1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afire77

afire77 Guest

I am saying it again I came asking for help and was not trying to antagonize anyone sorry. I asked questions and got called an bumhole.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

afire77

It was how you presented and displayed the post after all the time I spent trying to help you and at your request. But that being said it's behind us now so ask away but don't try to pit me up against a post by some idiot, in the end you're going to have to make the decision as to what you're going to buy.

I second your apology, calling you an a**hole was a little over the top. Hmm! Would you be willing to believe that it was really allhole? Well maybe not. BTW, it wasn't your questions that lead to you being all called an a**hole, it was how you introduced that post.

Now for your information follow the link.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/10/readers_choice_awards_2005_winners/page3.html

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    Those temps do sound a bit low. That is a good looking little cooler, but I don't see it as being outstanding. I suspect the difference to be more in the CPU itself. Still sounds a bit low though. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. I still have my 2.8GHz Northwood waiting in the wings. If I was to get a new board though, the 3.4GHz Northwood would have to be the one I put on it.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually it is a pretty outstanding little cooler, I think that it is beating my Zalman for cooling. And I think that there's a chance that the temps are real, because if there was a temp read problem it would have also affected my chiptset. Another contributing factor is the new Cooler master case I bought. It has an 80 mm fan in the front for intake and a 120 MM fan exausting out the back, a side air duct to allow the CPU fan to exaust directly out of the case, and a side intake duct for drawing cool air in. Tomorrow I'll check it out again and see if I can't discover what's going on.

5. MESMD

MESMD Regular member

sophocles,
    I would pay you to build and ship. I'm sure you really know and care. For sure, my system would be excellent.

mesmd

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Sounds like the well ventilated case may have a lot to do with it. Do you have a link for that case? That will probably be one of the first things I go shopping for. By the way, what is your favorite case? I like this Thermaltake,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133154

and this Cooler-Master.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119093

For a top end custom I'd consider the Cooler-Master, but it is a bit pricey. The mesh front and all the fans for ventilation look good. I'm not tied into any particular brand at present and a custom build is still a bit down the road.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

MESMD

I appreciate the offer but I'll have to give it some thought, however I'm going to put some feelers out and see if I can't get you a top notch trustworthy local builder, and we'll work the specs out together. Once my wife finds out that I've just purchased a 150 gig raptor I might need some medical advice.

brobear

What's interesting is that the case only costs about $60 (no power supply which will cost about $70 for a decent one) and it was one of the easiest cases I've ever worked with. Lot's of room to for getting your hands inside to work and it's a tooless design so once the mainboard is in the only other screws are the panels and the power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811119075

BTW, we need to start another thread for building.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Nice case for the bucks, nice anyway you take it. ;)
    I thought that was what this thread had evolved into. Should I change the title? We exhausted AMD vs Intel well before your psycho friend came along. LOL

9. brobear

brobear Guest

How does [bold]Intel vs AMD, custom buildng PCs[/bold] sound?

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

MESMD,

I live in San Bernardino, Ca. and ride the Metrolink every day. I suspect you are somewhere around 50 miles or so from me. If I can be of some assistance, please feel free to ask. If you are willing to purchase the parts, I would be willing to put it together for you and get it all set up on a weekend.

Sincerely,

theonejrs

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

MESMD

There's an offer that sounds good and theonejrs I think is retired as well and just to make it fun, we'll all get together and spec it out first.

We will need an operating budget.

I think that we can all agree to start with AMD except for possibly brobear or as we refer to him "Mr. what the hell own a Dell" LOL

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

As long as it makes sense and we setup a few basic guidelines we should be Ok, if not then we can alwyas continue off topic here. LOL

13. MESMD

MESMD Regular member

theonejrs,
    What a generous and nice offer!! sophocles and brobear... all you guys are terrific. Let me get my novice thoughts for you guys to fine tune, pefect, and then see how much the parts will be. I appreciate all your offers, help, support and time answering my questions, etc. i will get back to you in a few days, if that's ok?

Thank you all again,

miles

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

MESMD

At your leisure.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

No, I'm not retired. I just went back to full time work last November after spending 3 years of semi-retirement recovering from a nasty heart attack. I used to work about 20 hours a week before but when this job was offered to me I jumped at it as I knew that I could work the 40 hour week. I quit driving after Christmas and use the train to get to where I want to go. We can use our monthly train pass to go to L.A. and several other locations on Amtrac. My weekends are usually free as I rarely ever work them. With all the collective knowlege in this forum we should be able to build something really special for MESMD!

Sincerely,

theonejrs

16. L8ter

L8ter Guest

hi all when you get through w/ that one!

I've been asking for some advice here and there for a mobo upgrade!

for the time I'm being another what the hell intel kinda guy!
    (soph stop poking bearslol)

no I planned on purchasing this mobo cpu package http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4729619?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

which in my local was just today placed on sale for us$299 it's the same price as if I was to buy just the processor!
    so naturally ?'s regarding the board arose. so it was suggested that I ask here has any body had bad experiences w/ ecs boards or is this worth even trying??

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

18. L8ter

L8ter Guest

Thnx I will be giving them a look! is there a good site for (detailed)side by side comparison's as I want to compare to the p5wd2 to see what the 200$ difference is?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

L8ter,

I don't mean to throw rocks but the quality of ECS motherboards is very suspect. I've had several of them that I purchased from the same place (Fry's) as combos. Every one of them developed IDE controller problems. It took me 4 months to get a credit for a defective motherboard from outpost.com. Try newegg.com and try to stay with an Asus. As far as I am concerned, they are the best! Right now Newegg has several socket 939 motherboards that are refurbished, for very low prices. With the right CPU they will run rings around the Intel. Asus motherboards are a: outstanding and B:legendary for overclocking. Like I said, I consider them among the very best you can buy.

Sincerely,

theonejrs

20. L8ter

L8ter Guest

that third link is intriguing and makes you wonder about where the industry is headed to bad it will not support the presslers (I'm assuming) it states in certain terms that the support of the 90nm power hungry smithfield 800 series is questionable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.