of the temps.

http://www.datafuse.net/aeroflow.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.