1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L8ter

L8ter Guest

hardly throwing rocks this is the feedback I was looking for!

as far as dealing w/ outpost I've heard there return's are time consuming (to say the least)but not a problem for me I know several managers at the local warehouse here (notice I say warehouse)

so I'm kinda there when time permit's!

so have you built a d9xx system or two yet?
    any suggestions??

no flames but I really don't care for newegg and will be shopping locally!

2. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

WOW looks like a wild day.a fire77 really outdone me. pissed all off. Anyway my questions today:
    1: how do i get my status changed on here i.e newbie, sr member etc.
    2: More relavent...Asus motherboards are highly respected in this forum and is a proven product. I lean to Abit, only because I was lucky enough to have purchase one for the 438 platform using an intel processor and have had great sucess.
    Let it be knowed, i have never used an asus mobo.
    My Question is do you prefer Asus for the amd chip or both intel and amd?
    Right now i am real happy with what I got. like brobear said keep what you got hanging around until things settle down. I hope I got that right.
    I am really not looking to change any time soon as long as the newer software runs on my machine.
    BROBEAR... i love that moving bear..how do you do that??
    for what it is worth i may ask stupid questions at times but they seme relavent at the time.
    and one last retort: its my birthday today. I am a 59 year old computer addict that know a lot, and knows nothing!
    good night all!!!

3. brobear

brobear Guest

baltekmi
    You're never too old to learn until you think so (qualified as some people have health problems). ;)

The bear is simply a gif loaded in my sig.

Member level is by post count. Be warned, we don't like cheerleader types that post just for the sake of making a count. They're a nuisance.

Asus boards are enthusiast favorites, AMD and Intel.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    LOL Not too long ago I vaguely remember your having that 2.8 Northwood as your main squeeze. You remember, the one you were just bragging on for running so cool. Not all Pentiums were created equal. ;)

I bought my PC about 3 years ago, at the time AMD wasn't so popular. Luckily I got a Northwood on a decent board with the 875 Intel chipset, even if it is OEM locked. It doesn't hurt either that the PC in its present stock configuration compares to the high end single core AMD processors. On sale and getting suspected "pulls", I've found the 3.4 Northwood for $275. Regular retail is still running close to $700 and the Extreme Northwood 3.4 runs around $900 or more. These are just some of the prices when a person can find one. So, that's old tech and not something I'd tell someone to run out and get parts for a custom build. I like what I have, but I wouldn't tell someone to build a custom on this platform.

Also, as I mentioned on this thread; if I were to build a custom at present, it would be an AMD, probably an Opteron using Corsair or OCZ RAM, an Asus board, and the Cooler-Master case I listed earlier. Money permitting, I'd go with a Raid 0 using Raptors, and large WDs for storage. Is there anything like Intel's Matrix RAID for use with AMD systems? http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/matrixstorage_sb.htm

So, I owe no allegiance to either AMD or Intel. As I said, if I were to have a new system, it would be AMD dual core for a desktop and I like the looks of the Pentium Duo Core Centrino laptops. No matter what I get next, the Dell I have now will remain a backup unless someone cons me out of it. ;) Performance wise, the Dell I have is still competitive with the newer single core systems.

The Northwood is why I scratch my head and wonder where Intel went wrong. Fast and relatively cool. They had one at 3.4GHz with 2MB L2 Cache at 3.4GHz and an 800MHz FSB. (Too bad I don't have that one,) Only recently have the high end systems gone to a 1GHz FSB and with stock settings, some systems don't get there. That's old tech. Instead of improving, they've built some fireboxes. Only when confronted by AMD has Intel started moving in a more reasonable direction and started building more efficient processors with better memory handling.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On the topic of ECS boards, I know of a few people that have had bad experiences with them, but by the same token, I know someone who's had a bad experience with an MSI board (Complete failure), and another person who's had a bad experience with an Asus board (BIOS power interruptions - resetting). However, ECS boards generally are made cheaply, and they often suffer from things like noisy fans, or general not-working-properly-ness. I'd say stick with Asus, usually they're best, especially features-wise. You just have to know what you're doing, since tech support is kind of, well absent I suppose.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

L8ter
    The 920 Presler is a firebox. That said, it is manageable. For a dual core, (with my arm twisted double) I have to agree with Sophocles that the AMD is currently the best enthusiast CPU. I'd suggest a good cooling system and a well ventilated case if you're going with the 920 D. Asus makes a good board for the 920. No Hyper-Threading on the Pentium Ds till you get up in the high dollar range. The AMDs have Hyper-Transport on the lower end versions. Also the AMDs have more advanced media instruction. Add to that AMD has a better ability to handle memory. So with all the plus factors for AMD why go with a hot and less efficient Intel platform? The AMD is more OC friendly as well. The 920 definitely wouldn't be my choice for a custom build. I like the looks of the Opteron 175 Denmark. Since a custom will come in well under the price of a comparable retail PC, I wouldn't try to save too much on the processor.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, agree with all that. 175 or X2.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

For those that are considering running a couple of raptrors in a RAID 0 consider this. Recent test have shown that the new Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM is actually as fast or faster than two 74 gig Rapors in a RAID 0(I'm not sure I really believe this). Further more there are no speed gains to be had by placing two of those in a RAID 0 either. In my view the best bet is to get one of those for your main drive and then use another drive as a slave to store. The 36 gig and the 74 gig raptors were TCQ models and suffered from compatiblity with NCQ Hard disks but the new 150 gig raptor is a NCQ model just as my 250 gig seagate is so hoplefull the issue has been solved.

BTW, I can't say enough about this $60 Cooler Mater case I bought(no power supply). It's so roomy inside for a mid tower that mounting the mother board took less than 5 minutes to install (leave the power supply out until last). Usually when I buy a case they are always short on spacers but this one came with extras. The tooless desgin makes it easy to install the hard disk and DVD ROMS which just slide in and then are locked tight with a little sliding locking device. No screws installing PCI device either just socket them and lock them in. The only beef is fan noise, so get items with quiet fans.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

I've lived with noisy equipment for so long, it could sound like a small locomotive coming through and not bother me. ;)

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Another intersting point is that the front door on it is solid aluminum and about a quater inch thick, quite weighty for a door so I don't think that auto eject for DVD Roms is advisable, I've always hated the feature anyway because it places your drives in harms way, when it might open and you might be figiting around and accidently bump into it. I did that once with my sons PC and I knocked the tray right on to the floor. LOL

I was able to open the rom (needed ruberbands to hold parts in place) and I was able to repair it.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I had that problemish, but not with an optical drive, a USB cable coming out of the hub on my card reader. The plug is fine, but the socket isn't, and I don't really feel like going in there and sorting that out... Oh well, down to 6 then.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

One USB can run several items at once so you only really need a couple. I have 8 but I only use two. One for my wireless keyboard and mouse and one for mulit connector that has everything else hooked to it.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]AMD vs Intel, Building PCs[/bold]
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/302283
    The thread has been started as a place to discuss builds, lay out plans, discuss parts, get overclocking advice and the like. Users can ask about components. At no time though should the thread be requested to "dumb down". It's not intended to cater to novices with no knowledge of what it takes to build a PC. Everyone is welcome, but don't be offended if you don't understand everything or don't like the direction the thread may take.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2006
  14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So that's it then? 74 pages and this thread is being left to die?
    It was a valiant thread.
    The thread is dead, long live the thread!

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

LOL! Nobody said anything about leaving it to die we just saw a need for a thread that is dedicated to building and one where we don't have to explain why we're having discussions over the average users head.:)

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

OK, here is what I picked out so far. I have two Antec Cases now and love them both. This Antec II is a bit different in design and has a port to pull cool air from the outside with an adjustable vent. It has the ability for twin 120mm fans and does an excellent job with my boards currently. Willing to give it a try and can always use it on another build. Plus it makes it easier to swap out from one machine to another.

Sophocles, I know that a couple of the items listed below are used currently in your system and you have recommended them. Since I WAS an Intel guy before, I really want to know that if you had to do it once more, what exactly would you choose as your choice of hardware, memory combinations etc., knowing that going a bit more in cost would be OK, including the FX60 along with memory specifically for that CPU?

ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM ATX AMD MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131540

EVGA GEFORCE 6600GT 128-P2-N368-TX VIDEO CARD - RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130214 <-Not a gamer so maybe even less of a graphics card?

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ 1GHZ FSB SOCKET 939 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR - RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103544

or if I just click on it very quickly and tell my wife I made a mistake on the CPU choice…

AMD ATHLON 64 FX60 1GHZ FSB SOCKET 939 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR - RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103608

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 X 1GB) 184-PIN DDR SDRAM DUAL CHANNEL KIT SYSTEM MEMORY - RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145594

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136012

Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Computer Case - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sucbabud

Yes on the board, I'm thinking about buying one myself so that I can find a home for my venice core.

If you don't game then any decent video card will do for now.

You're buying higher than you need to, my Opteron is effectively an FX60 with a little more from overclocking for only $499.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584

I'm already using the memory so I'm biased. LOL

I just ordered the Raptor yesterday, you can find my post a few moves back.

I also have two Antec cases, a full tower and a black mid tower that's very much like the one you had the link for. But I just bought this one and it is far easier to work with than either of my Antec cases, has a completely tooless design, and it moves air from the front, back, and side. I've been looking at Lian LI cases but this is the easies case that I've ever worked with and I've worked with a lot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119075

brobear and I thought that we all needed a builders thread and here it is.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/302283

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

I don't know about you but I would rather have a complete failure of my motherboard than some niggling electronic anomally. Those kind of problems can have you talking to yourself, and getting answers! With the last one, (a socket 478) I set up the hard drive and installed XP Pro. It ran fine all the way through the install. Everything worked fine until about 30 mins or so went by. Then the sound stopped working when windows started and shut down. No big, I could live without that. After a couple of days, everytime I booted up the computer it would do a scandisk saying there was errors on the hard drive. After a couple of weeks it would no longer boot or if it did, I would wind up with the dreaded blue screen with a message about problems with the file allocation tables. I discovered what the problem was quite by accident rather than any technical prowess! I decided to try another hard drive so I re-formated the drive on that computer and removed it. I then put that still new drive into a customer computer where it refused to work at all. The system bios would not even see it. I ran kill disk and re-partitioned it and installed it in my present system and it works just fine and the bios now sees it. That's how I figured that the problem had to be a faulty IDE controller on the MB. When I had problems with the next drive I put in that ECS system, I installed a PCI IDE controller card in it and the problem went away. I sent the board back to Outpost for a full credit as this was the second replacement for the original. All in all it took about 4 months to get the full credit so I won't be using any ECS motherboards in the near future!

A side note to all of this. Since I still had a 3.0/800 prescott collecting dust, I was keeping my eye open for another MB. I happened to be at a place around the corner from me called PC Club. They were having a sale on Asus motherboards and I got this one for less than $100. Maybe I could have saved a few bucks by buying it on line but I was there, the price seemed right for the time so I bought it. It's now my test bed for anything I want to check out before I recomend something to my customers. For a P4 prescott, it's outstanding! I run the 3.0 at 3.60 with a 960 fsb and memory settings of 2 2 2 6 and it's as stable as a rock. It has both IDE and SATA that allow Raid 0 and Raid 1 function and outstanding flexabliity in it's frequency tuning so you can control every aspect when overclocking. It may not be the best but it's pretty damned good. If I ever find a 3.4/800 Northwood I may even upgrade it.

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

sophocles
    I was looking at the raptor 150. there are 2. one see through.
    am I missing somthing or is it you paymore just to have a glass window so to speak?
    Also if i wanted to add a second raptor to my sysem is it to late after the install add one and run it in raid 1 or 0?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.