1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2nd that!! don't always need a high end system to get a job done whether by intel or amd. if it works for you than why upgrade unless you need to.

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

good point , i mean how much faster can you get anyway with these highend chips AMD or Intel

Its to the point its all about bragging rights as fast as they are

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Better post! Finally someone understands that there's more to Intel vs AMD than the cutting edge, if you discount all but the E6600 upwards (as the X2s can compete with the lower models, and at mentioning the X2s I was hammered) then there's only Intel, but the majority of PC owners won't be going that far, their budgets are lower. Hence Intel vs. AMD is often a tough decision. I intentionally chose an X2 system shortly before the C2D release, and another person I know chose an X2 very recently. They still offer good performance, and if overclocked, so do Pentium Ds, they just get a little bit toasty!

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

well boys and girls the quadro is out, are you rushing down to the shops to get one?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

nope. i'll keep my celeron d 2.53ghz for a while yet as it does what i want it to do.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll let you know if I spot one. I was one of the first to see the mid-range Core 2 Duos arrive. DDP: good point, although my X2 does all I want, AND MORE! :)

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?CatID=11&Category=CPU&ThumbNails=Yes&FilterKeywords=&FilterMinPrice=&FilterMaxPrice=&FilterCategories=447&OrderBy=1

these em sam?

nope theyre laptop ones

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

nope i will pass on it too my AMD Opteron 175 Demark is doing more than fine

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

my AMD Turion64 ML30 is awesome (main machine - laptop running 64bit Mandriva Linux 2006) and my second most-used PC is my dvd/burning PC which is an Athlon 2800XP, still plenty of life in that one..

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All I see on there are duos...

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the memrons threw me.

they talking about them on the buisness part of bbc news early this morning(stock prices on the up as the new cpu comes out blah blah blah) and then that on toms, but nowhere else???

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a "coming soon" not an "out now" as I understand it With the dual cores. Merom is out though, as the T7200 Core 2 Duo for laptops.

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i thought it was coming in time for xmas, but the way they were on about it on tv and the way that page on toms reads, it sounds like its out.

who knows??

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The Core 2 Quadro is DAMN fast. But at what price? In my experiences more cores isn't always instantly better. Unless the program is optimized for multiple cores you aren't going to get a very big performance increase over a single or double core. Those were synthetic benchmarks or compression benches that are indeed optimized but the majority of programs aren't.

Dual cores are still fairly new and I think they will have a bigger market with consumers than quad cores. The raw power is great for a video machine or a benchmarking/development platform but they really have no place amongst your average consumer. Only big time performance nuts are going to waste their time with a quad.

As I see it my 3800 is still VERY fast and can run any program/game with ease. I only overclocked to get a better part for the price. Not because I wanted more raw speed.

As you can see, the only seriously big budget part in my entire machine is the PSU and that's because I don't want a fried system and have to buy new parts.

I really enjoy getting bang for the buck and I reflect that in every part in my computer. The PSU is really the only part I could have gone cheaper on and gotten similar quality but I needed the Liberty brand name for assurance.

Back to subject though. I just don't see an all consuming need to buy overpriced crazy fast parts when I'll never see a benefit in my performance. 90FPS in Half Life 2 with all max settings at 1600 x 1200 is just as good as 120FPS. I can even get a 55-65FPS average in FEAR at all max. It's perfectly playable and more expensive parts won't give me a better experience when I already have an excellent experience on my own.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, but lord, Estuansis, your card isn't exactly low end. It's a mere 6 months behind mine in technology, and even in this industry, that's not a lot. You should be glad about your performance. Unfortunately my monitor dictates 1600x1200 or even 1920x1200 where available for best image quality, and in the most taxing games, that hurts. Dawn of war can sink down to 18fps mid-battle which is annoying, especially when FEAR scores higher! I'm going to install Oblivion soon, so I'll report back then!

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, the thing is I got it for $220 which is an awesome price for that card. It's all bang for buck :)

In Oblivion if you put all your detail/distance slider bars to 25% there is virtually no difference. You'll still see things normally . No pop-in or muddy textures at all.

Just set your building/town and sight distance sliders to 100%. Those are really the only things affected by the settings.(weird)

But that's only on my PC. I've heard different but it looks beautiful for me.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah apparently there's like a makeitpretty patch or something to display the textures cleanly at high draw distance, don't know how that affects performance.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm talking a stock install.

This is one of the few games where almost all the sliders have an impact on performance but none at all on graphics. It's weird but I find it looks the same with all at 25% or 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.