1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

ask in the overclocking thread for more on that.

you could save £50ish and get the abit ab9 mobo which at stock is the fastest mobo out, but it doesn't have some of the features on the p5w.

the samsung 250gb spinpoints are about £50 each so they wont break the bank.

also the jeantech phong2 case has some great cooling and sound reducing propperties but has a look you will love or hate, thats only £50 aswell, but like sam said you have to live with it not us.

edit

other news.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4812

g80s not as power hungry as first reported.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I don't know about your 7700, but the 9500LED is LOUD compared to the Arctic Freezer Pro I replaced it with. It cools better in both my system and my mates P-4 (my old one) as well!

I've been doing some experimenting on the case air flow and discovered that if I use 2 80mm 27 CFM fans blowing in, 1 in the side window and 1 in the front of the case, along with the Thermaltake Thunderblade 120mm that's blowing 78 CFM out the back it all works very well. The remaining 24 CFM draws air in the right side vents in the cover and insures good airflow over the back side of the MB, so the whole thing cools dramaticly better. Even though I'm OC'd to 3.81 on a 3.2 Pressler, it idles in the low 30s and hits a max of 54 stressed! If you are wondering, I bought a 4 pack of Thermaltake 27 CFM 80mm fans for $15 and have been fooling around with them to see what shakes out. With a total of 54 CFM going in and 78 CFM blowing out, the negative pressure insures good airflow around the MB. Even if the CPU reaches 54C, the MB temp has never exceeded 35C in any of my testing since I added the front fan. Later today I'm going to add a front fan to the Prescott and see what that does. Even with the addition of the front fan on my D-940, it's still much quieter than the Prescott/9500 combo without the extra fan! The cases are identical except for color, so everything else is equal!

Next time Tiger has a sale on the Arctic Freezer 4 Pro, the Zalman in the Prescott is history!

Happy Computering,
    theone

3. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

right i see now.how do you guys memorise all the models and that?
    do you like implant it in your long term memory by staring at it for a few hours?

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

He_Man,
    It's really fairly easy as good stuff is easy to remember because folks here talk about good stuff all the time and have no problem telling you when something sucks. When I responded to tgsbfadc's post I kept it light and general, plus he's a newbie! The links I provided are good high quality parts that the results of others have proven to be excellent for the given job. I didn't want to overwhelm him with a whole bunch of links! I think it's much better if he just looks around and asks questions of all of us and then makes a decision as to what he wants to do.

If he came back and said he was considering an ECS MB, I wouldn't hesitate to advise him against one. My own personal experience with ECS has been generally bad and I've found the quality to be poor. If he said that he was thinking about an Asus A8N-SLI, I would give him the thumbs up! I've never owned one, but enough folks here have, and the results they report here and on other Forums tells me that it is a better than average MB. There's a lot more junk out there than there is good high quality parts so it's pretty easy to remember which is which!

I like the Arctic Freezer Pro CPU coolers. Why? Because they have proven themselves to be superior to the Zalman 9500LED in both of the Intel systems we have here. That might differ with someone elses findings. I've found that there are too many variables in components and case design to say that a certain cooling product is best. What works exceptionally well for me, may dissappoint someone else because of differences in those variables. I used the 9500 in my Prescott and had it OC'd from 3.0 to 3.94 and used it in an air conditioned room. It worked fine. My buddy that I sold it to doesn't have AC, and in that environment the 9500 works poorly and he is running stock 3.0! It's the same case and fans as mine, it's just the Freezer 4 works better in the Prescott at higher temps. Both are excellent coolers but the Arctics seem to work better for the both of us. They are also a heck of a lot quieter!

I run my Intel 3.2 D-940 at 3.81 and it is idling right now t 35C in a 25C room. Like I said, it works well for me!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most of the good overclocks I've seen have been with the Asus P5WDH and the Gigabyte DS3 series, and of the two, I'd prefer the Asus based on its features. It's expensive, but good overclocking components are...
    To be honest, Russ, the 7000 doesn't seem very quiet at all at 12V, it's not loud, but when my GPU fan is on loud and my PSU is cool, it's by far the loudest fan.
    How quiet is your thunderblade Russ? I added one temporarily (with horrible colour changing lights I'm going to cut off) and it was very loud, but when i ran it up outside my case, it was silent, so I think it must vibrate a lot...
    Hehe I can add to your support of A8N-SLi series boards Russ! grrr, I wanted a Freezer but couldn't get one!

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    It's extremely quiet! I was very skeptical of the reported 21db because of the high 78CFM, but was happy when my worries proved unfounded. I really think I'm on to something here with the fans as the difference in temps is like night and day. I think I've struck a good balance between forced air in combined with forced air out. Making the input roughly 2/3 of the output makes a huge difference and allows better air flow within the case because the Thunderblade is still pulling 78CFM. It's been on all day and the idle temp is 35C with a room temp of 25C. If I load it down with a burn-in at 100% CPU usage it just barely hits 54C. When I first turn on the computer the MB temp is always a couple of degrees above the ambient room temp! It "NEVER" gets higher than 35C unless the room temp gets above 27C (warm), even when the CPU gets to 54C. It's interesting that as soon as the load is removed from the CPU the temp drops like a brick. The MB takes a little longer to cool but it too gets down to 30-32C.

You are right about the 2 motherboards for the Conroe. I've seen pretty much the same results for both motherboards, 3.4 to 3.6 on air. I would go with the GigaByte strictly because of the ceramic capacitors. There's not a whole lot to choose from either way but the GigaByte is a whole lot cheaper. The capacitors wouldn't matter very much here because it's very dry, but in a damper environment it would eventually make a big difference. It's interesting that ceramic caps are nothing new and were used quite a bit in the 30s and 40s but eventually gave way to waxed paper/foil. Seems they had it right way back when! LOL!

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I usually beam my thoughts to the mothership as I am from uranius. Which keeps my active memory free. On apon needing memory unlogging I log on to the download logging whicj refils my active memory with recent uploaded thought or data.lol
    This a parody and is not approved by any canadate running for office. Please take this in joking manner it was intented for.

8. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sam, you think the new boards are expensive, try to buy one of the premium 478 mobos of yesteryear. My abit ic7g which I bought for 130 us, can be found for(new)245.00 us! rediculious! ebay is not much better

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Baltekmi,
    Look straight up above the quote on the left side of your post!! Gotcha!LMAO!!! and don't forget to duck!!!

Beam me up Scotty!!!LOL!!!

theone

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

For those here interested in same facts on the Intel Quad cores, heres a very good link to some tests made with the latest releases.

I'm not trying to justify quad cores to anyone BTW, merely passing on what seems to be a very good set of test results, which show just how far Intel have pushed performance.
    They are lined up against Core 2 and AMD CPUs for a comparison.
    As an avid video editor, having the extra power would help me, but not everyone I know.
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7129&page=1

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No doubt they have their uses, but for a lot of people I doubt they can justify the extra expense. I'd love to see how good the performance of 4x4 will be though!

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Hopefully someone can post a link to the results as soon as they are available, it will be interesting to see how they compare.
    I can't find anything other than details on the AMD's new CPU architecture, which isn't exactly riveting reading.

As for prices, then eventually everything comes down in price, so patience will be rewarded for those that don't have endless pockets, at least the products are arriving, so we'll all end with with them in the end.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

we all live in hope :)

the things that stand out the most for me are, how well the pent d does when you factor in that it is old tech(and its price) and that amds are more competative with games.

it comes down to what you use your pc for most. me im screwed as i am either playing on fear/bf 2142/quake4/n.f.s.c. or encoding a dvd.

i have to say that i too cant wait to see what amd have up thier sleave with the 4x4. i think then we will all be in a better place to plan our upgrade path/next component purchase.

oh yea, thanks for the link that a good read.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

As for where AMD is heading, this is very interesting.

As the article says, it's unlikely to totally replace individual devices, but having the CPU/GPU processing combined on one device will certainly give a major boost in some areas of performance, and will hopefully go some way to halting the upward trend of PSU wattage requirements.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7094

I'm also waiting to see how the AMD/ATI merger affects the NVIDIA/AMD relationship, and if at last that brings official support for SLi from Intel platforms.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have a feeling that's going to give us better, cheaper, more powerful integrated graphics, but that any high end system is going to still require cards, at least for the next few years.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Sound somewhat familiar? I made a prediction something like that back when AMD bought ATi, only I thought ot would be on-board graphics rather than a CPU/GPU combo. Caught a lot of static for that one. It's nice to be right for once!LOL!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Maybe you can buy a straight-up chip OR one with an integrated graphics solution. Depending on what you want. So you aren't bound to buying a card right away for a motherboard without integrated graphics. Or maybe they'll release the new ATi cards with AMD GPUs which might put them far ahead of the new nVidia series.

So far the changes and ideas have been within my comfort zone... removable graphics aren't in my comfort zone... bah(the brayings of a senile old man) :p

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

HTX offers real promise in the future, but until a few years time, the graphics-on-cpu chips aren't likely to be high end I don't think. Where's the memory for them?

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Maybe they'll revert back to slot processors? And put the memory chips on the card... dunno, it's possible I guess.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    That would be me!ROFL

theone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.