1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I hope it is fixed now. sorry to all I did'nt realize I did that. or could do that. And notice I did not ask for help and found it all by myself cheers to me,lol. But i now know what i did to make that happen. well looks good to me now. But maybe someone can help me??
    I've always had to scroll a lil from left to right, is that the way it is?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  2. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

sorry agan

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It depends on your monitor size and screen resolution settings. I never have to scroll from left or right. Try changing your screen settings and you'll see.

4. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sophocles
    How can you get a 3.2 prescott to run at 3475 with a fsb of 267?
    I can do that but only get a 218 (873mgz)

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ScubaBud,

I have seen this problem before. It was with an ECS motherboard. The problem was with the IDE controller and everything hooked to it. It took forever to boot! DVD Shrink took about 1 1/2 hours. If you ran the Anti-Virus it took all night. as I've mentioned in previous posts, it messed up the hard drive so bad that even after formatting on the ECS system, the bios of my P4 wouldn't even see it! I had to boot it with a 98 boot disk, run Acronis and take out everything, re-partition and format the partitions. I installed XP Pro and have used it in this P4 ever since. The 16x DVD-Rom ran like it was 1x or less, with lots of freezes and synchronization problems. The CD burner also ran very slow and gave all sorts of disk errors.

Before I sent the ECS MB back (for the second time) I installed a PCI high speed IDE card in it, turned off the on-board IDE controller and it worked perfectly. There was also a sound problem with this board and that vanished too!

While this might not be your case, it sure sounds like the same problem.

Happy Computering!

theonejrs

6. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

ScubaBud, the only time i have seen this is when using a wireless router(netgear). The system keeps checking for input or output from the software and just logs down the computer.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On the scrolling from left to right issue, I find i never have to do it on this laptop (1024x768), or on the computers at school (yes, school) but did have to on my CRT monitor on my main PC (1920x1440), and on some of the newer school monitors (1280x1024).
    I think it must be that the site is designed around 1024x768. If you're not happy with it, try changing your screen res.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@theonejrs

I hear you on your MB issue. Mine was a bit different for a couple of reasons. First, my Asus board always performed perfectly before the SATA install and second, everything, (once three minutes went by,) would work perfectly as well.

@baltekmi

Once again, everything works fine after three minutes go by, and even my LAN settings/ISP connection is perfect as well, while booting my AVG Virus protection kicks in and does an update right out of the gate.

Keep in mind that I have daily backup's of my entire HDD by using Drive Image, now Norton Ghost and just wanted to do a complete restore on my new WD1500. The problem turned out to be a software issue/driver issue with my HP 970 Printer. Not my scanner, not my HP 4110, but a “fricken” software issue with that HP970. I also went back to my dual 160's and the problem was there as well making me think it had something to do with the changes made in Disk Manager when adding the new SATA. Something about drive letter changes was not liked by that software, (also have an internal USB card reader showing as 4 separate drives.) By trial and error of bios settings, etc., when shutting down USB enable in my bios I noticed that the hang-up didn't happen and my LAN popped right up as well. So I re-enabled USB in bios, and one by one turned on all my USB devices including Keyboard, HP4110, HP 7400 scanner, Logitech Mic, UPS backup, Palm T3, then my “fricken” HP970 and the problem came back. I uninstalled the drivers for it, loaded the most recent from the Internet and NO MORE PROBLEMS. I then made a fresh backup of my Maxtor 160 HDD, loaded it on the new SATA and in less then 15 minutes, I was up and running once again but this time on the new drive!

Several years ago I had an issue with a Windows hang at boot that turned out to be a software conflict with a Vista Scanner I was using, and by chance another person with the same scanner told me he had the same problem. I found a patch on their website that fixed the issue. It sure would have been nice if they just let their customers know by email about that fix instead of by a chance meeting.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

baltekmi

Drop your memory divider from 400 mhz to 333 mhz and then you'll have more play to raise your frontside bus.

scuba

I've seen several things that can cause that, from improperly installed hardware drivers, to people trying to run two hard drives and both having an operating system installed.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

... which is especially nasty if they've both turned out to be master partitions!

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I agree with both Sophocles and sammorris but in this case, my main system HDD was already set to inactive before the first boot using Drive Copy. There was only one HDD with "system active" on it during boot and in my case no hardware drivers were needed, just bio settings for SATA. This happened when I went into Disk Manager to partition the new SATA. :)

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

scuba

Setting the hard disk to inactive doesn't necessarily work. When I'm installing Windows, sometimes some systems don't seem to recognize boot order so I render my hard drive inactive which leaves only the Rom with windows active. Even though the hard drive is set to none or inactive as you call it windows will still format it and install to it. Try unplugging one of your hard drives and then boot.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

By the way, seriously there wasn't any sarcasm in that post earlier. How do you make a post without sarcasm these days?

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@Sophocles

When first using Disk Manager there was nothing on the WD1500. After I loaded the backup to the WD1500 I then used Drive Copy to make my prior HDD not active just as a safety precaution.

Lastly, I always set bios to boot from the new System HDD which in this case was the WD1500 and disable “Force Bios” so I can make sure that the order that I request is always done. Once again I agree with your comments on doing two systems on one, but that was not the case for me.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ScubaBud

The question is, what changes did you make to your system before you encountered the error?

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sophocles

None, other then Disk Management changes to drive letters that Windows codes in groups.

17. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Scubabud
    When I have a problem like that I use msconfig to kill the startup progams and services until I get to the conflict.
    It sounds like you had a working system after three minutes so it would have been easy to do.

There are so many potholes in the road to computing. Nobody knows them all.

The peripherals are the first things I kill when diagnosing a problem.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Another good suggestion and I agree! I was thinking more of hardware issues at the time when I ran into my problems, (just frustrated,) and didn't kill the startups which is what I should have done first like you mentioned. Sad thing is I know better… LOL

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

It is easy to run off on a tangent when your machine is freaking out.
    That why multiple machines side by side can take the strees out of diagnosing. I always have a backup running. I can strip and start from scratch if I have to.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Sammorris
    LOL It's a bit difficult; especially when you have the likes of Sophocles "yanken yer chain". LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.